Minibike controls

MJS101104

I've looked on the forums for this in the console section and couldn't find it, this would only apply to console games really since they require a traditional controller. But I was curious if anyone could tell me why the minibike acceleration control is pushing up on the left analog stick? To bring the minibike to a complete stop(a brake function) you can press the X button(I play PS4, no clue what to press on Xbox).

Wouldn't it make more sense, and be a better control option, if the acceleration for the minibike were the R2 trigger? It'd make the minibike easier to control for one thing. They could also make the L2 trigger be the reverse button. Neither button has a use on the minibike as far as I can tell, so it's not like they would interfere with any other current minibike functionality.

What do you other console players think about this possibly being a change to the controller layout to make the minibike easier to use on the controller for the consoles?

I agree the throttle ought to be on the right side of the controller, but you should have to pull the right stick back to open it, but I'm pretty used to the way they are and never gave it a second thought beyond wanting the bike to be able to lean into turns or slide out from under you if turning too sharply on sand or gravel.

And now that I really think about it, the mini bike shouldn't be a mini bike at all. It should be a dune buggy mad max kinda thing. I mean, why does the engine from a 96 taurus magically turn into a two stroke lawn mower engine when placed in a bike chassis?

Because it was torn out from a scrap car, with a wrench found in a kitchencloset, by a starving person who's mechanical knowlegde came from 1 page spreadsheet and is dragged away in a backpack?

A car engine weights more than 100kg and you only take what you need to build this lawmower engine form the car engine...

Since I started this thread, I figured I'd give some idea of what I think would be good controls for minibike(or other vehicles that might get added later on).

Acceleration = R2

Emergency/Brake = X

Brake/Reverse = L2

Square = Map(Which you can't do now either)

I think this control scheme would actually make the minibike(or other vehicles) easier to control, and make it more console controller compatible.

Have to disagree with you all. The controls are intuitive enough for the effect, forwards, backwards, left and right which can all be done very easily with a thumb stick. I definitely do not want 3 digit controls replacing what I can so easily control with 1 thumb. Never had an issue so don't fix what isn't broken.

An option to change control schemes would be fine, accommodate left-handed players or those like you who want something more complicated but don't simply change out what we have. Ark did that and it sucks, especially when it is not intuitive in the slightest, a positive step backwards that I can only assume was done to make it artificially and idiotically harder to play.

it took me all of about 2 seconds to master the controls of the mini bike. i think changing the controls only complicates things. that being said, i see no issue with being allowed to customize your own controls. as for the minibike itself, id think a dirt bike would make a little more sense & instead of building it from scratch, you'd just repair a bike you found. surely out of all the vehicles in the games world theres got to be a few that are in running condition. my guess is that if this was a real life scenario most people would put finding motorized transportation near the top of the to do list. add a handful of dirt bikes to the game & eliminate all the crap involved in making a minibike. maybe 2 or 3 dirt bikes per map that are in running condition but damage acquired is not repairable & building a new one from scratch can't be done either till you find the book.

The reason why the controls are like this is for controller PC compatibility. It's more along the lines of if it's broke don't fix it because they have enough to fix as it is, lol. But yeah it is clunky until you get used to it, then you don't even notice anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, don't be too anxious for A16 after the next update... PC has lost the ability to kill things by running them over with the bike. On purpose. That's a change we don't want for consoles anytime soon.

The reason why the controls are like this is for controller PC compatibility. It's more along the lines of if it's broke don't fix it because they have enough to fix as it is, lol. But yeah it is clunky until you get used to it, then you don't even notice anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, don't be too anxious for A16 after the next update... PC has lost the ability to kill things by running them over with the bike. On purpose. That's a change we don't want for consoles anytime soon.

Oh no no no we definitely don't want that. I can't believe they took tgat ability out of the PC version that's so booty. I can see not being able to kill the bears and dire wolves but chickens, rabbits, snakes and pigs should be game. Oh well they just want to take away the cheesy kills, I can understand it.

