Field of View setting for accessibility and nausea reduction

m811

I tried a bunch of FOV distances last night, and sure enough, performance DID suffer :(

I'll continue playing around. I didn't feel a big difference, in my nausea, from one FOV to another. The lighting and weather effects may be having a bigger impact on me.

I can't remember the command now, but I used "help" and turned weathersurvival (?) to disabled. Which did nothing for anything rofl. It was still snowing. I figured, well, maybe I wouldn't suffer from the cold or heat. I took off my jacket and started freezing immediately.

Bah!

I also tried things like 'weather snow 0' but it kept snowing.

Performance is not an argument, and rather a cheap excuse. Its a PC game with a wide range of hardware its running on and lots of other options that change performance.

Of course forcing a lower FOV will have the game run with higher FPS on average on that one machine, so the performance "improved". At the expense of the users freedom to adjust the setting according to his systems capabilities and play-preferences.

Fixed FOV is usually a move done on consoles (fixed hardware, strict approval requirements).

Overall a very paternalistic move...

I gotta say though, I think this is the first time I've ever heard of a dev disabling FOV because players blamed the game of poor performance. I mean, there's plenty of other things to blame. It's all good as long as there's still a way to change the FOV.

Its a common practice.

Most times performance, other times because things arent rendered and allowing it to change would expose *those* things, sometimes both.

(vehicle interiors in racing games etc)

• 10 months later...
Can you set a server to allow users to execute the sg OptionsFieldOfViewNew xx command? I can run it on my local game but when i try to set it via console on a server it blocks me. Or just but it back in the graphics options where it belongs ?

I also have this problem. I run a dedicated server for some friends, and I would like to allow everyone, including myself, to change the FOV.

I have horrible motion sickness with games with a lot of headbob. The one thing that has helped me a lot is playing in a well lit room. Dark rooms don't allow your brain to lock onto a "real world" horizon/surface and the motion sickness getS bad quick. The other thing that helps is sitting back from the monitor enough that it only takes up 50% or less of your vision.

Good luck and hope that helps! This kind of thing has caused me to miss out on MANY FPS perspective games.

I have horrible motion sickness with games with a lot of headbob. The one thing that has helped me a lot is playing in a well lit room. Dark rooms don't allow your brain to lock onto a "real world" horizon/surface and the motion sickness getS bad quick. The other thing that helps is sitting back from the monitor enough that it only takes up 50% or less of your vision.

Good luck and hope that helps! This kind of thing has caused me to miss out on MANY FPS perspective games.

ugh head bob...seriously, why do games think that bobbing around is good?

I really wish more game devs and testers suffered from motion sickness (specifically game induced), because I swear trying to explain this to someone who doesn't get it is like pulling teeth. My husband doesn't get motion sick, and I have to continually point out why certain games bother me or things I have to do to make them playable (or remind him that no matter how much I enjoy the idea of a certain game, there is zero chance I can play it with him because five minutes in makes me nauseous)

I find that sometimes I have to turn my graphics down, even if my computer can run the higher resolution graphics, it makes me feel sick more if there is too much detail. That and sneak is my friend (running too fast, running for too long...these definitely are going to make me feel worse)

I tried a bunch of FOV distances last night, and sure enough, performance DID suffer :(

I'll continue playing around. I didn't feel a big difference, in my nausea, from one FOV to another. The lighting and weather effects may be having a bigger impact on me.

I can't remember the command now, but I used "help" and turned weathersurvival (?) to disabled. Which did nothing for anything rofl. It was still snowing. I figured, well, maybe I wouldn't suffer from the cold or heat. I took off my jacket and started freezing immediately.

Bah!

I also tried things like 'weather snow 0' but it kept snowing.

Try weather snowfall 0

I've been experimenting with the weather, setting each to 0:

Fog, Clouds, Rain, Wet, Snow, Snowfall

Afterwards, I use weathersurvival off. You know, just to be sure =)

Helps with performance and fog loathing.

Archived