Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

6 hours ago, KaiserAvatar said:

It's kind of hard to read the actual error text, but it looks like it's having trouble loading a prefab of some sort.  I'd recommend deleting the mod folder; verifying the integrity of your base client and then getting a fresh download of whichever Dev Build you've been playing of Darkness Falls.

Also, DF so far only works with Alpha 21.1 (b16), i.e. the 'Stable' version.

6 hours ago, KaiserAvatar said:

If I meant that build I would have indicated client build; I'm referencing that we're currently working with Dev build 28 of Darkness falls.

The screenshot in the post you replied to shows they're using A21 (b324), which can likely cause issues. That's why I mentioned client build.

10 minutes ago, ResolutionX said:

been a minute since i played but has anything changed with the forge? on the ver 28 &  i have no input slots in my forge not sure if its just bugged for me or if something changed with base forge

The forge works differently in DF, there is no input slot. You don't have to fill a forge with material, you just craft stuff. Sometimes you do need other items to unlock recipes.

Kind of like the Campfire.

14 minutes ago, Spoot said:

The forge works differently in DF, there is no input slot. You don't have to fill a forge with material, you just craft stuff. Sometimes you do need other items to unlock recipes.

Kind of like the Campfire.

ok ty i thought i might have been that , been a long time since i last played DF

Is there a way to make darkness falls not have demons and laser weapons. :) (Edit) or maybe the settings can be set up in different configurations. Idk w like what I see, but the end game stuff isn’t my cup of tea. I like killing zombies with a pistol I guess haha. Idk Thanks 

Edited by lordneg (see edit history)

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: No but you can sorta duplicate it with Khaine's Mods. This way you can have the DF feel without the Demons. I believe there's also Khaine's Romero mod out there, but I don't know I've never used that one. Frankly, I can't do vanilla without some of his modlets like flower picking and bigger backpacks.

Edited by wanderinpaladin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, wanderinpaladin said:

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: No but you can sorta duplicate it with Khaine's Mods. This way you can have the DF feel without the Demons. I believe there's also Khaine's Romero mod out there, but I don't know I've never used that one. Frankly, I can't do vanilla without some of his modlets like flower picking and bigger backpacks.

Thank you. I will look at the modlets. Very helpful 

@KhaineGB Thank you for making Darkness Falls. I have thousands of hours into 7D2D and many hundreds of those were in DF. The recent chicken coop, animal snare, and bee hive changes are fantastic and make them less OP - thank you for that! I do have a few suggestions, not that you asked :) But I do believe in offering suggested fixes instead of whiny b!tching, so there's that:

Difficulty - DF is a difficult overhaul mod, that's part of its DNA. But the mid and late game truly needs rebalancing. The recent change to the way enemies spawn in the well/underground lab (not the final mission - the well, not the one with the portal) needs an easy change, imo. When playing multiplayer, the zombie 'group' spawns based on the quest-owner's location (spawn 5-7 mobs in a group on any empty block X blocks from the quest player when quest player reaches body bag), which means there are times when that group spawns surrounding other players. All the AI gets turned on at the same time, and unless you have parkour 3 or higher and can jump out, you get deleted. If the mob group can simply spawn on the body bag when the quest-owning player gets within X blocks, that would fix the problem because the other players can avoid the bag and won't get eliminated through no fault of their own.  On another note, late game, I think demons have too much health. The overcharged energy cell mod/ammo addition helped, but it wasn't enough. There are times when you have a fully decked out lv80 laser carbine/shotgun/M60 and lay it down on demons, reload, empty the clip, reload, and eventually it dies. But that's one demon. Taking multiple clips to kill one enemy isn't great gameplay. Maybe there's another way to make them difficult without just throwing ludicrous amounts of health and armor at them. Make them sprint for short periods or teleport or something. Make their fireballs slow the player or make top tier demons stun the player on hit temporarily regardless of stun resistance, armor, perks, etc. It just seems like a top-tier, fully modded legendary weapon should stand up to a top-tier demon better than it currently does. (I think you're already aware that laser weapons still don't seem to calculate their damage correctly, but just adding that here too) Speaking of laser tech and late game, once you have a laser workbench, the game is essentially over. You have access to lv80 everything at that point. I know the mod is unfinished, but can a patch be placed in to extend the late game after laser benches have been achieved until we're closer to a finished DF main story? Maybe make laser weapons much more expensive to build than they are correctly so rushing lv80 gear isn't so easy? Side note, the laser m60 currently seems to be loot only. I assume that's intentional but seems...random? Anyway, late game is my least favorite part of DF. Everything leading up to it is balanced well (difficult, but fair) and is an absolute joy to play. Late game just seems less polished and thought-out. Again, I know it's unfinished, so please don't take this as criticism!