Have to disagree with you all. The controls are intuitive enough for the effect, forwards, backwards, left and right which can all be done very easily with a thumb stick. I definitely do not want 3 digit controls replacing what I can so easily control with 1 thumb. Never had an issue so don't fix what isn't broken.

An option to change control schemes would be fine, accommodate left-handed players or those like you who want something more complicated but don't simply change out what we have. Ark did that and it sucks, especially when it is not intuitive in the slightest, a positive step backwards that I can only assume was done to make it artificially and idiotically harder to play.

You must have some amazingly accurate analog control skills, becase the current control scheme seems anything but intuitive to me. At present, anytime I try using the control scheme I find myself making turns I don't intend to because even the smallest accidental shift to the left or right causes me to veer off course. Which has led to me accidentally driving through fire or into bodies of water. It also sounds like you guys think i'm proposing that you need to use all three at one time, which isn't the case. The proposed control changes wouldn't be anymore cumbersome or complicated than firing a bow, which I assume you can do with relative ease. You just press a button to go forward, or one to go backwards, not sure how that's more complicated than pushing forward or backwards. In fact, the control scheme I mentioned is pretty standard for most games with vehicles in them.

All that being said however, I would actually support the idea of cusomizable or optional alternative controls. Adding the option to customize the contols or to simply offer the option to change between the two control styles would be a far better option. It would give players more choices, which is always a good thing.

Dear Iron Galaxy,

PLEASE make the map accessible while riding the bike.

I know, right. So tired of having to get off the bike just to check the map to insure I didn't veer too far off course after trying to rundown a deer or pig.

Dear Iron Galaxy,

PLEASE make the map accessible while riding the bike.

YES!! Very much agree with this. Pain in the arse getting off just bike just to check map.

I think the controls for the mini bike are fine. Was awkward at 1st but I quicky got used to it. Now I would like an option to swing your melee weapon while driving mini bike. This would be bad*as!!

How come there's no horses in the game?

I've found it to be very easy to maneuver and I've never thought about it needing to be changed. However, I think if you desire customization of the controls I'm always on board with that approach.

You must have some amazingly accurate analog control skills, becase the current control scheme seems anything but intuitive to me. At present, anytime I try using the control scheme I find myself making turns I don't intend to because even the smallest accidental shift to the left or right causes me to veer off course. Which has led to me accidentally driving through fire or into bodies of water. It also sounds like you guys think i'm proposing that you need to use all three at one time, which isn't the case. The proposed control changes wouldn't be anymore cumbersome or complicated than firing a bow, which I assume you can do with relative ease. You just press a button to go forward, or one to go backwards, not sure how that's more complicated than pushing forward or backwards. In fact, the control scheme I mentioned is pretty standard for most games with vehicles in them.

All that being said however, I would actually support the idea of cusomizable or optional alternative controls. Adding the option to customize the contols or to simply offer the option to change between the two control styles would be a far better option. It would give players more choices, which is always a good thing.

My controller is whatever the latest ps4 pro model is. It's no more precise than my standard ps4 controller. No, I don't have any issues at all.

That proposal would also require use of the thumb stick to steer, I assume, because you aren't going to want to only go forward or back. I never assumed you would want to use L2 and R2 at the same time but you still need to cover both buttons, don't you, i.e. use three of your digits when right now you use just one, your left thumb. I honestly cannot see why you have a problem going left and right while also going forward or backward on the thumb stick because it is simplicity itself, for example, while pressing forward also move your thumb left or right to go that way.

