A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Hey Val, suppose this shoulda been in a PM but - whatever - anyhow:

Firstly, I will be generating a blogspot/forum for my webpage. As I constantly rely on the brilliance of your mods to enthuse both my players and I it's only natural that I host a link to your mod right on my page.

If you allow; which link should I use, and may I use your banners as the link item?

Second, I've noticed I'm having issues creating the various fences, is there something I am missing on how to make 'em in the workbench or what? I have the handsaw and bought the skill.

Thanks again man

You're welcome to share the mod and any included images wherever you so desire. What link you use is up to you. Though if they're viewing it on a blogspot anyway it would probably be more convenient to the users if the link you share is the direct download link. That way when they click the link they're not brought to another page and have to find another download link for the specific version your server is using. Direct links work best. Though of course its up to you on how to go about doing it, I have no issue one way or another.

Some of the fences may be inside the Artisan Decor Station, as they are a cosmetic block.

________

Mod Plans:

So guys I wanted to share some of my future plans with the mod and see what your input would be. I'm thinking of rewriting the perk system so that perks can be bought into without actually "finishing". Let me explain.

Currently the Gun perk costs 10 skill points. So you spend 10 skill points all at once and get the Gun. However I was thinking of giving the perk 10 levels. You need all 10 levels to unlock the recipe. What does this change? Well, on the surface, not a lot. You still will need 10 skill points to unlock it (as you will have to max it out) but doing it this way opens up some opportunity with books.

A big reason I removed so many schematic books is because I didn't like that if the player happened to get lucky they could get a free perk that would otherwise cost them 30 skill points or something. However if I gave the perks levels I could bring back some of the schematics. For example now finding a pistol book would not have to instantly unlock the pistol - but it could give you two or three points into the pistol perk to make it cheaper to buy.

This could also impact the classes a little. I could make perks "cheaper" for certain classes without actually unlocking them outright. Just for example the medic could start with 5 points in Pistol perk, meaning he'd only need to spend 5 more points to unlock the Pistol recipe as opposed to the full ten.

I think this system would add a lot of extra control and ultimately be better than the current system. The only "problem" I have is that I feel it might be too confusing for players. Many players are used to buying a perk once and instantly getting rewarded for it. There are already some who have difficulty grasping the multi-level perks like Metal Smithing (I bought the perk but still can't make X! Oh I need level 3 in it?). That is the only downside I can see to this approach.

What is everyones thoughts on the above proposal?

Just read your proposal and I think it would be ok.

Here is what I'm thinking and I hope I'm on the same wavelength as you. As you say the medic has 5 points in pistol - not enough to get the perk. But whilst raiding a book store finds two pistol books which provide the medic with 6 points taking them over 10 points needed for the perk plus 1 more - so now they would be able to assemble and re-assemble a pistol?

Perhaps I'm just an idiot....

I've a question for people here: I own a dedicated Linux server and, after 3 hours of searching, I FOR THE LIFE OF ME, am unable to find where I am supposed to install server-side mods. Anyone have insight?

In example: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?31730-Valmod-Pack - This has an A15 build.

It runs fine on Single Player, but when I drop all files into my 7D2D server, it only half-works. The new recipies for Classes don't show up etc, and I am unsure if I have the Mods folder in the wrong directory or if I need to move the .git files elsewhere.

I am able to connect to my A15 experimental server, and I get the popup notification about choosing a class and using the key, but I don't have said key or briefcase. Help? =)

Hey all, just had an error - when i load it, it comes up with the coding error of "talltreegrassdiagonal" or something like that. anyone able to help? do i have to delete previous save games or what?

It sounds like you're installing the wrong version of the mod for your version of the game. What game version are you playing on, A14 or A15 b94?

I've a question for people here: I own a dedicated Linux server and, after 3 hours of searching, I FOR THE LIFE OF ME, am unable to find where I am supposed to install server-side mods. Anyone have insight?

In example: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?31730-Valmod-Pack - This has an A15 build.

It runs fine on Single Player, but when I drop all files into my 7D2D server, it only half-works. The new recipies for Classes don't show up etc, and I am unsure if I have the Mods folder in the wrong directory or if I need to move the .git files elsewhere.

I am able to connect to my A15 experimental server, and I get the popup notification about choosing a class and using the key, but I don't have said key or briefcase. Help? =)

Mods on a server install the same fashion that they do in singleplayer. There is literally no difference. Though since the server is running Linux the install directory may be different from that of windows. I don't know. Show me a screenshot of what you think is the install directory and I can probably verify it.

Just to clarify, the server needs the entire mod installed on it (well, other than my Mods folder, since icons dont push from servers anyway). The "server client files" I share, if you were using those, are only for clients who want to join the server. Can you give me the direct download link you used to obtain the files, just to verify?