Farming - I can SEE more than one blueberry but can only pick 1 from a bush, which deletes the bush. This is a dumb gripe, but the realism of farming without the Farmer class perks is difficult to digest. (Insert joke about realism in a demon/zombie video game, blah blah). Even as a person who's never farmed in his life, I could pick more than one berry from a bush or pick more than four or five apples from a tree, and do so without knocking the entire tree down. (I get the OP nature of having wild trees regrow constantly, so make them take 5-7 days to regrow, but don't delete on harvest). To rebalance farmed crops though, could it be possible to have the game track the Farmer class/perks status of the player who planted the crop, instead of the player who harvests it? The realism shift here is based on player skill of planting/maintaining instead of harvesting. I think I could harvest a similar number of potatoes from a grown, mature potato plant as a skilled farmer IRL, but if you gave myself and a farmer one potato seed, we'd end up with very different end results after planting and growing that seed. So, have the plant 'remember' the Farmer perks of the player who planted it at the time of planting and yield an appropriate number of crops when it's harvested. For example:

• A player with zero Farmer class perks plants a corn seed. That seed takes 5 days to mature and yields 1 crop by hand, regardless of perks of the player who harvests it.
  • A player with zero Farmer class perks plants a corn seed. That seed takes 5 days to mature and yields 2-3 crops when a scrap hoe is used (if the player has X Living Off The Land perks.
  • A player with some Farmer class perks plants a corn seed. That seed takes 3 days to mature and yields 3-4 crops when a scrap hoe is used and 5-7 crops if an iron hoe is used.
  • This scales farming with Farmer class perks, but provides some options for early farming without being the Farmer class.

Crafting Speed (Bug)? - I'm going to get some flack from other folks if this is indeed a bug, but sue me. When you've maxed out crafting speed with Science Crafting, Nerdy Glasses, Quicker Crafting, etc. the game seems to think you can craft many important items almost instantly. Namely, forged iron/steel/titanium and ammo ingredients. But not other items like doors, furniture, workstations, etc. Since this affects some items but not others, I wonder if it's intentional. It doesn't follow the math of the perks and Nerdy Glasses though because suddenly you go from taking several minutes to craft to taking less than a minute, with the addition of one last perk or the glasses. It's a bit jarring to go from 500 iron ingots taking 8 minutes to instead taking 1 minute 30 seconds since I put on my Nerdy Glasses. Are the glasses accidentally 5x crafting speed boost instead of a 5% boost? Idk. Can provide a video of this if it'd help. If this is intentional, can it be extended to electrical parts and scrap polymer for coil ammo? Every other ammo crafts almost instantly besides those two ingredients.

Misc:

• Zombie Steve seems to be able to hit the player without an animation if he's staggered/stunned or getting up. (Might be a FP thing, not a Khaine thing) Will record the next few hours of gameplay and try to capture this.
  • For the love of the Gods can you please change the bee hive sound effect to anything else, or at least quiet it down a bit? Jesus that's frightening and I never get used to it lol
  • Suggestion to swap the unlock order of the M60 and the M4A1 in Automatic Gun Crafting. The M60 with its mag size seems way stronger than the M4. Because of this, I never use the M4 even if it's more dmg/round than the M60. The M4 is a great addition, but belongs before the M60 in the unlock order. Just my experience.
  • Double barrel shotgun always seems to fire both barrels at once in DF on one trigger pull. I don't notice this in vanilla.
  • Coconut trees seem to be a bit buggy now. They don't seem to regrow as fast as the other tree types after harvest. (B27)
  • Removing the morning and night chimes unless you have a watch mod equipped? You sadistic b@astard :) I love it.
  • Should raincatchers be rethought due to the water changes in A21? Is this even possible with the new water physics?
  • Speaking of water, I will never, ever use dew collectors in DF. Take 125 empty glass jars to a working player sink and you instantly have 125 clean water. This mechanic makes dew collectors completely redundant, imo.

