But why?

Youguyssuck

Well, TFP work on the PC Alpha client. Consideration is not given for the console when they develop the game. The game is also still being developed. In Early Alpha development. It's not even in Beta yet.

IG develops the game for the console. It is sold as a finished version of the Alpha 14.7 version of the PC game. You guys have been lucky to get content that was added to the PC so far. The intent is to get as much content from the PC ported to the console as possible, but due to the severe hardware limitations on the console, it has not been very feasible.

Well, TFP work on the PC Alpha client. Consideration is not given for the console when they develop the game. The game is also still being developed. In Early Alpha development. It's not even in Beta yet.

IG develops the game for the console. It is sold as a finished version of the Alpha 14.7 version of the PC game. You guys have been lucky to get content that was added to the PC so far. The intent is to get as much content from the PC ported to the console as possible, but due to the severe hardware limitations on the console, it has not been very feasible.

I'll be curious to see how long it takes Console to get a version of A17.

~Lucky

Working-Castle-Tribute-to-A16-Plus-bonus-tips-video

I'll be curious to see how long it takes Console to get a version of A17.

~Lucky

That would be saying that console will get anything from A17. I would be curious to see if console is able to get anything from A17. Not sure how much more can be added to console after they add things in from A16 who knows.

That would be saying that console will get anything from A17. I would be curious to see if console is able to get anything from A17. Not sure how much more can be added to console after they add things in from A16 who knows.

Yeah that's probably a lingering question huh?

"How long is the console version going to be supported?"

You know ... because one day 7DTD will officially be done and released and... that could be awkward. :distrust:

~Lucky

PC release is taking a long time due to updating to Unity 2018 engine, and at the same time the console version is being updated to Unity 2017. If all goes right, that should allow for optimizations that let IG update to console version closer to Alpha16. But since Clare and the team aren't saying much about it there is no way to know how soon or what content is being added.

No.

There are no "console limitations" that would stop us from getting content. I totally agree console can't handle high end graphics and such like pc but in no way can we not get everything block wise (I mean blocks, traps, cars, zombies and all the stuff when I say blocks) look at minecraft, ark and everything else that has better ai and way better mechanics and way more stuff and then tell me that 7dtd running 4 people and a bunch of the same blocks reskinned is just too much for my little ps4 to handle lol. That's bs and anyone who believes that a ps4 and xbox can't handle the same amount of content as a pc is just lying to themselves to feel superior about having a pc. If fallout 76 is going to run on my ps4 than I doubt 7dtd can do more to it than that.

There are a number of differences between other games like Ark etc, including the fact that 7DTD is a voxel game. But even in comparison to Minecraft, 7DTD is more demanding on systems.

TTG are the Publisher of the Console Version, IGS work on porting it. When code is passed for porting there is still a lot of work to be done, it is much more than just polishing. The console version also has things like Splitscreen which the PC version does not have. IGS are working to bring as much as possible beyond Alpha 14.7 (Of which the console version was released as a complete stable version of), however that does not mean everything will be able to be ported across.

Slyenthunder wrote a great post that helps explain a lot of this - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?62391-When-Will-the-Console-Version-Have-_______

There are a number of differences between other games like Ark etc, including the fact that 7DTD is a voxel game. But even in comparison to Minecraft, 7DTD is more demanding on systems.

TTG are the Publisher of the Console Version, IGS work on porting it. When code is passed for porting there is still a lot of work to be done, it is much more than just polishing. The console version also has things like Splitscreen which the PC version does not have. IGS are working to bring as much as possible beyond Alpha 14.7 (Of which the console version was released as a complete stable version of), however that does not mean everything will be able to be ported across.

Slyenthunder wrote a great post that helps explain a lot of this - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?62391-When-Will-the-Console-Version-Have-_______

Thanks for sharing my post wouldn't of been ugly but not as nice as the way you said it lol. Some people just don't get it about console and PC. Some really think consoles are really powerful machines. I love my console but I have a PC as well and I can say my PC is 5X better then console an di have ps4 pro and xbox one s.

Not many games right now on console that is 100% voxel and some don't understand how much more performance a voxel game has over games like Ark and such.

