Performance - 4k awful

SurvivalUK

Following up from the general performance thread i wanted to see if any other 4k gamers are experiencing similar awful performance in A17e? General world performance is poor compared with 16.4 but indoor performance tanks significantly.

Spec (no potato @madmole):

6700k @ 4.6Gz, 32gb DDR4, 1080ti (o/c 1950 core / 6000 memory) 416.94 drivers (previous driver safe mode DDU'd), game ran from dedicate 1tb game SSD and W10 booting from NVMe.

Indoors 32fps (worst case), all graphics set to ultra (blur / dof off)

Image04.jpg

Image03.jpg

So i know what some people are thinking, "wtf dude those textures are uber, of course it is slow".

So the same scene everything set to low and nudged textures down to 1/8th size (game restarted fully for new graphical options)

A whooping 50fps...

Image02.jpg

Image01.jpg

--2nd post due to image limitation restriction per post--

Go outdoors with the ultra video settings and it is either on-par or more fps than the crappy indoor low experience.

Image06.jpg

Image05.jpg

Image07.jpg

And while not directly comparable here is an old A16 screenshot, 117fps...

20170720130639-1.jpg

What happened to the performance improvements due to the latest Unity update? My rig in the context of other 4k games has no issues (King Come Deliverance +high res packs, Stranded Deep, The Forest, Mist Survival, Long Dark, GTA V, Dark and Light, Ark, Witcher 3 etc.)

Constructive input welcome :)

Well, about the only thing I could say is that so far the reports seem to show, from people listing nearly identical hardware configurations but with wildly different outcomes, that the issues might well be a combination of factors.

That is to say, it's not solely the games coding (or maybe not even primarily), but possibly combinations of coding, settings, hardware, drivers etc.

All I could suggest is the usual stuff, make sure drivers are up to date, play around with each individual setting etc. I've got one or two games where, for reasons whose root cause will likely remain forever a mystery to me, disabling a setting graphical setting is a magic bullet that wipes clean every last graphics issue, including settings I use by default on other games without a problem.

TFP recommended dropping resolution and reducing tree quality in the patch notes. They are working on optimizations. I dropped from 2k to 1080p and got 20-30 fps back.

And this is where is can be a bit hit and miss. I'm running at settings all maxed out, every last one of them, and getting perfect performance. In some prior Alphas I was dogged by massive issues early on.

The IT Gods have smiled on me this time round I guess.

That is to say, it's not solely the games coding (or maybe not even primarily), but possibly combinations of coding, settings, hardware, drivers etc.

All I could suggest is the usual stuff, make sure drivers are up to date, play around with each individual setting etc. I've got one or two games where, for reasons whose root cause will likely remain forever a mystery to me, disabling a setting graphical setting is a magic bullet that wipes clean every last graphics issue, including settings I use by default on other games without a problem.

All the usual suspects covered in terms of up to date drivers, firmware, patches etc.

There is certainly a bug that is impacting some players myself included. Joel extolled the virtues of moving to the newer Unity engine and the improvements and the reality is quite the opposite (for some).

Watching Games4Kicks for example and from what i can tell he plays at 1080p with a GTX 1080 and his fps tanks a lot. Similar with the other streamers i've seen the performance is all over the place.

- - - Updated - - -

TFP recommended dropping resolution and reducing tree quality in the patch notes. They are working on optimizations. I dropped from 2k to 1080p and got 20-30 fps back.

Thanks Kosmic, i've tried 2k and 1080p and max frame rates do improve. The issue is they still plummet, there is more headroom so things don't turn quite so laggy but the behaviour intrinsically the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm upset this can't run on my 8K Ultra Wide superduper screen @240 hz !!!

*sarcasm*

I feel your pain :cocksure:

Exactly.

It seems a little early to be complaining about FPS right now.

This is NOT a stable build.

It's experimental.

Do what you need to for now to get your FPS up and deal with it.

When TFP release a stable build then you can come and complain about it. =P'

Following up from the general performance thread i wanted to see if any other 4k gamers are experiencing similar awful performance in A17e? General world performance is poor compared with 16.4 but indoor performance tanks significantly.

Thank you for this post. It really highlights the fact that there is a fundamental problem with the current build.

I know many suggest dropping res down to 1080p or lower, but that doesn't help much in my case. I only gain about 10fps inside buildings.

Can you drop yours to 1080p and share the results here?

Something is weird with this a17 when I get not much better fps at 1280x720 than 2560x1440 in my GTX1080 even at lowest settings while at the same time windows task manager says my i7700k is at much 50% usage in Diersville, even spaming 25 zombies (high settings).

SurvivalUK, is this MSI afterburner or rivatuner overlay stats? I can't get to work with a17, what are your settings?

Thank you for this post. It really highlights the fact that there is a fundamental problem with the current build.

I know many suggest dropping res down to 1080p or lower, but that doesn't help much in my case. I only gain about 10fps inside buildings.

Can you drop yours to 1080p and share the results here?

No worries at all, i'll grab some numbers and share later.

Something is weird with this a17 when I get not much better fps at 1280x720 than 2560x1440 in my GTX1080 even at lowest settings while at the same time windows task manager says my i7700k is at much 50% usage in Diersville, even spaming 25 zombies (high settings).