You've made one hell of an overhaul mod and I hope the Gods bless you for it. Genuinely, thank you for volunteering so much time to provide us such a cool gaming experience. I hope both sides of your pillow are cool every night and you make all the green lights when driving.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:42 PM, lordneg said:

Is there a way to make darkness falls not have demons and laser weapons. :) (Edit) or maybe the settings can be set up in different configurations. Idk w like what I see, but the end game stuff isn’t my cup of tea. I like killing zombies with a pistol I guess haha. Idk Thanks 

It isn't really that hard, just go through the xml and remove the demons from the spawners and the laser weapons from the loot table. There will be bugs, but you can work through them if you put the time in. The xml files are long and can take a while to get through, search for keywords and use VSCode, if you can.

I took the Demons out of Alpha 20 Darkness Falls (my friends wanted more hordes with no demons).

On 10/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, CrocoKyle said:

@KhaineGB Thank you for making Darkness Falls. I have thousands of hours into 7D2D and many hundreds of those were in DF. The recent chicken coop, animal snare, and bee hive changes are fantastic and make them less OP - thank you for that! I do have a few suggestions, not that you asked :) But I do believe in offering suggested fixes instead of whiny b!tching, so there's that:

Difficulty - DF is a difficult overhaul mod, that's part of its DNA. But the mid and late game truly needs rebalancing. The recent change to the way enemies spawn in the well/underground lab (not the final mission - the well, not the one with the portal) needs an easy change, imo. When playing multiplayer, the zombie 'group' spawns based on the quest-owner's location (spawn 5-7 mobs in a group on any empty block X blocks from the quest player when quest player reaches body bag), which means there are times when that group spawns surrounding other players. All the AI gets turned on at the same time, and unless you have parkour 3 or higher and can jump out, you get deleted. If the mob group can simply spawn on the body bag when the quest-owning player gets within X blocks, that would fix the problem because the other players can avoid the bag and won't get eliminated through no fault of their own.  On another note, late game, I think demons have too much health. The overcharged energy cell mod/ammo addition helped, but it wasn't enough. There are times when you have a fully decked out lv80 laser carbine/shotgun/M60 and lay it down on demons, reload, empty the clip, reload, and eventually it dies. But that's one demon. Taking multiple clips to kill one enemy isn't great gameplay. Maybe there's another way to make them difficult without just throwing ludicrous amounts of health and armor at them. Make them sprint for short periods or teleport or something. Make their fireballs slow the player or make top tier demons stun the player on hit temporarily regardless of stun resistance, armor, perks, etc. It just seems like a top-tier, fully modded legendary weapon should stand up to a top-tier demon better than it currently does. (I think you're already aware that laser weapons still don't seem to calculate their damage correctly, but just adding that here too) Speaking of laser tech and late game, once you have a laser workbench, the game is essentially over. You have access to lv80 everything at that point. I know the mod is unfinished, but can a patch be placed in to extend the late game after laser benches have been achieved until we're closer to a finished DF main story? Maybe make laser weapons much more expensive to build than they are correctly so rushing lv80 gear isn't so easy? Side note, the laser m60 currently seems to be loot only. I assume that's intentional but seems...random? Anyway, late game is my least favorite part of DF. Everything leading up to it is balanced well (difficult, but fair) and is an absolute joy to play. Late game just seems less polished and thought-out. Again, I know it's unfinished, so please don't take this as criticism!

