New Controller Controls (FEEDBACK)

2 minutes ago, Warscar said:

Came here for the same rant as most of you here. Great points were made, yet I fear that the old scheme is gone as the game engine had to be changed to the core due to different requirements for console. That would be sad, as I play this game on PC but exclusively on controller, and I will be forced to give up on it as the new scheme is simply too frustrating (no more hotkeys, miss-clicks and the lot).

I fear the same.

We tried playing again and both our hands hurt after about 1h30. If they keep this setup, they should rename the game to “7 days to get arthritis”.

It’s like they forgot that people use controllers, not robots. I can’t get over how dumb this is. Can you imagine when they launch cross platform too? It’s going to take console players 5-10 minutes to get done what mouse and keyboard users do in seconds. Unreal.

@darkodin

Depending on which controller you have, you may be able to try JoytoKey. I use it when I play the older versions that don't support

gamepad. Fully programmable, has hot key and multikey macro. No input latency, mouse sensitivity. You would have to load the alpha

with the key config you like, open the 7days window and just match the layout to your buttons and command. it also does mouse wheel,

and can emu rollerball. For 1.0, I just use the right thumb stick and pretend the arrow is invisible.

56 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

@darkodin

Depending on which controller you have, you may be able to try JoytoKey. I use it when I play the older versions that don't support

gamepad. Fully programmable, has hot key and multikey macro. No input latency, mouse sensitivity. You would have to load the alpha

with the key config you like, open the 7days window and just match the layout to your buttons and command. it also does mouse wheel,

and can emu rollerball. For 1.0, I just use the right thumb stick and pretend the arrow is invisible.

Cheers. I am on a ROG Ally. I'll look into it.

I literally signed up for this site after putting hundreds of hours into the game over the years just to echo what everyone else is saying: I started playing the 1.0 update and the new controller controls are awful. Holding Y to use the D-pad is literally just an extra step for no reason and is a bad design move that makes everything feel more frustrating and unsatisfying for no reason. You already have to take your thumb off of the thumbstick to use the D-pad so it is clear what your intent is. The controls used to be super smooth and responsive, now the game is borderline unplayable. Not being able to use the cursor in menus similarly slows the hell out of things and makes everything feel clunkier than it needs to. Literally just revert to the old controls, or give us an option to use them. If these are the release controls I worry it's going to smother the game in the cradle when it comes out on consoles.

The game looks great though! And it appears to be running far better, despite the increase in visual fidelity. Just wish I could actually play it in an enjoyable way.

Love the game (been playing it for years) & the new updates but this new controller layout makes it tedious as I can no longer respond quickly to what is happening in game. Please revert!  I foresee few will persist with the game using a  controller. Finding it too frustrating to play anymore.

22 hours ago, CMc said:

Love the game (been playing it for years) & the new updates but this new controller layout makes it tedious as I can no longer respond quickly to what is happening in game. Please revert!  I foresee few will persist with the game using a  controller. Finding it too frustrating to play anymore.

I love it too but if it doesn't revert I'm going to have to walk away. Facebook, Instagram and discord is full of people saying the same. It's killing me I can't try 1.0 properly.

Does anyone know if the devs have commented on this yet? I’ve only seen the one comment from them saying that they’re discussing it internally a week ago. Does it always take them this long just to make a decision on something like this? An ETA or at least an acknowledgement that they’re going to do something would be nice..

5 hours ago, Ken7 said:

Does anyone know if the devs have commented on this yet? I’ve only seen the one comment from them saying that they’re discussing it internally a week ago. Does it always take them this long just to make a decision on something like this? An ETA or at least an acknowledgement that they’re going to do something would be nice..

Devs commenting is random, you will most likely find out about results through the patch notes of the next experimental or stable release. If they have to change a lot it could take longer.

6 hours ago, Ken7 said:

Does anyone know if the devs have commented on this yet?

I remember at least one of them giving VERY high praise to the controller changes during the dev streams.

I have yet to see a single positive reaction from an actual player.

Weird disconnect. Makes me wonder where TFP were looking when giving that assessment. 

Opinions vary, I guess? I don't even use a controller so WTF do I know?🤐

Navigation of the menu, backpack and other UI is bad right now. Could we please move back to having a pointer arrow to select from again? Controller now locks onto boxes, requires you holding Y to perform actions, sometimes use the right joystick, and jumps all over the place when selecting tiles between your inventory and other menus. 

On 6/25/2024 at 8:13 AM, Immhotep said:

The cursor is still there if you use the track pad in the middle. It's the holding triangle to use an item that is really getting to me. Healing  eating,  crafting. Not to mention that you can't get to the individual pages (tools/science/clothing) of the creator menu. Oh and you can't navigate and read skills, the button to read them uses the points. And don't get me started on searching or bringing up an on screen keyboard. All those lovely new boxes I was going to play with are useless on controller. 

I use a PS5 controller. There is no cursor with or without the track pad.

I've been playing 7DtD since A16 and using a gamepad since A19 (more than 3,000 hours in Steam).  The interface and actions were fine.  Now v1.0 removed the virtual cursor and added button combos for basic stuff like dropping items or crafting.  Navigating the inventory, skill trees or any menu now takes much longer without a cursor.  I now have to use a mouse to navigate the menus and inventory, while I use a gamepad for general game play.  This is ridiculous!  This a bad decision affecting console and PC users with gamepads.  Please return the virtual cursor and pre-v1.0 Dpad actions.  

7 hours ago, darkodin said:

Update dropped today. No fix. I don't think they are going to reverse it.

That is no indication that they don't have plans of reversing or changing the controllers based on feedback.  The update dropped just now is for the changes that they have implemented at this point.

I expect one thing that is going to take longer for the controller review / discussion / changes is that they have to coordinate and work with the console development team.

1 hour ago, Deltaforceok said:

They have to reverse it you can’t even get to some of the perks in the skill menu. At least I wasn’t able to. 

Whatever they do they probably won't simply reverse it, much more likely will be that they have to reimplement the cursor or whatever is needed inside their new controller code. It means it will probably take longer to implement, with testing and all.

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

Whatever they do they probably won't simply reverse it, much more likely will be that they have to reimplement the cursor or whatever is needed inside their new controller code. It means it will probably take longer to implement, with testing and all.

Hopefully along with that is the removal of having to hold down triangle to manage or do actions with items. It makes doing things far more cumbersome.

I just want my 3 quick keys back with the dpad

or if they can figure out how to make the quick select radial menu not freeze you in place while using it that would also help.

Controller players now have no way to quickswap between 3 items of their own choosing, they can only quickswap between the last 2 things which is very suboptimal.