Zombie attack range?

Jackelmyer

Is it just me or so zombies now have like a 1.1 block attack range or something?

* Frequently now when stepping back after swinging my club at a zombie to avoid being hit, I seem to get hit at a much further distance when they attack.

* When zombies are swinging at my walls and traps around my base, items past the 1 block thick wall are being hit and destroyed.

I don't remember A15 being like this. Is it just me or anyone else noticing this?

The default attack range for zombies is 1.65 meters, which is actually pretty fair. Attack range for player fists is 2.5 meters.

The bigger problem for me is that zombies seem to be hitting you from 20 feet away again, I was pretty sure that was fixed in A15. It seems to not matter anymore if you dodge them or move away, if you were close when they decided to take a swipe at you, you will take the damage no matter what.

I noticed that in 16.3 but not in 16.2 and 16.1. I didn't test explicitely for that, but with 16.3 i've been hit far further from zombies away (like 2-3 blocks). I'm not even sure if this is a matter of attack range, i guess that could also be a lag issue, because the "you are hit screen" always comes noticable up to half a second after the attack animation of the zombie.

But i can't tell for sure, because we are using the War of the Walker mod, and in the beginning i thought that might be a change of the mod.

I play pure vanilla. Starting to look at adding some mods but been a vanilla player for around a year. I don't recall seeing either of these issues in since A14. Though I didn't get on A15 right away.

Yeah... All weird. Dunno what that issue is. Guess I should try to record it. Hrm.

Is it just me or so zombies now have like a 1.1 block attack range or something?

* Frequently now when stepping back after swinging my club at a zombie to avoid being hit, I seem to get hit at a much further distance when they attack.

* When zombies are swinging at my walls and traps around my base, items past the 1 block thick wall are being hit and destroyed.

I don't remember A15 being like this. Is it just me or anyone else noticing this?

1st: YES Definitely!

2nd: Never noticed.

I've had this happen more in A16 than previously for sure. Sometimes it's difficult to tell why or how, especially when attack animations don't synch up with the actual hit registration. Ie, they'll swing and miss, and then suddenly you have been hit. Or hit first, then they swing and miss as being too far off.

As for the second, that seems to be what people have highlighted with items (workbenches, chests etc) behind walls being broken before even the walls being. But I notice this while mining frequently too, I'll aim at a stone wall, and I'll end up breaking the stone BEHIND instead. Which of course should be impossible. Maybe this is the same thing happening with zombies, they're attacking but it's not registering as connecting to the block in front, but rather whatever is behind.

/V - Clip: A16 Advanced Cop Trapping

Was watching a video of GameEdged and he hit at a zombie and missed, it swung at him and he stepped back. It was obvious he was out of reach but he was still hit. That has happened in several videos I have watched of players. They hit a zombie, it swings at them and then step back out of reach but still get hit.

I think it is like someone stated, if the player didn't step back they would have been hit, but they stepped back and the game for some reason doesn't recognize that they stepped out of the way and so it gets counted as a hit. It is random when it happens; I have seen GameEdged, Kage and others step back and yet be hit one time and in another time step back and not be hit when the zombies swings at them.

Something we all have to live with as we play the game.

• 11 months later...

It's a problem. Its like the way the zombies clip through doors etc and you can kill them even though they're on the other side or the constantly stuck screamer driving you insane while you find out which wall/floor its hiding in.

Favourite has to be the bear posse that spawned on my head, hard to look unfazed when you scream like a girl at 3am!

If you try to melee a zombie in multiplayer and then walk backwards in A16.4, you will probably get hit. This doesn't seem to happen in single player games. Ever since this started happening, I've found that the best way to melee and not get hit is to time your attacks right, and sprint at the zombie while attacking, so that you connect with the zombie when you get close enough, and keep running past him after you hit them. So running, if only for a short bit, past the zombie as you hit them going by seems to be the safest way to hit them without getting hit back.

Archived