Farming - I can SEE more than one blueberry but can only pick 1 from a bush, which deletes the bush. This is a dumb gripe, but the realism of farming without the Farmer class perks is difficult to digest. (Insert joke about realism in a demon/zombie video game, blah blah). Even as a person who's never farmed in his life, I could pick more than one berry from a bush or pick more than four or five apples from a tree, and do so without knocking the entire tree down. (I get the OP nature of having wild trees regrow constantly, so make them take 5-7 days to regrow, but don't delete on harvest). To rebalance farmed crops though, could it be possible to have the game track the Farmer class/perks status of the player who planted the crop, instead of the player who harvests it? The realism shift here is based on player skill of planting/maintaining instead of harvesting. I think I could harvest a similar number of potatoes from a grown, mature potato plant as a skilled farmer IRL, but if you gave myself and a farmer one potato seed, we'd end up with very different end results after planting and growing that seed. So, have the plant 'remember' the Farmer perks of the player who planted it at the time of planting and yield an appropriate number of crops when it's harvested. For example:

• A player with zero Farmer class perks plants a corn seed. That seed takes 5 days to mature and yields 1 crop by hand, regardless of perks of the player who harvests it.
  • A player with zero Farmer class perks plants a corn seed. That seed takes 5 days to mature and yields 2-3 crops when a scrap hoe is used (if the player has X Living Off The Land perks.
  • A player with some Farmer class perks plants a corn seed. That seed takes 3 days to mature and yields 3-4 crops when a scrap hoe is used and 5-7 crops if an iron hoe is used.
  • This scales farming with Farmer class perks, but provides some options for early farming without being the Farmer class.

Crafting Speed (Bug)? - I'm going to get some flack from other folks if this is indeed a bug, but sue me. When you've maxed out crafting speed with Science Crafting, Nerdy Glasses, Quicker Crafting, etc. the game seems to think you can craft many important items almost instantly. Namely, forged iron/steel/titanium and ammo ingredients. But not other items like doors, furniture, workstations, etc. Since this affects some items but not others, I wonder if it's intentional. It doesn't follow the math of the perks and Nerdy Glasses though because suddenly you go from taking several minutes to craft to taking less than a minute, with the addition of one last perk or the glasses. It's a bit jarring to go from 500 iron ingots taking 8 minutes to instead taking 1 minute 30 seconds since I put on my Nerdy Glasses. Are the glasses accidentally 5x crafting speed boost instead of a 5% boost? Idk. Can provide a video of this if it'd help. If this is intentional, can it be extended to electrical parts and scrap polymer for coil ammo? Every other ammo crafts almost instantly besides those two ingredients.

Misc:

• Zombie Steve seems to be able to hit the player without an animation if he's staggered/stunned or getting up. (Might be a FP thing, not a Khaine thing) Will record the next few hours of gameplay and try to capture this.
  • For the love of the Gods can you please change the bee hive sound effect to anything else, or at least quiet it down a bit? Jesus that's frightening and I never get used to it lol
  • Suggestion to swap the unlock order of the M60 and the M4A1 in Automatic Gun Crafting. The M60 with its mag size seems way stronger than the M4. Because of this, I never use the M4 even if it's more dmg/round than the M60. The M4 is a great addition, but belongs before the M60 in the unlock order. Just my experience.
  • Double barrel shotgun always seems to fire both barrels at once in DF on one trigger pull. I don't notice this in vanilla.
  • Coconut trees seem to be a bit buggy now. They don't seem to regrow as fast as the other tree types after harvest. (B27)
  • Removing the morning and night chimes unless you have a watch mod equipped? You sadistic b@astard :) I love it.
  • Should raincatchers be rethought due to the water changes in A21? Is this even possible with the new water physics?
  • Speaking of water, I will never, ever use dew collectors in DF. Take 125 empty glass jars to a working player sink and you instantly have 125 clean water. This mechanic makes dew collectors completely redundant, imo.

You've made one hell of an overhaul mod and I hope the Gods bless you for it. Genuinely, thank you for volunteering so much time to provide us such a cool gaming experience. I hope both sides of your pillow are cool every night and you make all the green lights when driving.

I want to preface this with answers may seem like I'm coming across as annoyed. That's not the intent, I'm just very blunt because I've found communicating in that way basically stops any "wriggle room" nonsense.

Difficulty - DF was NEVER INTENDED to be a difficult overhaul mod. At all. You lot just apparently wanted it, which is why I've started tying stuff to the difficulty selection instead. The lab/bunker ARE NOT getting further tweaks for the following reasons.

1: One of the things you mentioned is MP related. I'm not doing further MP fixes/tweaks/other nonses because I'm tired of working around TFP bugs. I spend more time on MP stuff than I do on actual mod content. I'm not doing it anymore.