Obviously I have no issues controlling a bow or gun because aside from shooting it or zooming it in, two entirely seperate control inputs that absolutely require seperate buttons, it is exactly the same thing. I will therefore ask you, do you have problems aiming a bow or gun because honestly it sounds like you do if your thumb stick is so imprecise. It's the very thing you use to aim with. Or maybe your right thumb stick is more precise than your left one? If so you may need a new controller. How do you move at all when clearly you do not ask for R2 and L2 to be adjusted to make you move forward or backwards? Moving the minibike, while a tad more difficult (learning curve of approx 10 seconds or less) is exactly the same control scheme for moving on foot, minus look direction because otherwise you would be unable to strafe.

Just some clarifications and explanations

Before I start I want to clear something up. When I mentioned your ability to stay on course while using the minibike, I was complimenting you on your skills at steering the minibike with such apparent ease. Skills I apparently lack. The contextual tone of your post(such as the learning curve remark) give me the impression you might have thought otherwise. As for the post itself...

My controller is whatever the latest ps4 pro model is. It's no more precise than my standard ps4 controller. No, I don't have any issues at all.

My controller is less than 6 months old, so I don't think that the controller is the problem.

That proposal would also require use of the thumb stick to steer, I assume, because you aren't going to want to only go forward or back. I never assumed you would want to use L2 and R2 at the same time but you still need to cover both buttons, don't you, i.e. use three of your digits when right now you use just one, your left thumb.

I'm not sure how you hold your controller when you play, but from my experiences in general over the years(which is all I can go on really), it seemed to me that the fingers stay pretty near the L2 and R2 triggers anyway, so it wasn't as though they'd have to reposition their fingers or anything. Especially considering the other mechanics with how you control the character on foot.

That's what I was referring to when I said I didn't see how it was more complicated. However, judging from your post you seem to think otherwise, and you might have a point about it being more complicated for some. Which is also why I said I would support a change like the one you suggested over my original post. An optional control mechanics change, either by allowing for custom button configurations or by being able to choose between various control layouts, would be a better option.

I honestly cannot see why you have a problem going left and right while also going forward or backward on the thumb stick because it is simplicity itself, for example, while pressing forward also move your thumb left or right to go that way.

What I have a problem with is accidental shifts to the left or right while pushing upwards, not just turning left and right as a matter of course. Which is not a statement I even made. Given that the analog sticks have a smooth circular movement, it is quite easy to accidentally shift to the left or right and accidentally turn the minibike. Which gets even more complicated when you consider that using the right analog to look around for various loot sources can cause you to accidentally shift left or right as well. Thus the remark I made in my original post about you having some amazing skills with controlling the minibike, because it is(as I stated above)a skill I apparently lack.

Obviously I have no issues controlling a bow or gun because aside from shooting it or zooming it in, two entirely seperate control inputs that absolutely require seperate buttons, it is exactly the same thing. I will therefore ask you, do you have problems aiming a bow or gun because honestly it sounds like you do if your thumb stick is so imprecise. I will therefore ask you, do you have problems aiming a bow or gun because honestly it sounds like you do if your thumb stick is so imprecise.

The control mechanics for being on foot or using the bows or guns are not exactly the same, they are different. The difference is that the control scheme on foot(including using the bow or guns) is different than the minibike because you use the right analog stick to move as well. If I veer off course while on foot(or while using the bow or gun) it's easy to correct my course.

When walking or running, you turn directions by using the right analog stick and not the left analog. Unlike with walking or running, the minibike doesn't change direction if you look around by using the right analog stick. The Minibike turns with the left analog stick, which is a different control dynamic than the way the controls work for controlling the character on foot. So if there is an accidental shift to the left or right with the left analog stick while walking or running you don't turn to face a completely new direction, you just strife slightly to the left or right a bit.

As I stated in my last post, I think the ability to change the control mechanics through either button customization or through preset control schemes would be a better option for everyone. That way people like me, who lack the precise control abilities due to whatever reason(such as the nerve damage in my right hand for instance), can make the controls more functional for themselves.

I've found it to be very easy to maneuver and I've never thought about it needing to be changed. However, I think if you desire customization of the controls I'm always on board with that approach.

Yes...the more customization the better in my opinion.

Archived