Not many games right now on console that is 100% voxel and some don't understand how much more performance a voxel game has over games like Ark and such.

As far as I am aware there is no other game either on PC or Console that is 100% voxel with the SI calculations that 7 Days has. Even other PC Voxel games like Empyrion do not have the full voxel terrain.

you can't dig in ark or conan so those don't count. pluss both games tell you where you can build.

Then you can even compare the split screen function between ark & 7dtd. In my opinion, 7dtd blows ark out of the water in this regard. Ark's stupid rubber banding system is stupid. Both players can hardly get far away enough from each other.

I was pretty dissapointed with ark & got bored with it fast. It had so much potential but just doesnt have "it".

I dont know about conan exiles, havent played it or watched much video on it.

Im purely console player too. Dont do much pc gaming outside of sims 2, stronghold, & duke nukem 3d, lol.

Then you can even compare the split screen function between ark & 7dtd. In my opinion, 7dtd blows ark out of the water in this regard. Ark's stupid rubber banding system is stupid. Both players can hardly get far away enough from each other.

I was pretty dissapointed with ark & got bored with it fast. It had so much potential but just doesnt have "it".

I dont know about conan exiles, havent played it or watched much video on it.

Im purely console player too. Dont do much pc gaming outside of sims 2, stronghold, & duke nukem 3d, lol.

Conan is the same way you can't get far from one another. Both Ark and Conan are better playing on the servers. The problem last I checked with conan at least for ps4 they only offered one server provider and reviews wasn't that great. I really hate to say it but just like 7dtd both Ark and Conan are best played on PC. But like I said both of those are playable with others pretty good on servers.

Eh

I looked up the minimum gpu and ram needed for both minecraft and 7dtd and minecraft recommends 2.6 ghz and 7 days only recommends 2.4 ghz and it's 1 gb of ram to 2 for minecraft. So I don't see how 7dtd needs more power when the recommended specs is lower but even if what you say is true, you could take out a ton of stuff that no one uses. Peach adobe blocks would be a good one to remove and the normal bed. Who actually makes that bed when there's the king bed? I just feel like this game isn't taken very serious by the people making it and it sucks because it's a good game with lots of potential. Also on the point of it not being just polished by IG...I mean you named 1 thing that has been added that's not a port and it's split screen lol. Come on, 007 on the n64 had 4 person split screen so I don't see that as being a huge challenge for 2 split screen in 2016 or whenever it was put in. I get that they are putting in work but I don't see porting taking longer than actually making the stuff. We still don't have all of a15 which is ridiculous. We probably won't even get much of a16 and you can use the excuse of "it was sold as a finished game" but I bought it on release and it was not worth 40 dollars for the content in it. I'd say a good 15-20, so the way I see it I paid the extra 20-25 in good faith for the continued dlc and I feel most people feel the same way and I can tell you I feel let down.

Minecraft isn't doing Structural Integrity (SI) calculations on every block, and the texture resolution is quite a bit lower than 7 Days. It should also be noted that it runs on a different/simpler engine (Java), and that even with all that the height map had to be reduced to get it to function like they wanted for the consoles. Even on the PC, they had to keep the RAM usage down in the engine because of that. Sure, you can run modded, add HD textures, and set it to allow more RAM usage with 64-bit Java forced. But by that point, you aren't playing the original game anymore. (Oh wait. You can't do that on the console with Minecraft.)

Additionally consider that the average map data size for Minecraft is only about 1GB, where a map for 7DTD can be closer to 30GB. Given that the Minecraft map is capable of a 50k diameter, and 7DTD only has a 10k diameter on PC, you can see where there is a huge difference is the amount of data being stored. (I forget what the console RWG map size is, but I think it's about 2.5k.)

The largest things that cause 7DTD to use so much more RAM and CPU threads is the SI calculation and loading of textures. I covered this with some detail when discussing the reasons for such limitations on split screen MP...

That's just it though. The game world is exactly what is eating up all the resources. Again, you guys are not understanding why a true 3D voxel game is SO much more demanding.

For the active region chunk that each player is in, the following things are being calculated through the CPU and RAM.