2: End game demons. I am assuming you're talking about the Empowered ones. Those were in A20 and the A21 versions have LESS health than those. I'm not nerfing them. You said in this message that it's supposed to be hard, then complain it's hard? You do realise you won't see empowered demons unless you're playing on a huge server in a huge party (if that's the case, see above about not rebalancing crap based on MP), or on a high difficulty, right? So far, the general reception in the discord is that most people are enjoying that extra challenge.

And no, Legendary weapons are SUPPOSED to fall off after demons. They are NOT supposed to be good against empowered demons. You need full tier laser with overcharged cells, blessed metal and armor shredder mods to figh them properly. As for taking multiple clips to kill enemies, works fine for L4D with the Witch and Tank, which are your "boss" enemies. I'm killing normal empowered demons just find with 1 clip. The bosses? Less so. Mod your weapons appropriately.

3: Yes, there's probably going to be more after the laser workbench. If you look in the code, there's a commented out perk that's not done yet so you can get a feel of the intent.

Farming - Your suggestion is not possible. You cannot affect plant grow times via perk. I already looked into it, because I think that would be an AMAZING idea.

Crafting Speed - Did you update? There's a bug in the base game where craft speed can go to -1 second and complete instantly. We fixed that so it caps out at 1 second instead. I know that's near instant, but that's actually intended if you have enough perks and items. The game also can't math properly so I'm not planning to spend more time on it.

Misc stuff.

Steve is an issue, yes. Other zombies also have it. I'd have to remake the animation controller for ALL zombies to fix it, which I'm not doing.
Bee hive sound effect is definitely just a temporary one for now and will be changed later.
I disagree on the M4. The M60 has a mobility penalty while using it. I use the M60 for horde nights and the M4 for POI clearance.
Shotgun I have experienced. It's the same code as vanilla. I checked. I can get it to fire one barrel and then the other, but it's SUPER sensitive and no idea.
Haven't had that issue with coconut trees (however the "harvested" block needs to be changed"
Morning/Night noises is a TFP thing. Actually had nothing to do with me, but I like it.
Rain catchers have a tweak in B29 (currently in testing) so they spawn water less often.
You're missing out on the dew collectors. They can make Pure Mineral Water instead of water.

I decided to try out the Super City map. Jen sent me to trader Rekt and his entire compound is overrun with sleeper zombies. I cleared them all out, but the Trader Quest still thinks Rekt is in here some where. Was this an intended thing for his compound to "gid rid" of him? Should i just abandon the quest?

Edit: Less then a block away from Rekt. I found a Trader Bob compound full of sleepers too.

Edited by RorschachBC007
another trader compound full of zombies (see edit history)

Thanks for making DF, just wrapped up day 56 using b27, now on to a new map using b28.

Regarding the double barrel:

-I've had this problem too, sometimes I can make a single shot, 95%+ of the time its both at once

-is there a cooldown setting between shots or a mouse press time counter? if so, maybe that could be adjusted to force a longer delay (like under 0.5 seconds, is a single shot, over 0.5 seconds is a double). No issue with the pumpy.

Farming:

-I've decided to think of food ingredients as 'quantities', thus, 1 blueberry is 1 handful of blueberries (otherwise putting a single berry in a loot drop would be objectively mean, though I personnally think it should be 5 minimum). This translates as you get better at harvesting to there being less waste, thus, you get 2 or 3 handfuls off a single plant instead of 1 handful.

-For sake of discussion I'd say 1 quantity would be about 100 grams. Thus why it takes 5 meat to make one grilled meat (as in 500 grams of raw meat), which makes some sense. A chicken yields about 10 meat, which would be about 1kg and that seems okay to me.

Trees:

-(b27) I think when fruit trees get damaged they just stop producing. I thought I saw mention of this being addressed in the patch notes, but maybe I misread it.

-I've started to place them on my roof in dirt blocks to keep them safe from random zeds hitting them.

Other: (not a bug, just something interesting to me)

-I was playing on a custom map and I noticed something 'weird', the bottoms of POI's appearing in the sky, likely an engine issue

-I think this was due to the land elevation being less than the POI's foundation layer (I think most of the map was like 30 instead of the 'normal' of 35)

-best was when I activated the DF Bunker and it started raining thousands of blocks from above. When I got to the red zone the floor was essentially gone (looked like topsoil) and I either fell from the sky or got teleported to the ground. Exciting both times, especially once the screamers showed up.

