Why we need a Dig/Don't Dig slider.

Noompsie

I have noticed posts here on the forum, in which some posters are obviously overjoyed that the zombies can dig and the people that used to base underground are no longer safe. What I don't understand is why. Why are people so happy that everyone will now have to battle zombies face to face. It doesnt impact on them if someone else digs a hole and lives in it does it? Am I missing something?

I for instance have 3,600 hours in 7 days. I love killing zombies during the day, and I never avoid a roaming hoard. In real life I am a 71 year old grandmother with eyesight and reflexes which are not what they used to be. My reaction time means that fighting a running zombie is certain death. This is why I retreat underground at night.

Should that preclude me from playing 7 days 2 die? I enjoy gaming and don't have a use by date, so will be doing it as long as I am able.

I know I can stay with A16.4, but that mean I can't try any of the new systems which have been implemented.

Truth is that in digging to bedrock, I am enjoying the game MY way. Please give us the option to turn the digging on or off.

It's not about battleing zombies face to face, it's about balancing the game so that you can't just dig a hole in the ground, hide in it, and beat the game. The whole point is to survive the hordes by being smart or by building a strong fortress, but if there are easy ways to exploit the AI then there's no point in having hordes in the first place.

I'm usually in favor of more options, but not in this case. If there's an option for dig/don't dig, there should be one for jump/don't jump, stun/don't stun, infect/don't infect... etc.

The problem is that many people want to play this game as a sandbox. If there has to be an option, a sandbox mode (something in between creative/survival) would at least be better than 999 different options about death penalty, digging etc.

I actually dig that idea (no pun intended). A sandbox mode that isn't creative mode, and is planned to play passive and calmer than normal mode.

I agree with the OP and I agree with the folks that don't like the "Living in a hole", with that said. if you really think about what the OP is saying, and I mean really think about it. No one should be telling anyone else how to play "their" game, the person that bought the game is the only one that should have a choice in how they play that game while staying within the programing of the game.

Now I know no one paid for my game when purchased back in Alpha 4 when I started playing this fantastic game since then I have seen so many different posts about living in a hole or building a base underground, and over half if not more of the replies have always been about others telling the poster that they are stupid, breaking the game, not skilled, avoiding the point of a survival game, or just plain telling them how to play a game they bought and paid for. To be fair there are a lot of those replies giving suggestions and or help with their issues.

I for one hate the digging Zed's not because I am living underground but if I were NO ONE has the right to tell me I'm stupid or breaking the game or not playing the game the correct way. The reason I don't like the digging is that I can no longer mine day or night without having a mob of Zed's killing me. Even at bedrock the issue is still there, I spend more time the next morning/afternoon (game time) repairing the holes that are several if not 10's of blocks deep. Just about 10 mins ago on Day 18 I found that I missed a hole and had a group of at least 15 Zeds in my bedrock mine.

I am all for making the game hard and A17 has done that however, being able to mine is a important part of the game for resources, yes I also hit the "Surface Rocks" as well. I have found that minning returns more resources that those damn Rocks on the surface provide. One of the selling points of this game is being able to MOD it with either built in features or from our great Modder's. I for one don't see a reason not to have a built in "Slider" for Digging/NoDigging. It's an option that only affects the single player or a server and if it's a server and you like the digging then find a server that has digging turned on.

Can you imagine every player that owns and plays this fantastic game all playing with the same settings or server configuration? No, I did not think so as the player base would dry up and the game would die before it gets out of Alpha. Is this something that all of you folks that seem dead set against anyone playing this game different than you do. How long do you think the Fun Pimps can afford not to keep up with the built in options unless they truly don't care about the life of the game, after all they started down the road allowing the use of Mods or non standard built in options to allow a growing player base and long game life.

Just think before you post telling someone else how the game should be played when you have no clue as to why someone would want or need to play the game different than you. what if I were to tell you that I only have one arm and using a melee club and moving at the same time is very difficult for me and if Zed's are running during the day I can't defend myself or what if I were to tell you I'm a spelunker who enjoys creating a cave system/maze that I can invite my buddies over to enjoy a huge cave system that they have to survive and find a way out while only carrying a limited amount of food and water and a club? How does this affect your game?

let the mud throwing begin......

I agree with the OP and I agree with the folks that don't like the "Living in a hole", with that said. if you really think about what the OP is saying, and I mean really think about it. No one should be telling anyone else how to play "their" game, the person that bought the game is the only one that should have a choice in how they play that game while staying within the programing of the game.

None cares about how others play. It's about the "game telling you how to play" like it does in every other mechanic it has AKA it's how games work. For example, I want to build underground and still get threatened, because I bought a survival/TD/sandbox/RPG game. I wouldn't mind though if there was a mode for people, who paid little attention to Steam tags and want to play this game as a sandbox/RPG game only.

Like I said in another post, I think the best solution to this is to greatly reduce the amount of damage they can do to the tops of blocks. Sand and dirt they should be able to dig better than they can beat on a wood wall, but beating on wood/rock/concrete should be far more effective than digging at it. Not sure it's possible to implement, but if they could add some balance to where the blocks are hit and make different types of blocks more impervious to decayed skin and bone, that would help.

They also need to make the blocks dampen sound. If I'm digging 20 meters underground, it should be virtually impossible for the sound to permeate 18 blocks of rock and dirt. At least you'd have to be very close to where the sound is being made and it would be absolutely impossible to pinpoint the sound if you can hear it.

I should be able to dig a tunnel and reinforce it with concrete and be almost completely safe.

The game has an option to turn off zombies.

These people do want zombies but only when they decide to fight them (only in POIs, when they scavenge etc). I admit it would suck spawning them through console. I am not judging them, but this is a survival/TD game after all and the normal mode isn't meant to be a sandbox so a sandbox mode might be a solution for these people.

The problem is that many people want to play this game as a sandbox. If there has to be an option, a sandbox mode (something in between creative/survival) would at least be better than 999 different options about death penalty, digging etc.

That sounds like the better option. +1.

These people do want zombies but only when they decide to fight them (only in POIs, when they scavenge etc). I admit it would suck spawning them through console. I am not judging them, but this is a survival/TD game after all and the normal mode isn't meant to be a sandbox so a sandbox mode might be a solution for these people.

It's also a building/crafting game, and people would like the building part of it to mean something. Most of the criticisms I see are quite fair. Zombie spawning and hearing is broken. They're waaaay overpowered, and base building is a pointless endeavor.

Archived