Also dont worry about the Mods folder or the .git files. They are completely useless on the server. The .git files are actually usually regardless, they're just something github adds, pay them no mind.

Finally ensure that when you join the modded server it is your first time ever joining it. That is the only way you will spawn with the class selection and class key item. If your character has already existed in the world before the mod was added then you get nothing.

When you join the server do you see the toolbelt background image Valmod adds?

Troubleshooting this might be easier if you add me on steam so we can chat more directly.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/silkyfedora/

As a follow up

It sounds like you're installing the wrong version of the mod for your version of the game. What game version are you playing on, A14 or A15 b94?
- I am on A15 (b94) for client, and server is: INF Version: Alpha 15 (b94) Compatibility Version: Alpha 15, Build: Linux 64 Bit - from the tailed log.

-

I can join the server also, just I do not have the key, briefcase or recipes in the UI. I added you to Steam.

Hey Val - Has there been anyone noticing or remarking on the very high sale price of carpenter kits - easy exploit on sale value of those for classes that start with them.

Sell for far too much as is.

I was not even aware you COULD sell them as I did not add any value to them. However I will adjust that and make it so you CAN'T sell them. Lol.

- I am on A15 (b94) for client, and server is: INF Version: Alpha 15 (b94) Compatibility Version: Alpha 15, Build: Linux 64 Bit - from the tailed log.

-

I can join the server also, just I do not have the key, briefcase or recipes in the UI. I added you to Steam.

Issue was resolved in private, I believe. Assuming I'm remembering the name correctly.

I was not even aware you COULD sell them as I did not add any value to them. However I will adjust that and make it so you CAN'T sell them. Lol.

Issue was resolved in private, I believe. Assuming I'm remembering the name correctly.

Your a god - anything I can do to help you btw bro - I would be happy to help.

I also have gotten reports from my players on the imbalance of merchant order mailbox purchases vs VENDORS prices... guns and ammo especially.

Your a god - anything I can do to help you btw bro - I would be happy to help.

I also have gotten reports from my players on the imbalance of merchant order mailbox purchases vs VENDORS prices... guns and ammo especially.

Just continue sending any feedback you have and I'll be in your debt. Thank you.

As for prices in the merchant mailbox it /should/ be even out by now. Let me know if it still isn't.

40 coins / 9mm at Vendor

420 (hehe) for 30 - 9mm via merchant orders

14 coins per bullet via merchant order

-----

Is there a way to poll the values for sale of items from the Vendors to use as the values for mail merchant orders in case of furture or dynamic changes - I dunno but might be useful

You're welcome to share the mod and any included images wherever you so desire. What link you use is up to you. Though if they're viewing it on a blogspot anyway it would probably be more convenient to the users if the link you share is the direct download link. That way when they click the link they're not brought to another page and have to find another download link for the specific version your server is using. Direct links work best. Though of course its up to you on how to go about doing it, I have no issue one way or another.

Some of the fences may be inside the Artisan Decor Station, as they are a cosmetic block.

________

Mod Plans:

So guys I wanted to share some of my future plans with the mod and see what your input would be. I'm thinking of rewriting the perk system so that perks can be bought into without actually "finishing". Let me explain.

Currently the Gun perk costs 10 skill points. So you spend 10 skill points all at once and get the Gun. However I was thinking of giving the perk 10 levels. You need all 10 levels to unlock the recipe. What does this change? Well, on the surface, not a lot. You still will need 10 skill points to unlock it (as you will have to max it out) but doing it this way opens up some opportunity with books.

A big reason I removed so many schematic books is because I didn't like that if the player happened to get lucky they could get a free perk that would otherwise cost them 30 skill points or something. However if I gave the perks levels I could bring back some of the schematics. For example now finding a pistol book would not have to instantly unlock the pistol - but it could give you two or three points into the pistol perk to make it cheaper to buy.

This could also impact the classes a little. I could make perks "cheaper" for certain classes without actually unlocking them outright. Just for example the medic could start with 5 points in Pistol perk, meaning he'd only need to spend 5 more points to unlock the Pistol recipe as opposed to the full ten.

I think this system would add a lot of extra control and ultimately be better than the current system. The only "problem" I have is that I feel it might be too confusing for players. Many players are used to buying a perk once and instantly getting rewarded for it. There are already some who have difficulty grasping the multi-level perks like Metal Smithing (I bought the perk but still can't make X! Oh I need level 3 in it?). That is the only downside I can see to this approach.

What is everyones thoughts on the above proposal?

I like the idea I have played with your mod for some time now and I love what you did with it. I think it will give the crack a book more value then it does right now

- - - Updated - - -

Fyi game updated to b104 and it hates you again :wink-new:

Archived