• Every single 1m block from bedrock to the sky limit.
  • The individual material properties of each of these blocks.
  • The Structural Integrity of each block, plus adjacent attachments on all 6 sides.
  • The texture being applied to each block, and sending visible block data to the GPU.
  • Inventory data on each container block.
  • Growth timers for plants.
  • Additional timers for forges, workbenches, and other workstations.
  • Electricity and minibike information if it exists.

I think that covers everything.

Now, if you figure that the active chunk area is a 100m radius, and the height map is 256m.

Figuring the volume of the cylinder will roughly tell you how many total blocks are in focus.

V=πr2h=π·1002·256≈8.04248×106

So basically for every player the client is performing calculations on 8,042,478 blocks initially when the player logs in.

As you move, it's removing the blocks that fall out of range, and adding the blocks that fall into range in segments.

If we calculate a segment as 3 blocks in depth, using the circumference of 628, we get one face of the cylinder as follows.

Face = (Circumference·3·h)\2 = (628·3·256)\2 ≈ 241,152

So now, as you move, you are removing 241,152 from RAM, and performing calculations on the 241,152 that are being loaded.

Now this is optimized somewhat in the code, but you should be starting to see some of the issues.

Games like Ark are only loading flat textures, a bump map, and the data for objects and entities in visible range. They aren't loading 8 million one meter blocks. Which is why you absolutely cannot compare 7Days with other game titles. They are so completely different it is not even funny.

This is covered to some extent here, and it seems to be the one thing almost no one realizes, or wants to acknowledge.

................We still don't have all of a15 which is ridiculous. We probably won't even get much of a16 and you can use the excuse of "it was sold as a finished game" but I bought it on release and it was not worth 40 dollars for the content in it. I'd say a good 15-20, so the way I see it I paid the extra 20-25 in good faith for the continued dlc and I feel most people feel the same way and I can tell you I feel let down.

Thats sucks you have this feeling about the game but to each his own right? I totally understand peoples frustrations, esepecially poor xbox users.

I paid $26 for the game on amazon prime when the game released in 2016. Ive loved every minute of the game and i feel like ive more than got my moneys worth.

Hopefully once this update hits it will be more to your satisfaction. Different experiences for different users.

im a builder my best friend is a hunter he can be 3k from me i love that. ark you cant do that. pluss you can't dig a hole. constantly worrying about structural integration. i love it. makes more sence then building a railway 3thousand blocks long 30 blocks in the air with 0 support structure

Let's test it.

So you're saying that more gpu is used for the voxel box calculations than in minecraft. OK but let's do some comparing. Let's say we take the same amount of stuff from minecraft and 7dtd and say they use 40 percent gpu is used. Now let's high ball the calculations for that system in 7 days and say it uses an extra 15 gpu, now it's using 55 percent of the gpu. There's also better textures and everything for 7 days so let's add another say 8 percent. Now we have 63 percent being used. So 63 percent is used for 7dtd, now let's look at minecraft. Remember were starting with the same amount of stuff from 7 days. So it's 40 gpu, we'll it has way better ai so that's let's say 5 gpu. It has bigger world's that's another 5. It has way more blocks and crafting so we will low ball this and say 10. Then we have more than 4 players on a server that's another 5. Then you have all the stuff 7 days doesn't have, such as boat and fishing mechanics that's another 5. Just right there is 70 and that's low balling all the minecraft stuff and high balling the 7 days. If you add up all the small things in minecraft they add up to needing more gpu. That's why it has a higher minimum spec rating and like I said there's a lot of blocks that could be replaced in 7 days to make room.

I don't know the difference between GPU and CPU.

I'm paraphrasing, of course. Comparing 7 Days to Die to Minecraft is like comparing a Super Nintendo game to an Atari 2600 game. Vanilla Minecraft is made for very low poly count, and it will run on toasters as well as potatoes.

Aside from the extreme difference in poly count, you also have a system in 7 Days that morphs blocks as they are damaged. So each Construction type block gets a mask of cracks that progresses toward breaking, and the ground slopes and empties until it is gone, which leaves potentially 26 adjacent blocks morphed and blended together. This is in addition to the number of entities moving around in the world with much better textures, higher poly count, and pathing calculations, in addition to the structural integrity, etc.

Archived