Running a Server for Friends

wolffblood

Currently I run server just for friends. Basically just using the startdedicated.bat file. Runs the server on my computer, we can log on whenever, as log as the server is running. They can even log on just them if they so wished. My question is, since I like changing things up, trying different mods, etc., is there a way that I can push these changes to them instead of having to help them step by step of fixing things? I know I can't just give them the whole folder, else Steam doesn't recognize it. Or could that be a glitch? Would it be possible to say just email them the Data and Config, or whatever folders that had changes then copy and paste that? They're not best with computers, and it's tiring to have to talk them through how to make the changes.

Also, I hear about people saying making changes to the server files, however, I haven't seen a folder that would indicate that. I've just changed my files and that basically has changed the server files (basically if my friends don't have the same stuff, they get errors since the server is recognizing something else which is why I'm wondering about the best way to do the above paragraph). Is that the way to do that, or is there a better way? Any help would be appreciated. Tired of having to talk through my friends on what to do when they aren't tech savvy at all, like none, lol. I literally have to tell them folder by folder by folder on what to do, where to go, etc. Takes forever. It would be nice to have a 1 step solution if possible.

I use to use a program years ago to make an installation file for a friend of mine who had same issue. He wouldn't know how/where to add the files I sent. As long as I knew where his folders were I could tell the program to install files to certain folders. He knew enough to click on a button to overwrite if it asked him to lol.

I thought you could set up winzip files to send files to certain folders when it was unzipped. Not sure if I dreamed that but haven't time to check it out right now.

Maybe there is something out there that could do this. I am sure whatever is out there is an improvement over what I used years ago.

Hope this is what your asking

create a folder on your desktop name it what you want

then inside that folder create a bat file call it install.bat or whatever you want to call it

then make another directory call it Mods

so it looks like this

wAH7K0r.png

then copy into that Mods folder the files and folders from your 7 days mod folder that you created in the above directory, that you want your friend to have, doesnt have to be everything in your mods folder, just the files you want them to have or updated

zip/winrar both of them together and send them

then all they need to do is extract it, and double click on the Install.bat and itll copy into wherever they have installed 7 days, without the need for them to try to find or drag and drop anything

the text for the install.bat is as follows

@Echo Off

Set "SExe="

Set "SPth="

Set Var=%cd%\Mods

For /F "Tokens=1,2*" %%A In ('Reg Query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam') Do (

If "%%A" Equ "SteamExe" Set "SExe=%%C"

If "%%A" Equ "SteamPath" Set "SPth=%%C\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die")

If Not Defined SExe Exit/B

If Defined SPth move /Y "%Var%" "%SPth%"

cls

Echo All done, press any key to exit

Timeout -1 1>Nul

what this does is move the Mods folder you created into their 7 days folder, overwriting what they already have

This is what i use for when i want my server players to use my icons ive made,

as long as they already have the mods installed 1st it should work

UNLESS the changes to a mod your wishing for them to use HAS to be a FULL install of that mod

REMEMBER TO MAKE BACKUPS 1ST

What if it's just a normal copy of 7 Days to Die and I want them to get the mod files, everything. Which I know that then includes the Data folder a lot. Also, they have it set up like me, where I have multiple game folders for each mod. So in the common folder, I have "7 Days To Die", "7 Days To Die - Valmod", "7 Days To Die - Ravenhearst", etc. I download the files, copy them over to mine, make changes I need like bigger backpacks, hud changes, progression, recipe changes, or merge some mods together that work with each other, etc. I do make changes to each slightly since they have different ways they do things, so I don't just copy and paste my own files anywhere due to this. So I can easily get them to copy the normal folder to make a copy, then rename it. I'm guessing then I would do "...common\7 Days To Die - Valmod" (example if i was wanting them to have valmod files). Thing is, I want to give them everything, so I'm guessing I could just copy my Mod and Data folder, place it in there, then the install.bat would still install both folders with full mod install along with any changes I made. Would, for example,

@Echo Off

Set "SExe="

Set "SPth="

Set Var=%cd%\Mods

If "%%A" Equ "SteamPath" Set "SPth=%%C\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die - Valmod")

cls

Set "SExe="

Set "SPth="

Set Var=%cd%\Data

If "%%A" Equ "SteamPath" Set "SPth=%%C\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die - Valmod")

cls

Echo All done, press any key to exit

Timeout -1 1>Nul

work?

That way they can bypass downloading a mod, don't have to install it, don't have to do mine, nothing. I basically just give them everything and force it to replace all files cause of the "move /y".

ok let me try to work out what you need, this might take a bit of time

1st ill expand your request, as it was a bit hard to read all in 1 paragraph

What if it's just a normal copy of 7 Days to Die and I want them to get the mod files, everything. Which I know that then includes the Data folder a lot.

Also, they have it set up like me, where I have multiple game folders for each mod.

So in the common folder,

I have "7 Days To Die",

"7 Days To Die - Valmod",

"7 Days To Die - Ravenhearst", etc.

I download the files, copy them over to mine, make changes I need like bigger backpacks, hud changes, progression, recipe changes, or merge some mods together that work with each other, etc.

I do make changes to each slightly since they have different ways they do things, so I don't just copy and paste my own files anywhere due to this.

So I can easily get them to copy the normal folder to make a copy, then rename it.

I'm guessing then I would do "...common\7 Days To Die - Valmod" (example if i was wanting them to have valmod files).

