I give up

Thelek

well, it has been a few months since i have posyed here. even longer since i have played the game as it is unplayable in it's current state. i went back to FO4 for a while, then SoD2 hit game pass and that was fun for a while, but i got bored and checked here despertly hoping for a playability update at the very least. sadly, was not surprised by the lack of anything new from the devs. so, i went back to FO4. then much to my delight, a game that i had been waiting for for over a year hit the XB Store. imagine my delight when i discovered that it wasn't just an open world rpg, but also a massive builder like MC & 7DTD. even better, it isn't powered by that PoS engine known known as Unity. NO MD5crashes, no lost gameplay, no destroyed builds. a truly great game with none of the headaches of 7DTD. don't get me wrong, i love 7DTD. it has/had the potential to be one of the greatest games ever created. it just had the misfortune to be powered by one of the worst engines of all time. i really miss the community here, most of you are really good people. out of respect for The Fun Pimps and the community, as well for what 7DTD could have been, i will in no way identify the game of which i spoke. maybe some day 7DTD will realize it's true potential, but that can only happen by scrapping the current engine, and i don't see that ever happening. maybe if there is ever a 7DTD2.

I normally would ignore posts like these but I agree. I understand the whole destructible-world and consoles lacking this and that, but to release a game (with no indications it's a raw port of an early-mid Alpha game) and have it so broken is just blah. I can handle bugs, but the game is a grind and takes a LONG time to do something -- constant crashes / MD5 / etc has gone beyond the "oh a bug damn I lost 3 mins let me reload the save"to "♥♥♥♥ that was 3 / 4 days/weeks worth of work all gone to nothing" (If you're lucky to get that far). I mean, I bought both console versions with a friend to play but neither of us has played in... god like over a year now. Pick up the PC version, you'll love it better. Zero MD5 runs waaay better. Only crashes I've come across in A16 stable were due to my editing the XMLs and breaking stuff.

Minibike vanishing is annoying in online, but usually, it'll pull itself out the earth on a reload by the host.

Well I'm pretty sure this will be closed. Forum rule no good bye post. But hey maybe they will leave it open.

Just a reminder not everyone gets MD5 so it isn't unplayable for everyone. I understand it is for lots but not everyone.

Unity is a good engine and you comparing games that isn't 100% voxel doesn't say much. I feel some don't see or care to see why games are this way or that way. For the way 7dtd is Unity is probably one of the better engines to build this game on.

I completely agree with lack of communication and such but really it is what it is I do not see that changing it just isn't IG or TT type of thing nor is it a bunch of console companies thing to do either.

I feel sorry for TFP they get blamed for a bunch if things especially on console. They are making a great game on PC and things are starting to come together and looks like it isn't going to be to much longer before it goes Gold. I doubt console will get to much more but one can hope I guess. Just console version is just that console version not PC. Just a way to look at it even if everything comes from PC to console and not actually being designed on console.

Ok well I hope you hang in and try again at another time and the game gets better and more playable for you and others that have the type of issues you have. Nothing wrong with taking a break and play other things and come back at a later time. Try that at least till January and come back and see what this next update has done if it does anything to help with the crashes for you.

To be fair, Unity is the only game engine capable of doing what this game requires. Optimization was horribad though for sure, and the upcoming update will rectify that.

As for the MD5 issue, that's largely thanks to Microsoft and they crappy file system they use on the console. You can only do so much with the game engine to work around it. I'm hoping that the added optimization in the next update will reduce it greatly, but until Microshaft gets their act together, it's still a possibility. Notice how the PS4 version of the game does not have this issue. That isn't a coincidence.

