Block Smoothing?

Laz Man

Has anyone figured out how to make organic blocks (i.e. dirt/sand/etc) sit flush when placed against flat blocks (i.e. concrete, wood, etc.)?

I was flying around a city today and noticed some prefabs (i.e. small bookstore) had asphalt blocks (organic version) sitting flush against SidewalkFull blocks (flat block). Looking at the small bookstore prefab and its corresponding xml file, I didn't see any specific setting that would allow this to happen. See visual aid below.

M56c23u.jpg

I have this on my to-do-list for Pack9

I've tried a little bit around with half-blocks, curbs

Still have to test 60-tips-and-end-blocks !!! (corious y i dont did that long before?!)

But found no Solution yet.

Its the conflict between "earthes" (diamantshaped blocks) and normal squared and edged Blocks.

Perhaps TFP delivers a hardcoded solution for that Problem

(to smoothn every earth-block that sits directly to an edged block to the level of the squared One !!!)

Mag

There has to be a way to do it now. There is no difference in a player made prefab and a vanilla prefab that I can tell yet somehow the vanilla prefab has a smooth transition from diamond-shaped blocks to square blocks. The question is where is this setting defined. I was almost certain it would be in the prefabs xml file but alas I didn't see anything difference.....yet. :)

In which Vanilla-Prefab or situation this block-smoothning happens ???

I never saw that before (Or just dont saw it yet) !!!

I have made some little blocktests yet.

I found no solution to:

Fill the room between diamontshaped and squared blocks AND keep the same groundlevel at a time !!!

All that works is to use curbs on the boarder (but these generate a little edge on the other side)

Or use 60-wedge-blocks to slowly go that halfblock size up or down to the next squareblockedge.

However:

In the corners the filler-problem appears with all the methods I discribed here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10851[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]10852[/ATTACH]

I always heard about a smoother terrain. Never heard about a terrain-smoothner-function the last time!!

Mag

edit:

just remembered yet:

The editor has such a function. Totally forgotten this - sry

But i dont know if this function works

In which Vanilla-Prefab or situation this block-smoothning happens ???

I never saw that before (Or just dont saw it yet) !!!

I have made some little blocktests yet.

I found no solution to:

Fill the room between diamontshaped and squared blocks AND keep the same groundlevel at a time !!!

All that works is to use curbs on the boarder (but these generate a little edge on the other side)

Or use 60-wedge-blocks to slowly go that halfblock size up or down to the next squareblockedge.

However:

In the corners the filler-problem appears with all the methods I discribed here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10851[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]10852[/ATTACH]

I always heard about a smoother terrain. Never heard about a terrain-smoothner-function the last time!!

Mag

edit:

just remembered yet:

The editor has such a function. Totally forgotten this - sry

But i dont know if this function works

The vanilla small book store is a good example of diamond shaped blocks sitting flush against square blocks. Reference the image in my OP.

LAz MAn:

"The vanilla small book store is a good example of diamond shaped blocks sitting flush against square blocks. Reference the image in my OP."

yes - I see it with my own eyes - but y is this so ?????????????

Perhaps the destroyed stone line in the lower area is such a invisible street, which often appears in random hubs.

Then we got here a BOARDER-Situation !!!

Perhaps the Smoothner-engine only works for city-hubs-boarders ???

(Because there is eventually no earth-block support on the very boardersite - so all blocks handled as they where sqared ones !!!)

Mag

If the world generates it in the rwgmixer file...then it should be smooth provided your Y offset and pertinents are accurate.

If you try and insert it in manually there is a gap between blocks and terrain.

Terrain always has an odd overlap blending sort of thing. I have had one snow block in a 10x10 area and an entire row of asphalt next to grass had a small white strip between them.

You make them flush by having the mixer generate them correctly. It's much the same as the sloping hills/elevation changes with random gen 3.0. If you let the world generate you get smooth slopes, they transition smoothly. If you try and place blocks to make a hill you get the steps like we had in early Alpha games.

Same thing.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- now you can ignore it and then come up with this idea as an original one. Bwahaha

If the world generates it in the rwgmixer file...then it should be smooth provided your Y offset and pertinents are accurate.

If you try and insert it in manually there is a gap between blocks and terrain.

Terrain always has an odd overlap blending sort of thing. I have had one snow block in a 10x10 area and an entire row of asphalt next to grass had a small white strip between them.

You make them flush by having the mixer generate them correctly. It's much the same as the sloping hills/elevation changes with random gen 3.0. If you let the world generate you get smooth slopes, they transition smoothly. If you try and place blocks to make a hill you get the steps like we had in early Alpha games.

Same thing.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- now you can ignore it and then come up with this idea as an original one. Bwahaha

Yes, I am aware of this. Now the million dollar question from my original post...How do you invoke the smooth transition within prefabs? :).

The small bookstore has the smooth terrain between diamond and square blocks. Perhaps the pimps prefab editor has this feature while Hal's editor does not?

Ah ha!?! I will inquire in Hals thread! :)

My hunch is there is some type of meta tag for blocks that tell them to smooth/flatten out when placed next to cubed blocks. If the smoothing/flattening out only occurred during world generation, then our own custom prefabs would be affected as well but I have confirmed that they are not.

So I dug deeper...

I went back to the small book store and destroyed the asphalt blocks that were sitting next to the sidewalkfull blocks. Then I manually back filled the holes with several different types of diamond shaped blocks and all of them smoothed/flattened out against the sidewalkfull blocks seemlessly. This suggests that the feature is not tied to initial world generation but to the blocks themselves.

I am hoping Hal's editor has this feature and we just never understood how to use it or its something Hal just missed and maybe just maybe he can add it in the future :). I posted in his thread inquiring about this issue....

Yes, I am aware of this. Now the million dollar question from my original post...How do you invoke the smooth transition within prefabs? :).

this?

Also something else I noticed. When replacing terrain with blocks it causes a weird terrain mesh surface error, I did a video of my looking at it

Ah yes, the weird texture merging. That started a couple of alphas ago. You can try using the reset parameter in the InsertPrefab command to get rid of it. Resetting just fills the area with air first and then does the insert. The only donwside at the moment is this can't be used when having the CopyAir box unticked as it wipes the area clean before inserting.

You set the reset parameter like this:

bbb ip <PrefabName> <x> <y> <z> true

Also, just as an after-thought. Now the editor is in lock-down with new features for a while it's a good time for me to make a video going through the editor from downloading for the first time, installation and usage. I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days.

Hal

It's too bad there isn't an easier way to do this. I was substituting carpet for grass in the prefab I'm making, but then discovered I cannot put flowers on it. >.<

I need to be able to make runs of grass in between blocks and have it smooth.

yes true !!!

Only aloeplant, yuccaplant and plant01 can be placed on non-earth blocks !

Every other plants need to be on earth !!! Some plants also requires a special kind of earth!! It must be a dirtlike-earthblock !!!

• 3 years later...

Archived