Dear TFP Developers.... please make it happen.

Check out this thread.

Check out about 4 posts down. I think SylenThunder posted a way to have multiple modded games set up.

At least for if you are using just the one alpha.

If playing different alphas then it has to be done different.

Posted (edited)

I can appreciate the desired option. It makes sense. As a person who works on a mod and generates lots of test worlds, I'd also appreciate the ability to keep a modlet in one place -- what we currently have. A compromise might be that when you start a world all of the modlets found in your mods folder get copied to the generated world.

Another option -- something I'd hope to see with Steam Workshop Support -- is that when starting a world you selected which mods should be applied to that world via some UI and then the game could find/load those modlets in the mods folder, but would just ignore any modlets that you didn't select for that world. Copying mods around on a system is a waste of space.

Steam Workshop Support I would hope would also allow for automatically downloading updates to mods, plus seamless installation. Those are things that can be confusing and frustrating to users today.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I thought this was a Windows file storage issue that caused the separation. We used to be able to store world files on any drive and it was moved to C:\ in A20ish I think. Windows mandates the location and TFP couldn't alter that from my understanding.

When you load 7d2d doesn't it load the mods at the same time?

They are not loaded at world creation/loading, or am I mistaken? If it's at launch, I don't think you could have them be world specific without a lot of code alteration.

For similar reasons I have my spawn.xml and biome.xmls saved in a world specific folders so I can swap them out as I like to make changes. I keep the OG in an OG XML folder so I can easily go back to vanilla.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

Having mods in the world folder sounds good until you consider what that means if you have many worlds and need to put mods in each one.  Much better to have a built in mod manager when starting a game.

Posted (edited)

I just make desktop shortcuts for different mods.

"D:\Games\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die a21\7DaysToDie.exe" -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\DF

That is my shortcut for Darkness Falls. 

If I were to do Undead Legacy, it would go...

"D:\Games\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die a21\7DaysToDie.exe" -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\UL

And for every set of mods, I just use a custom save path. I also do this to the Vanilla game so that my saves go onto a different SSD than my OS. 

fb1bbedd558e719232e27d8b68a77371.png

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

3 hours ago, warmer said:

When you load 7d2d doesn't it load the mods at the same time?

They are not loaded at world creation/loading, or am I mistaken? If it's at launch, I don't think you could have them be world specific without a lot of code alteration.

When you load 7d2d the console will report all of the mods it finds. You get to learn if the ModInfo.xml is okay.

When you load a game or the prefab editor you get to discover if there were any XML errors in other files, so my bet is the modlets aren't loaded then.

Ya know what you could do is make a folder with a short cut to your 7d2d directory and in that folder also have all the variations of mods in their own mod folder.

Open it up, click the 7d2d directory shortcut,

Delete current mod folder

Replace with new one by dragging a copy over

Run game

Would this accomplish what you want if it's "just" mod folder related assets,

or are we dealing with a lot of custom XMLs replacing vanilla files as well?