SurvivalUK, is this MSI afterburner or rivatuner overlay stats? I can't get to work with a17, what are your settings?

Agreed, putting aside A16 microstutters which i think Gaz fixed the updated engine seems to have significant issues with how it has been implemented. It is not a good advert for 7DTD and hopefully it'll be fixed before general release.

Yeah it is MSI / Riva, default install and nothing cute done to enable it in 7 Days. Do make sure to run with UAC disable at launch on the game because it might be that preventing the overlay.

If it doesn't work let me know and i'll grab a screenshot of my MSI config.

What fps is considered "Tanking"?

I mean, are people complaining about an 80 to 40 drop or 80 to 4?

- - - Updated - - -

...cause one is acceptable.

'tanks' as in a significant drop in performance impacting playability.

Case in point from a G4K (Stream Team) video :

Watch for around 2 mins from the point the video starts to see the extremes in performances with no discernible reason why. As noted before he runs a GTX 1080 at 1080p afaik . A mainstream resolution that is hardly demanding given the reasonable potent gpu.

Sorry it'll cost you 2 minutes of your time watching the video, enjoy.

Actually it would cost me having to find a pc since my pitiful phone can't see the scrunchy numbers, and considering is drop is surely related to something on his local machine than in game anyway, it's just not that big of a deal to me. =)

Bottom line is, I'm on an inferior system, but a CLEAN one (not streaming from, no anti virus, hell I don't even install Adobe products or anything else that updates in the background) and suffer NO performance issues.

Coincidence? Nope. Just good clean pc fun.

So an 80 to 40 /could/ be the game, but an 80 to 4 is more likely an actual issue.

And since 99% of the people complaining about performance don't post their specs, or don't post their drops, I find it pretty amusing that there are so many people complaining, and not actually trying to help themselves, or others, by doing so.

...this game is NEVER GOING to see a baked game's performance. It's simply too CPU heavy... But people like to install ark (last alphas bitchfest always compared to ark) or b5 (seen a few mentions in this years bitchfest) and think it's an apples to apples comparison.

...when the truth is, the game runs fine on properly tuned systems.

(Or does it... I guess we will never really know?)

- - - Updated - - -

I have GTX 970 4g gaming, i5 6400k, 8gb ddr4 2133mhz, ssd

outdoors 60-70 fps on high

indoors 30-40 fps

unplayable right now :/

setting everything to low and playing minecraft days to die gives me outdoors 100 fps outside- 50-60 fps indoors -

Point in case. 30 fps is VERY playable, and that gpu is a few gens old, and wasn't a very good one even then.

Not picking on you hadecro, but what is unplayable about 30 fps?

Actually it would cost me having to find a pc since my pitiful phone can't see the scrunchy numbers, and considering is drop is surely related to something on his local machine than in game anyway, it's just not that big of a deal to me. =)

Bottom line is, I'm on an inferior system, but a CLEAN one (not streaming from, no anti virus, hell I don't even install Adobe products or anything else that updates in the background) and suffer NO performance issues.

Coincidence? Nope. Just good clean pc fun.

So an 80 to 40 /could/ be the game, but an 80 to 4 is more likely an actual issue.

And since 99% of the people complaining about performance don't post their specs, or don't post their drops, I find it pretty amusing that there are so many people complaining, and not actually trying to help themselves, or others, by doing so.

...this game is NEVER GOING to see a baked game's performance. It's simply too CPU heavy... But people like to install ark (last alphas bitchfest always compared to ark) or b5 (seen a few mentions in this years bitchfest) and think it's an apples to apples comparison.

...when the truth is, the game runs fine on properly tuned systems.

(Or does it... I guess we will never really know?)

- - - Updated - - -

Point in case. 30 fps is VERY playable, and that gpu is a few gens old, and wasn't a very good one even then.

Not picking on you hadecro, but what is unplayable about 30 fps?

So to sum up.

You're suggesting by-enlarge the issue is not with A17e (the only consistency) but with configuration of each person reporting problems across a multitude of hardware / software configurations with no commonality. To add to that you find 30fps is VERY playable.

I'm glad we solved that one then :).

No, I'm suggesting that people should start being part of the solution, instead of part of the problem. A large number of bugs get overlooked simply because of poor presentation... if you have 50 people reporting say, a sleeper spawner bug, and it's clear 45 of them simply don't realize that sleepers coming out of ceilings and cabinets is INTENDED, then the other 5 who are legitimately reporting seeing sleepers spawn right in front of them are going to get ignored.

...and yes, 30fps is completely playable.

Also, this happens EVERY alpha. The graphics improve, so the base line performance need increases, people whine about their FPS drop. Then, come to find out they're running 4k (see thread title), are not willing to drop their resolutions and will never, ever, admit their hardware is simply outdated. <shrug>

Also, this happens EVERY alpha. The graphics improve, so the base line performance need increases, people whine about their FPS drop. Then, come to find out they're running 4k (see thread title), are not willing to drop their resolutions and will never, ever, admit their hardware is simply outdated. <shrug>

No kidding the OP 1080ti is so outdated I am surprised he can even run a web browser on it.

Archived