Do campfires light zombies on fire?

image.thumb.png.52fb0ee526bfc2b0a7912309f3183693.png
I used to make a base with a tunnel and a few campfires at the entrance to soften them up. This time I decided to smack them off a rail and have them fall into a fenced in 3x3 grid of lit fires, but I don't think a single one caught on fire. This was 20 block drop so they all should have fallen and have to get up. Is this a bug or how they nerfed fire now?

All the loot bags are from 1 shot kills that resulted in a bag drop. None of those where from the actual fire damage.

I set several campfires up and purposely kited 3 zombies over them 3x and non lit. What's up with flames now?

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

That is what I thought and I couldn't get it to happen. I wonder why? I will have to test this again. The should have gotten lit as they walked up the stairs and then after they fell. I killed at least 100+ and never saw one on fire.
I couldn't get them to start on fire and I kited them over these at the bottom of the stairs several times after 4am to see if I could and it wouldn't work

image.thumb.png.ff2bcc0375063d81bd92658fcc9a551a.png

I haven't looked at the XML but I know the chance of anyone catching fire from standing on one is not 100%.  Just like hitting them with a torch.  But, at least before 1.0, zombies most definitely could catch fire from fire sources in the world (standing on a burning barrel, for instance, or on a pile of burned wood).  I will also go check this out to get more information.

The fire does not light. I think this was done on purpose. All traps wear out when triggered. If the fire was lit, it would be an ideal trap without wear and tear.

I wonder if the chance is so low they need a specific duration on top before they are lit. I will do some more testing, but the way I had it set up every zombie that fell off the rail after I knocked them down would have been on the campfire for at least 3 seconds while they got up and then hopped over the fence. that "should" have lit on fire.

Posted (edited)

I think I figured it out. They have to be standing and attacking you while on it.
image.thumb.png.31c85a2829a21c1ac073c834ff816792.png
I had these 3 go back and forth 10x and none of them lit until I corralled them in and forced them to stand and attack me from that position.
image.thumb.png.6564e0885fec31c1437ffa1d8d8aa724.png
So this might be the entire trigger. They must enter an attack state in order to trigger being lit on fire, which would be why a drop of 20 blocks (doesn't trigger and attack area/everything rage) wasn't doing anything, and simply running/walking over them wasn't lighting them on fire. I however will light up like a bonfire if I walk over it.

4 minutes ago, almighty_hood said:

a spear with a burning shaft mod sets them on fire but so rarely it's not the best option for a mod slot now only really good for light source.

Rarely?  Almost every zombie I hit lights of fire within the first 1-3 hits if I don't kill them first.

6 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Rarely?  Almost every zombie I hit lights of fire within the first 1-3 hits if I don't kill them first.

power attacks to the face mostly make short work of them they just go flying off over there someplace lol. hmm perhaps the server I'm on is set to low for difficulty? not really looked its a buddies but now I wonder. 

13 minutes ago, almighty_hood said:

power attacks to the face mostly make short work of them they just go flying off over there someplace lol. hmm perhaps the server I'm on is set to low for difficulty? not really looked its a buddies but now I wonder. 

Yeah, for low level zombies with a decent spear.  Higher level zombies (ferals and radiated, and even the biker) usually aren't going to die with a single power attack to the head (even with a Q6 spear fully modded) unless you trigger a "crit" that kills them instantly.  That's why I said, "if I don't kill them first".  I usually am killing them more quickly and so don't get them on fire every time.  But if I'm not because of their level, or if I haven't gotten a decent enough level spear yet, then they do light on fire a lot.