Thing is, I want to give them everything, so I'm guessing I could just copy my Mod and Data folder, place it in there,

then the install.bat would still install both folders with full mod install along with any changes I made.

my install.bat checks a registry to see where 7 days is installed, and then copys a mod folder to there

what i need to know is your 7 days folder structure i.e do you have a mods folder and then in that folder you have seperate

folders with the names of each mod?

now as i dont use any actual mods i dont know how they are installed, i assumed they are all put into the singular mods folder into where the user installs the game?

show me a pic of your 7 days folder so i can try to work something out

no guarantees, as like i said i dont know how mods are installed, some i think are not just normal xml files

I will get pictures when I get home. But in my common folder for steamapps, I will literally copy the whole "7 Days to Die" folder, then paste it creating "7 Days to Die - Copy" folder. I then rename that to whatever mod I'm going to use it for (so say "7 Days to Die - Valmod" for the valmar mod).

Also, when mods are downloaded, they typically have a zip file with a "Mods" folder and "Data" folder. You then copy these folders, then paste them inside the 7DtD folder being used. So say I download the valmod files, i then copy the Mods and Data folder from the downloaded zip and paste them into "...\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die - Valmod" folder I just created, replacing all files. Typically this will just add the Mods folder, but the Data folder replaces the current Data folder.

This being said, that is why you can't just put mods into the folder for many of the downloads. Many actually rewrite some files in the vanilla Data folder, which is why I make copies. So which ever mod I want to play, I run the .exe in that folder (...\steamapps\common\<folder of mod>\7DaysToDie.exe). It will read that mod and data folder since it's all just to read the files locally and not looking any specific folder in the "common" folder of steam. So that's why there are separate folders I was meaning.

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\7 Days to Die (original file downloaded from steam)

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\7 Days to Die - Valmod (copied file with Valmar mod installed)

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\7 Days to Die - Ravenhearst (copied file with Ravenhearst mod installed)

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\7 Days to Die - War of the Walkers (copied file with War of the Walkers mod installed)

They each have their own stuff in Mods folder and own stuff in the Data folder since the recipes, loot, styles, progression, etc xmls are different because of different items that have been added or how to learn stuff is changed. And since each mod has it's own kind of items and recipes, they wouldn't be able to share a Data folder.

I know you can't just copy the whole folder and place it on another computer because it then has issues due to it not being able to then connect to steam for whatever reason.

That’s such a confusing way to run each mod

Again I don’t use mods, but isn’t there a mod launcher prog somewhere?

Wouldn’t that do what you need?

It is limited to mods people put on there, and it either overwrites everything in the 7 Days to Die folder for every time you play a different mod, or it will just do exactly what I manually do. It will just copy the 7 Days to Die folder and paste it, then rename it, then move everything into it. Thing is, it is for that mod only, they don't work together. So when I'm mixing mods together, it can't do that. So effectively, yes, I'm doing what it does, but no, it can't do what I change and will overwrite my changes if it ever updates the mod in that folder.

That would work too. Though I think I got something working last night. I was able to make all the changes, place them in files, match them with 7 Days to Die path, and all they have to do is copy, paste, replace all files once, and everything runs still. It's not the same as clicking a program, but still just takes 1 step instead of the 20+ I did. Beats having to do it on my own. Merged 4 mods together and got them working, doing that for each friend was going to suck, lol.

And thank you for the help, got me thinking on how I could do all this.

If you are making xml edits, ie new recipes, new items, etc on the server the xml will push to your friends, if you're adding new icons or sdx stuff, they would have to download those. If you folks were playing a full mod like Darkness Falls, youse would just use the 7d2d mod launcher for install and playing. Slightly diff for server setup. I think things were made over complicated in your post here.

• 4 months later...

I just send my friends a Mods.rar file on googledrive. the only tedious thing they have to do is overwrite the Localization.txt file found in 7daystodie/Data/Config/ every so often when a mod affects it.

Been working flawlessly for me. Just got Sorcery working after realizing the Dev sent it out different than everybody else here.

his after unrar from github: Sorcery-master/Sorcery(and random ♥♥♥♥ that doesn't matter)/Sorcery/Config

When it should have been just: Sorcery/Config(and everything that actually matters).

Kinda annoying and made me feel like I was doing something wrong. But honestly it should have been packed neater and without all the bs of needing to delete useless files in my way. Nonetheless IT WORKS. So I am happy.

I just send my friends a Mods.rar file on googledrive. the only tedious thing they have to do is overwrite the Localization.txt file found in 7daystodie/Data/Config/ every so often when a mod affects it.

Been working flawlessly for me. Just got Sorcery working after realizing the Dev sent it out different than everybody else here.

his after unrar from github: Sorcery-master/Sorcery(and random ♥♥♥♥ that doesn't matter/Sorcery(and /Config

When it should have been just: Sorcery/Config(and everything that actually matters.

Kinda annoying and made me feel like I was doing something wrong. But honestly it should have been packed neater and without all the bs of needing to delete useless files in my way. Nonetheless IT WORKS. So I am happy.

Hi Murray, I understand the frustration with the extra step of having to pull the Sorcery folder out of "Sorcery-master" folder... unfortunately, that's how GitHub handles the "master" Mod File when updates are pushed.

Did the support post resolve your problems earlier?

Thanks and hope you're enjoying!

Hi Murray, I understand the frustration with the extra step of having to pull the Sorcery folder out of "Sorcery-master" folder... unfortunately, that's how GitHub handles the "master" Mod File when updates are pushed.

Did the support post resolve your problems earlier?

Thanks and hope you're enjoying!

I understand that. I'm more or less thinking about my friends whom would never have figured that out. Coming from building a FiveM server basically entirely from GitHub zips, I should have known. Just thinking about the other guys ya know. maybe have it in the readme. I only figured it out by looking at everybody else's file heiarchy. I am LOVING the mod for sure! helped us out at 500 gamestage horde night! Already updated and here checking for updates right now!

Archived