Editing Height Maps

Guppycur

Here are the patched DLLs (till the fixed version comes from TFP).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofenxy18fm8t9cm/swa_smoothworldall_patched_DLL_files.zip

Basically there is a bug where smoothworldall (swa) when used with noregion flag, assumes the world is 4096x4096.

I've hacked versions of the DLL for alternate world sizes.

A more improved fix would be to first check the world size is square (since the math for smoothing requires that), then set the array, loop, and writing sizes based on the actual world.

Code Compare of Stock and modified for 8192x8192:

CodeCompare_Stock_vs_8192.gif

This allows the 'swa <numpasses> noregion' command to be used from the console to smooth the world and make it look not so minecrafty. Just pick the DLL for the sized world you've got.

'swa 5 noregion' being a nice value.

Very nice ! :-)

Do you have also a fixed .dll for the mapsize of 15360x12288 ? Do not wonder, i adjusted my map size to the existing TGA size, so not more world would be rendered then needed. And it worked until the rollback of random gen came.

You can even create 1024x1024 maps if you want to :-D

Or do i have to wait for the official patch ? Or should i go the nasty way and resize my biomes.png and TGAs again to a standard size, hmm.

Edited by Sam_Neill (see edit history)

Very nice ! :-)

Do you have also a fixed .dll for the mapsize of 15360x12288 ? Do not wonder, i adjusted my map size to the existing TGA size, so not more world would be rendered then needed. And it worked until the rollback of random gen came.

You can even create 1024x1024 maps if you want to :-D

Or do i have to wait for the official patch ? Or should i go the nasty way and resize my biomes.png and TGAs again to a standard size, hmm.

I'm not surprised you can make map sizes of just about any size.

As for fixed for smoothing of a 15360x12288 , no. The way the smoothing routine itself is written, the math that is used requires a square world. I had a nice image that was 16384x10240 I was thinking of using as a heightmap till I hit that. I ended up squeezing and stretching that one to 13312x13312.

Well iam just doing resizing, should work pretty fast cause i did the biomes.png, street layout and height map as layered paint.net file and then i can export each layer accordingly and save as the right format.

So its easier for me to paint streets and terrain and city places first, activating or deactivating the layer i want to.

Thank you :)

Does not work for me, at least not for the 13312x13312 size. I do have to replace the Assembly-CSharp.dll in the 7daystodie/7daystodie_Data/managed folder right ? And rename it ofc ?

World loads, but still has sharp steps. What did went wrong ? Maybe i made the mistake ( i guess so).

Edit:

-Deleted the savegames

-deleted the .raw file too so a new one gets generated

No luck.

Ah okay, perfect...

...so what the dll does is allows you to run the smoothworld command on maps larger than the 4k (I think).

SmoothWorldAll is the cmd.

Correct:

swa 5 noregion

or

smoothworldall 5 noregion

5 being the number of passes.

Remember you'll have to delete your region files from your save or start a new game after.

The noregion flag tells smoothworldall to update the dtm.raw instead of writing region files.

Correct:

swa 5 noregion

or

smoothworldall 5 noregion

5 being the number of passes.

Remember you'll have to delete your region files from your save or start a new game after.

The noregion flag tells smoothworldall to update the dtm.raw instead of writing region files.

Thank you, the command was the one thing Im missing here.

The modified dlls smooth even more then the regular files, which is nice, but i guess i will wait for the official patch for this, otherwise i might get different world smoothing and would have to replace all prefabs again. Thank you very much for your effort and have a happy new year! :smile-new:

Ah okay, perfect...

...so what the dll does is allows you to run the smoothworld command on maps larger than the 4k (I think).

SmoothWorldAll is the cmd.

Thank you for helping, too.

I wish you a happy new year too! :smile-new:

Edited by Red Eagle LXIX (see edit history)

Thank you, the command was the one thing Im missing here.

The modified dlls smooth even more then the regular files, which is nice, but i guess i will wait for the official patch for this, otherwise i might get different world smoothing and would have to replace all prefabs again. Thank you very much for your effort and have a happy new year! :smile-new:

Thank you for helping, too.

I wish you a happy new year too! :smile-new:

The modified DLL files do not alter the smoothing algorithm. The changes are after the smoothing code. The changes only affects the writing to the dtm.raw. They allow for sizes other than 4096x4096 when writing to the dtm.raw. CodeCompare_Stock_vs_8192.gif

Maybe your world needs less smoothing in which case you might only want a single pass 'swa 1 noregion'.

