Offline Lan Play

AlpakaMix

No, because a connection to the Steam Network is required for multiplayer.

Uh.... hypothetically there could be a way... but ... any HYPOTHETICAL method would likely be against forums rules to post.

[As it would require third party software that circumvents the Steam system.]

eeEycHF.gif

hmm ok, maybe a dumb question, but:

if I run a dedicated server in a LAN and there even 'is' an icon for local servers present in the game...could I then not find my dedicated server per IP or something?

You could find it sure. The problem lies in connecting. When you connect to the server, a verification is sent to Steam to ensure you are playing a legit copy with a legit player profile. If there is no internet access for this verification to occur on, then the client will not be allowed to connect to the server.

Is the question about offline steam or is the question just about a local LAN party? Because especially the latter is absolutely trivial to do and totally legit.

A local machine can host a game and other machines on the LAN can connect to that machine by simply connecting to that IP address. I've done that myself for some time before I rented a server.

Each of these machines need their own (bought) copy of the game and if that is the case it could or should be possible that one or of all them are in offline mode. Offline mode is not illegal and it should not be assumed that using it is for circumventing the licence. Offline mode does the (DRM) verification locally.

You can host a dedicated server and basically the whole game is then running in your LAN only, no further internet connection required.

BUT as mentioned above, every time a client connects to your dedicated server, it needs to authenticate it's steam key. I'm not even sure if the client sends the request or the server tries to verify it. So yes, practically you will need an internet connection for being able to connect. But a slow internet connection is enough for that as the game itself doesn't need it. Even a mobilephone hotspot would do that and it will not cause massive amounts of data transferred.

Anayway, it would be far nicer, if the steam offline-mode would do it without any internet connection at all.

Archived