I'd urge you to hang out a bit longer and see what comes in the next update. You might also read up on some of the many tips for avoiding the MD5 issue, and several of them are very helpful.

sadly, due to my limited vision (about 20/70 with correction), i am unable to play games on my pc and even if i could, i wouldn't spend more money on a game i already own own on one platform. besides, i have the new game to keep me busy for a long while. i am not necessarily meaning for this to be a good bye post, but more of a until next time post. i probably check in again in a few months. but between my new addiction and the impending release of FO76, i am pretty sure i will be kept busy well into 2019 and beyond.

i do not blame the fun pimps for the issues with the console version, that rests firmly on the shoulders of iron galaxy, and i doubt that Microsoft is to blame either, or there would be more issues with the pc version since both are windows 10 platforms.

as for unity,i believe it really is one of the worst engines out there. every game i have played that used unity has been plagued with problems. im mean, it can't even handle a simple gem matching game let alone a voxel block building game. nope, unity was a terrible choice.

and if you look, you will find that i wrote a couple of those work arounds. problem is that the more that you build, the less effective the work arounds get until you get to the point that they stop working altogether. for me that happened at day 154.

...and i doubt that Microsoft is to blame either, or there would be more issues with the pc version since both are windows 10 platforms....

Just want to clarify this a little more. Windows 10 uses NTFS, which has been the standard since Windows XP.

The file system on the Xbox is a custom file system called FATX. This is basically a bastardized version of FAT32, which is why there is an issue with the large map files. If it were regular FAT32 it would probably be ok, or easy to work around. It's not though.

I think we all just need some MD5 counselling. Not to be confused with a complaining session but more of a, hi my name is blah and i sunk X hours into this build. Like for instance I terraformed over 40,000 blocks of ground without an augur and lost most of it. That's being said I'm recently back in a new world trying to stay positive.

Just want to clarify this a little more. Windows 10 uses NTFS, which has been the standard since Windows XP.

The file system on the Xbox is a custom file system called FATX. This is basically a bastardized version of FAT32, which is why there is an issue with the large map files. If it were regular FAT32 it would probably be ok, or easy to work around. It's not though.

not sure what you consider a large map, but i have played several games that use map areas several times larger than the ones on 7DTD. hell, even the smallest Minecraft map is 3 times the size. but then, NONE of these games are powered by the Unity engine, either.

You've done the right thing so far, pay something else for a little while and check back in to see what's going on. If you don't like it get back to what you were doing. I LOVE 7DTD but after a little while of dumping hundreds, maybe thousands of hours into it i needed a break and needed something fresh. So picked up another survival game on console. That's completely normal. The bugs can be very condemning for this game but it's best to keep a positive attitude and trust that before long there will be another update and some things will get fixed. It would be unrealistic to think that every little bug will get patched but if they can flesh out the MD5's (even though i've never experienced it, mostly a PS gamer) for Xbox i would be very happy for Xbox players. Maybe a new zombie or two from one of PC's updates, painting or electricity would be cool but that's all up to them and what they decide to port .Just keep coming back, stay patient, remain humble like you are now and remember , the only thing we are actually owed as customers is a functioning game. everything else is subjective .

not sure what you consider a large map, but i have played several games that use map areas several times larger than the ones on 7DTD. hell, even the smallest Minecraft map is 3 times the size. but then, NONE of these games are powered by the Unity engine, either.

And besides minecraft what games are you talking about that is 100% voxel? I believe you are over looking that fact. But even minecraft look at it. Textures, no calculation on gravity on blocks, no calculation on block them selves when destroyed as in when you are hitting a block and stop it goes right back to 100%. Should I keep going? So all you are comparing are like comparing apples and oranges. I get it I do but I feel some just don't see that bigger picture and unity regardless of ones thoughts is one of the better engines for this type of game. If it was the game engine then why does ps4 not have the same issues? I mean if that is what it is then it wouldn't matter what it plays on right?

Hello.

Please wait for the update.

Having bugs is not a good way for a software company to release games and earn happy customers/players, I fully agree.

But you (and me) have already bought the game, it doesn’t hurt to wait a few months more for the upcoming update.

As for the map size, you reminded me my Minecraft days (PC/PS3/PS4, I got the MC platinum trophies on PS3/PS4), I never achieved 100% map exploration on PS4 max size map, it was too large (my inventory got full long before I reached map borders).

So a *not-so-big* map size can be annoying, but it depends also about your play style.

Also please don't be upset about voxel-type maps. Sure they are small, sure Voxel seems to be *really not* optimized for consoles.

