RWG Question A17 Experimental

FastBurst

Has anyone figured out how to change the RWGmixer yet? I have tried to edit a few things but nothing seems to be really changing much or at all.

Example Seeds (EverQuest and A17) - in A16 they are drastically different worlds generated. in A17 they seem and look very similar.

Also I commented out Wasteland and Burnt Forest and replaced them with Pine_Forest for example. Yet when generated there are still Wasterlands and Burnt_Forest areas on the map. So I am not entirely sure that the RWG is even rendering properly or if it is just set in stone for now. Can anyone else verify that they are actually seeing changes on theirs?

Example I am seeing the Exact same Road Layouts and flat areas, hardly any water or mountains anywhere.

I am only editing the Vanilla mixer file itself - I haven't even added in any custom prefabs or tweaks to it other than literally replacing Wasteland and Burnt_forest to located at the bottom of the file.

If it is locked down for now and changing or editing this files makes no difference on the RWG right now then I don't want to try to keep editing it if it doesn't work.

Biomes are not able to be adjusted through the old method.

Short term solution:

Make map.

Exit out.

Go to your worlds file and select the biomes.png

open it in a paint program and color away.

Only use the colors they use though, so match them.

Don't use any blending tools or any type of feathering/dithering, just the flat color.

turn off AA that may be enabled.

Then save.

Then start your world.

Short term solution:

Make map.

Exit out.

Don't use any blending tools or any type of feathering/dithering, just the flat color.

Then save.

Then start your world.

So I am assuming the rwgmixer is now just for generating cities then? and really doesn't effect the world like before?

Cell rules work.

Hub rules work.

Wilderness rules work.

Prefab rules work.

The terrain gen works.

biome generator, no.

biome spawn rules, no.

edit: we also can't adjust the hub sizes.

The preview is deceptive, since it's just giving general details, especially when generating 8k and 16k worlds.

They look generally the same because of the scale, but they're not really.

Guess I spoke too soon, Tin. Tried what you described, opened up the biomes.png, copied the green color and painted over all the purple and orange spots, saved it, loaded the world back up and found all the distant terrain has been changed to wasteland biome. Flew around for a bit, and chunk generation is essentially broken and I got console errors popping up whenever I move past the the initial chunk that's loaded. Have you tried this method yourself in A17? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.. I'm using win7 Paint to do the edits.

Guess I spoke too soon, Tin. Tried what you described, opened up the biomes.png, copied the green color and painted over all the purple and orange spots, saved it, loaded the world back up and found all the distant terrain has been changed to wasteland biome. Flew around for a bit, and chunk generation is essentially broken and I got console errors popping up whenever I move past the the initial chunk that's loaded. Have you tried this method yourself in A17? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.. I'm using win7 Paint to do the edits.

I use paint.net so not familiar win7paint.

Yep, I messed with it.

and just in case: make sure you start a new game.

I did start a new game, tried it on two different newly generated worlds. I'm using the "new game" option to generate a new random world. Once the world is finished generating it loads the game up right after, then I quit the game and do my edits. Should I be doing something else? I'm going to try doing the edits in paint.net and see what happens, thanks. Edit: I generated a world using the previewer, I'm gonna try doing the edits with paint.net now before I enter the world for the first time.

I did start a new game, tried it on two different newly generated worlds. I'm using the "new game" option to generate a new random world. Once the world is finished generating it loads the game up right after, then I quit the game and do my edits. Should I be doing something else? I'm going to try doing the edits in paint.net and see what happens, thanks. Edit: I generated a world using the previewer, I'm gonna try doing the edits with paint.net now before I enter the world for the first time.

crap.. well that's embarrassing.

I have a custom script I'm using to override what they did. I'll try to get a hold of the maker and see if I can pass it on.

srry about that guys.. very, very, sorry, I forgot that I was using that.

hopefully I can pass it along to you all..

So, I'm assuming the edits can't be done without said script? I'm a bit lost to be completely honest lol... Every edit I've tried using win7 Paint and paint.net have resulted in console errors and broken worlds. Your help is appreciated, thank you! All this because I hate the burnt forest biome being spread all over the place.. hah!

So, I'm assuming the edits can't be done without said script? I'm a bit lost to be completely honest lol... Every edit I've tried using win7 Paint and paint.net have resulted in console errors and broken worlds. Your help is appreciated, thank you! All this because I hate the burnt forest biome being spread all over the place.. hah!

I had a person make me a script, to bypass what they did, so I could adjust the biomes. Now I feel bad for forgetting I had that installed and inadvertently misleading you all :(

I'm trying to get a hold of them and see if I can pass on what they did so others can use it, till TFP finish their terrain/biome gen stuff.

Batman Let me know id the biome paint thing work I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, me and Smegzor have been working on the Botman Server manager getting that working for A17 and we just tested that and is compatible with A17 now.

But I really want to get the RWG working again, I don't like having any lakes or mountains LOL

Do I understand this right:

Short term solution:

Make map.

Exit out.

Then save.

Then start your world.

You can take the biomes.png and then simply paint in the biomes as you want them and when you start the next game, it will create the biomes from the image? With that script you're using?

That would be incredibly awesome. Of course I tried it, but the world did not even load. But - can you somehow use more than the 5 (+ water) biomes vanilla is using these days? It would truly suck if they restricted it to these few.

Also, as it seems, cells are gone, so you can't place any buildings anywhere anymore. The whole world is just one big cell, right? Then again, you have that prefabs.xml in the same folder where the biomes.png is. There you can place any building, I assume, so it'd at least still be possible to send players to specific locations..

Vanilla's world generation is overall fairly meh. The trend to have snow in the north and desert in the south is neat, but there is not enough wasteland. It should have much larger patches of that.

Edit: And the dtm.tga file is the height-map, right? So you could really make a custom map with that.

Correct because the biggest you can generate currently is the 8192 size, the largest size is actually disabled. TFP stated that in the release notes because they are working on speeding up the process for the maps.

However I am still trying to figure out the paint method for the biome.png and how to get that working properly.

Anyone figure it correctly? I know @tin gave some brief insturctions but not exactly sure when to do what steps and where.

Archived