More imersive weapons

GGPL

"Guns in games" are a huge can of worms.

Just look at all the shooters out there. Almost all of them have completely ridiculous and often arbitrary stats on their guns that have nothing at all in common with their RL counterparts.

You get fantastic spreads, ridiculous accuracy or inaccuracy, ranges and ballistics all over the place. It's total madness.

We are trying hard to translate the weapons' "real" performance into our game world but that is not the same thing as modeling their RL stats of range or v0. That's not how this works. Even a pistol would have "infinite range" in a game like this...

Yeah, it's not an easy thing to do. For realism's sake, Squad did an absolutely superb job at getting their weaponry right and making each model distinct from the other to a satisfying degree. I hope you don't mistake my comments in this thread (or elsewhere for that matter, as being critical of the work you and the others put into the game. It's definitely not. :)

Not at all. I know exactly where the 7DTD weapons are "unrealistic". ;)

Some gun nuts may obsess over incorrect physical stats while our job here is to make the game play well. Radically different objective.

Just as an example, melee weapons / skills / perks have to be way OP to make them pull their weight. Being the Bruce Lee Super Ninja needs to be workable.

Realistically a single 9mm bullet turns you into a Bruce Lee Super Ninja corpse.

People play games to have fun and accept all sorts of crazyness... like zombies. Hehe

I like the new direction that they have taken with the guns in a17. I was hoping that gun parts were going to be part of a full customization mechanic: that we could find parts and stocks there were not just different quality, but also added other mechanics. This did not work out. Instead we found safes without guns, but with parts. Who locks parts up in safes?

It appears that a17 fixes a lot of the gun problems in the game. Now all we need are more gun types and calibers.

Archived