But please take a look at non-voxel large-map games like The Witcher, Ark Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles to name a few.

You cannot dig your underground base as you see fit on those games, that's the price to pay for "large" maps with current development kits.

So choose your style of play : large maps with limited/restricted building/digging capacities or small to medium maps with "all features".

Large maps for minecraft is good to a point. This guy that well I'm not getting into it here but that used to stream he had the largest map you could get and needed every inch of it. We did massive builds actually did voxel builds and more. But that worked for minecraft because for us it really isn't much of a survival game it is more of a builder game. Yeah the first time playing isn't perfect but once you get used to it then it is really easy to survive in minecraft. Another guy I used to play with we did massive builds on his map also. But anyway large maps really do work on that game.

On this game it just isn't that great. I think the size of the map it is now works great. It is still big and still plenty of space. I can destroy 2 maybe 3 large maps maybe even 4 in minecraft vs how long it take me to destroy a map in 7dtd. That says a lot since technically I could go under ground and make the world fall in on 7dtd and on minecraft I literally have to destroy all blocks because they float.

Yeah, map files are about 3-6x larger in 7DTD than they were in MineCraft because of all the extra data. Plus Minecraft truncated the chunks and didn't save air space at all. Then the files were compressed even further.

Which is another reason that the console has much smaller maps than the PC version of 7DTD. You guys wouldn't like just your saved map taking up 12-30GB of space on your console. I think a large Minecraft map is typically about 500MB.

>snip< You guys wouldn't like just your saved map taking up 12-30GB of space on your console. I think a large Minecraft map is typically about 500MB.

I would love to have that option. Even if the map is still limited to console format: In summer the console is gasping for cool air, while constantly de-/compressing the savefile (i know, it's not only because of the compressed save).

But, afaik, the console manufactorers have rules about the volume of the savefiles...

Been close to a years since I played, the New mining killed it for me, Dynamic Hoards was a flop but playable, went on to COD WW2 and Farcry 5, when Red Dead 2 comes out 7D2D will be deleted to make room. Good luck everyone.

But yet you still come by the forums every so often repeating yourself about how mining ruined the game and repeating how you play COD and such. Oh and how many post about deleting the game to make room for this or that. Actually to think about it I'm shocked you didn't say no fun pimps. Anyway see ya next month.

fallout 4 is a bug filled mess whose settlement building picked the worst locations. i prefer NOT being told where i can build. pluss you can't remove lots of annoying things like corpses. you can use mods but if you have to use mods for simple things the game is bad. not to mention the horrable glitches,freezes and endless loading screens

But yet you still come by the forums every so often repeating yourself about how mining ruined the game and repeating how you play COD and such. Oh and how many post about deleting the game to make room for this or that. Actually to think about it I'm shocked you didn't say no fun pimps. Anyway see ya next month.

Well said! It’s sad people have to inform everyone that they’re moving on... I get it, people are bored. Okay, why tell everyone on the forums?

We know something is in the works, hell... the wife and I still play every weekend!

Unplayable? Are you joking... hyperbole much? If that’s your excuse for giving up then So be it.... thanks for letting us know your feelings.......

yes, unplayable. we start playing, 20 minutes later the game crashes.we reload and resync the game and find we only have made maybe 5 munites of progress. which means that 15 minutes of building was all for nothing.

as for FO4, i have been playing it since the day it was released. i have encountered very few bugs and certainly none that rendered the game unplayable. and yes, SOME of the settlement really suck. but most can be home to some great builds. as for corpses laving around your settlements, don't you bother to clean up after yourself? most corpses are easily picked up and moved and even if you don't clean up your mess, just go exploring for a couple of game days and when you return, all the corpses should be gone. the debris does get a little annoying, but it's nothing game breaking. as for settlement location restrictions, that can be annoying, too. but there is a reason for that. most settlement locations have quests associated with them and they probably didn't think it would be a good idea to let players build in places like Diamond City.

in the end, every game has it's pros and cons. but i have never experienced a game that was out right broken out of the box like 7DTD is.

Archived