Thanks for all this great info guys. Watching videos and trying different things with seed and map generation the last week, and through a lot of trial and error making good progress. Going to try this file now. Also having issues with certain areas filling up with road tiles in paint.net when removing/modifying roads. Going to try paint black behind as suggested. I let you know how it works.

One thing, should I be saving to 32 bit? Clean files says 32bit, but i noticed some files were lower bitrate after i modified and saved them. I did have the save auto detecting the file, which i just hard set to 32 bit, hope that helps. Also, the files seem to be getting smaller as I modify them. Granted, I'm not removing large areas of the roadmap, Ive been adding roads and shuffling buildings around. Any ideas?

Edit - Figured it out d'oh. Painted empty space in with solid black, bingo.

Edited by Krunch (see edit history)

I am in the process of putting together a tutorial for taking this image and converting it to a heightmap and using that start-to-finish into a world. I expect to finish today or tomorrow. I will also include the modified DLLs necessary and a fully realized world (one town, one trader).

NOTE: The method I am using requires hand painting biomes and roads as well as manual placement of water and POIs.

The world BackgroundLife is available for download. Quick guide and screenshots tomorrow. Took a bit longer than expected due to New Year's . :)

Just a Proof of Concept world to show the possibility of taking an external image and making a world. I borrowed Perishton and Diersville so the world would have 2 towns.

@sam

They are just graphics that i edited in b231, i saved for rainy day. I can zip and up load them if you want to experiment with the biome terrain layout. But you will have to adjust your prefabs and water, i blcked them out as i tested. I started in 197 since they are images and TFP can't change their format. ;)

If you make a good terrain in 197 you can copy those file from world folder to next, and use them. in b240 you ned Reds dll for it to accept with out going mincraft on the

screen.

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles (see edit history)

You delete or rename the raw file, delete the region files in

appdata\...\your saves. Edit your tga and it will rebuild and

synch you raw to it. If you have a good raw file then you can

copy the shaded layer to the tga main layer/channels to do

additional edits.

Once ground terrain is as you want then you

pick order of biomes and splat. I use photoshop and copy

the raw layer with the poi circles to first layer, add on

copy streets add one copy tga add one compy biome.

Then

starting at second layer progressively lower opacity per layer

so in the end i can see all have them lined up. so my edits are

accurate to map. Then i copy each layer back to its respective

file. save and load game.

The other choices are in the tutorial

i posted above. it included one terrain texture to clone in areas.

I read these posts, watched some videos, and read Red Eagle's Background Life post.

I'm just looking to change the biome. I dont want to manually create POI, Water, etc....

I'm good with random gen everything else.

I thought (per some other posts) that I could swap out biomes.png.

I took New Esisi Valley and swapped biomes.png with the one attached. Everything seemed to work ok for a while, then I started to see chunk generation errors (null reference exception).

Any ideas? I tried to make sure the colors were right. No blending or any colors outside the ones listed by Red Eagle.

(cant seem to attach an image)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c90lghg6o1abvs/biomes-final.png?dl=0

Edited by ecksfiftyone (see edit history)

I read these posts, watched some videos, and read Red Eagle's Background Life post.

I'm just looking to change the biome. I dont want to manually create POI, Water, etc....

I took New Esisi Valley and swapped biomes.png with the one attached. Everything seemed to work ok for a while, then I started to see chunk generation errors (null reference exception).

Any ideas? I tried to make sure the colors were right. No blending or any colors outside the ones listed by Red Eagle.

I downloaded your file and the image has a color count of 34.

Do you have the rough (close enough) game coordinates of where you were at when spawned without terrain?

I'm guessing you're on a Mac.

The .tga does not appear to be generated on my Mac either.

Presumably, we should still be able to edit the .raw file... but I'm still coming up with a workflow for this.

I'm on a PC and I'm not getting a dtm.tga file either. Don't think the issue is with a Mac.

As I previously mentioned yours had 34 colors. I have reduced this to 5.

Whoops, accidentally uploaded the file before saving the final copy.

Link fixed (sorry):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4su07859jxtfxqz/biomes-final-5color-fixed.png

Ecksfiftyone.

Try this step by step for test.

1 Download Red's dll with correct size change for your world

2 open PNG in paint.net

"snow" "#FFFFFF">

"pine_forest" "#004000">

"desert" "#FFE477">

"water" "#0063ff">

"wasteland" "#ffa800">

"burnt_forest" "#ba00ff">

4 Pick your biome color from here

5 use Eyedropper and paste it there