Editing Height Maps

Guppycur

Also if you want to know some areas in your image where the colors are off (perhaps to identify which tools didn't keep them correct) here are a few spots. Note this is not a full listing of where incorrectly colored pixels are (quite a number). Just a small sample of some I found.

Snow Biome: #FEFEFE instead of #FFFFFF

Burnt Forest #B900FE instead of #BA00FF

Wasteland #FFA701 instead of #FFA800

--

Side note for any artistic folks and/or just those smarter about Photoshop/Gimp/Krita than I.

I have not figured out how to get this information in Photoshop/Gimp/Krita easily.

Is there a simple function like this in any of those?:

kDqV58Y.jpg

Edited by Red Eagle LXIX
typos, question, img link (see edit history)

Wow... Thanks so much! Can you share how you discovered that, and what tool you used to fix it?

Nevermind... I see you answered this already!

Found the answer on how to see the count in Photoshop (and even see the list of colors {switch from exact to custom [should probably just set the custom list before creating the new file]}):

7PnJBcJ.jpg

What i have found out that works pretty good for the splat3.png is paint.net and then using the following tool to eradicate all colors between red and background (example: the big streets)

https://imgur.com/a/pbl2tUz

Sorry, its german, but you can see how to transform the colors "in between" to match either the background or the foreground.

Maybe this helps someone with "painting" streets in splat3.png.

splat3Kurven.jpg.dbbdf606771f72528a6fb1c2263cc6ac.jpg

Edited by Sam_Neill (see edit history)

For A17.1 (B8) there is no dtm.tag file.

There is a "dtm_processed.raw" generated form "dtm.raw".

So I guess we will have to edit "dtm.raw". But I couldn´t find

a way how to open / save this file. Any idea ?

It's dtm.tga and if it's missing, then you can just make one in a graphics program that can export in tga format.

For A17.1 (B8) there is no dtm.tag file.

There is a "dtm_processed.raw" generated form "dtm.raw".

So I guess we will have to edit "dtm.raw". But I couldn´t find

a way how to open / save this file. Any idea ?

You can use Gimp with a .raw plugin

ok thanx for help! Using a .tga still works.

Now I ve some more questions:

Where can I get a .tga with 16k size or do I ve to stretch the 4k one ?

Another thing is: I tried to make a world with water an islands so I set the

waterlevel in water_info.xml to a higher value:

( <Water pos="0, 48, 0" minx="-2048" maxx="2048" minz="-2048" maxz="2048"/> )

That seems to raise the water level like I expected BUT prefabs and streets still need to be generated under that new conditions.... how can I do that ?

EDIT: Raising water level by editing the rwgmixer works for creating a water world like i want it but generated world does not contain roads nor prefabs. :(

Edited by WhiteLion (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
You can use Gimp with a .raw plugin

I tried opening the dtm.raw using gimp with the 2 suggested raw plugins, as well as ufraw, still no luck. I was able to get the files to open in ImageJ, but it doesnt want to register any changes in the file even after deleting saves for the world and all that. I can see lines ive drawn on the file when i reopen it editor, but no changes show on map.

Hey, I don't seem to have a dtm.tga file in any of my generated worlds? Just the raw file.

Yeah they changed a lot of how this works over the past few versions which is why I'm not updating my video until they settle on a method, but you can just edit the raw file directly in Photoshop.

Yeah fair enough Guppycur. I've moved away from wanting to edit the generated heightmap now. I'm now using L3DT Pro for creating the heightmaps. It exports in 16bit png's though.

I haven't as yet got a chance to do it, but thinking to follow these steps?

- Generate a world of the right size (8192 in this case).

- Delete the raw file.

- Plug in a dtm.png file (which must be an 8bit PNG greyscale image)

- Remove any region files (if they exist)

- Load up the game and launch the map

Sound about right?

After I get this working I'm going to see if I can write an application that will (using the png heightmap) go through all the POIs and elevate them to the correct height.

I think the raw files are 16bit; I got Minecraft blocks when doing 8bit.

But yeh pretty much.

I use http://terrain.party to grab a file, and edit THAT file, doing a save-as in Photoshop... Always editing the open file, never the saved file... Delete .rg files, test, repeat.

Also, Gaia (a unity app) also exports height maps, and it's kind of nice for terrain terraforming, AND it's close if not the same to what madmole says they're going to use.

I think the raw files are 16bit; I got Minecraft blocks when doing 8bit.

Great, thanks mate, I'll try with the files straight out of L3DT then and see how I go.

Incidentally, I've put the heightmaps on my google drive : here

I use http://terrain.party to grab a file, and edit THAT file, doing a save-as in Photoshop... Always editing the open file, never the saved file... Delete .rg files, test, repeat.

Ok, I don't have Photoshop. I'll try with Krita instead, but given I don't need to convert to 8bit I won't need to edit initially.

Also, Gaia (a unity app) also exports height maps, and it's kind of nice for terrain terraforming, AND it's close if not the same to what madmole says they're going to use.

Looked up Gaia, looks like it's a paid app yeah? L3DT Pro is essentially free (perpetual 72 day trial), have you tried it? I'm just getting started with it, but it does have 3d editing capability.

I picked Gaia up for like 5 bucks on a humble bundle deal once; suits my needs and I'm not great with change. :)

But I find it only good for the initial random generation of terrain plus the stamps, after that I'm using straight unity to flatten, raise and lower terrain.

The workflow from start to finish is intense, and is a driving force behind me waiting til gold to do another tut.

I got tired of free apps for photos so uh, acquired Photoshop just for this purpose... It's just easier.

I picked Gaia up for like 5 bucks on a humble bundle deal once; suits my needs and I'm not great with change. :)

But I find it only good for the initial random generation of terrain plus the stamps, after that I'm using straight unity to flatten, raise and lower terrain.

The workflow from start to finish is intense, and is a driving force behind me waiting til gold to do another tut.

I got tired of free apps for photos so uh, acquired Photoshop just for this purpose... It's just easier.

Yeah fair enough, I'll have to keep an eye out to see if it goes on special at all.

I bet, which is why I'm going to try writing a program to (at the very least) do the heavy lifting. I mean at the end of the day I wanna play too.

Each their own, being a Dev I eventually steered away from that practice especially when (up until now maybe) Gimp, Blender etc do everything I needed.

I own 99% of what I use, but I can't abide by adobe's intrusiveness and current pricing scheme.

Amen to that.

Hey mate, I need some help on the smoothworldall front. I used the height maps I generated with L3DT tonight, and they're all Alpha2\minecrafty, Is that because they're 16bit? or do I need to use smoothworldall? And if so, how exactly do you use it? Do you load up the game map first? But then delete the region files?

Cheers.