8 minutes ago, RorschachBC007 said:

I decided to try out the Super City map. Jen sent me to trader Rekt and his entire compound is overrun with sleeper zombies. I cleared them all out, but the Trader Quest still thinks Rekt is in here some where. Was this an intended thing for his compound to "gid rid" of him? Should i just abandon the quest?

The Rekt I was sent to was there and didn't have sleepers. Maybe the quest got confused with one of the old "destroyed" traders.

5 hours ago, walkingwounded said:

Regarding the double barrel:

-I've had this problem too, sometimes I can make a single shot, 95%+ of the time its both at once

-is there a cooldown setting between shots or a mouse press time counter? if so, maybe that could be adjusted to force a longer delay (like under 0.5 seconds, is a single shot, over 0.5 seconds is a double). No issue with the pumpy.

This was an issue with Alpha 21.0.  TFP changed the rounds per minute from 1000 to 1 and added a new property RapidTrigger to the double barrel so you can rapidly click twice to get it to unload both barrels.  This change was made for Alpha 21.1.  Now when you hold down the trigger in A21, it doesn't fire both shots rapidly and requires another quick trigger action.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, RorschachBC007 said:

Edit: Less then a block away from Rekt. I found a Trader Bob compound full of sleepers too.

I had this happen on a RWG map. Trader Jen's had 8-10 dogs and some sleepers. I didn't survive to see if Jen or the Scout were there.

On a different note, I'm hoping a kind soul would be willing to explain how to revert the changes to Big Mama and the Hazmat zombie. I like the challenge of more ranged zeds, but for me, that many spitters is just annoying, especially early game or when they blow up the loot. I've checked out the entityclasses.xml and tried a couple of things, but I'm out of my depth. I appreciate anyone taking the time to help.

And of course, huge thanks to Khaine for putting this whole mod together. The classes/skill tree alone make DF better than vanilla, not to mention all the crafting/cooking/weapon changes.

8 hours ago, temisian said:

I had this happen on a RWG map. Trader Jen's had 8-10 dogs and some sleepers. I didn't survive to see if Jen or the Scout were there.

On a different note, I'm hoping a kind soul would be willing to explain how to revert the changes to Big Mama and the Hazmat zombie. I like the challenge of more ranged zeds, but for me, that many spitters is just annoying, especially early game or when they blow up the loot. I've checked out the entityclasses.xml and tried a couple of things, but I'm out of my depth. I appreciate anyone taking the time to help.

And of course, huge thanks to Khaine for putting this whole mod together. The classes/skill tree alone make DF better than vanilla, not to mention all the crafting/cooking/weapon changes.

Pretty sure he has it setup so you can't change any of the stuff in the xml files.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:48 PM, Spoot said:

It isn't really that hard, just go through the xml and remove the demons from the spawners and the laser weapons from the loot table. There will be bugs, but you can work through them if you put the time in. The xml files are long and can take a while to get through, search for keywords and use VSCode, if you can.

I took the Demons out of Alpha 20 Darkness Falls (my friends wanted more hordes with no demons).

Well that’s easy for some folks. But not this guy 😕. It’s ok I will figure out something. Thanks 😊 

Suggestion: Ink Recipes

I noticed the ink recipes seem a bit 'odd'.  Some require 2 ingredients and others 3 ingredients, even the same ingredients plus another to make one unit of ink, but the quantities vary. I would propose to normalize the recipes such that they all require 36 total ingredients to make (half with a chem station).

Example:

-Blueberries+tomato+grass (12/6 each)

-tomato+grass (18/9 each)

Possible recipe to consider:

-goldenrod+chrysanthemum+grass (18/9 each)

-I acknowledge this may make ink too easy to obtain early game due to the abundance of each ingredient...so increased cost

I feel like I'm being a complete dingus, but where are the Scouts?  I've checked 4 different Trader compounds and can't find them anywhere.  Do I need to trigger them somehow?  I'm on Day 26 now and I thought maybe after doing a few Open Trade Routes they might show up, but nope.  Any help appreciated.