Running multiple modded multiplayer games with different configs - what are the best methods?

So we've got two computers here which can host 7D2D relatively well, mine and my wife's.

She's been hosting games with some of our friends which are lightly modded, using only server-side mods.

I want to run some games with heavier modding, including ones requiring client side mods. Since we're always playing together, this will require me to be able to log in to the lightly-modded games without trouble and her to log into the heavier-modded games also without trouble. This means switching back and forth between different mod setups.

What's the best way to set this up so it's minimal trouble? Sure you could have two mod folders and rename the one not in use each time you're going to play, or you could have multiple installations (I think - I'm not 100% sure on that), but are there any easier or more sensible methods? I don't recall seeing a 7D-specific mod manager. Nexus has Vortex, but IIRC people have complained in the past that it doesn't handle 7D well for whatever reason (is that true?).

Ideas? What do you guys do?

I just set up desktop shortcuts for each set of mods I want to run, and each set of mods has a different userdatapath. 

For example, the properties for my Darkness Falls shortcut is 

"D:\Games\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe" -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\DF -logfile=E:\SaveGames\DF\logdata.log

Notice how I am using the -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\DF argument.  The DF mods go into E:\SaveGames\DF\Mods

When I play Origins, I have a shortcut where the argument is -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\Origins

And so on.  The only reason I need different game client folders is for playing an older version. Like UL on Alpha 20.

23 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

I just set up desktop shortcuts for each set of mods I want to run, and each set of mods has a different userdatapath. 

For example, the properties for my Darkness Falls shortcut is 

"D:\Games\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe" -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\DF -logfile=E:\SaveGames\DF\logdata.log

Notice how I am using the -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\DF argument.  The DF mods go into E:\SaveGames\DF\Mods

When I play Origins, I have a shortcut where the argument is -UserDataFolder=E:\SaveGames\Origins

And so on.  The only reason I need different game client folders is for playing an older version. Like UL on Alpha 20.

Hold on. So I could have a separate vanilla game folder elsewhere like in my C:\7DTD folder and then just have shortcuts on desktop to different mod folder in UserDataFolder?

Which would save me a ton of space by having 8 folders with 8 full copies of the game files?

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

Hold on. So I could have a separate vanilla game folder elsewhere like in my C:\7DTD folder and then just have shortcuts on desktop to different mod folder in UserDataFolder?

Which would save me a ton of space by having 8 folders with 8 full copies of the game files?

Yep. The only reason I have multiple game copies is for different client versions.

11 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Yep. The only reason I have multiple game copies is for different client versions.

That is very good to know. I do have some different versions I use but I also have a few of the same alpha. I may (should) go in and reset them so I can claw back some space. Thanks for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just getting around to this.

I've been putting my mods in a "Mods" folder in the actual Steam directory, with the launcher, .exe, etc. This has worked just fine.

When I watched the video it mentioned you're actually supposed to put the "Mods" folder in the appdata (along with the saves, etc.)(nobody told me!), but I guess the old method still worked? Anyway, I'm looking to have multiple installs now for different mod setups, so if I just move the whole Mods folder over to appdata from the game's Steam folder, will it break any existing games?

Also, how do I even tell if a mod won't work from the appdata folder? All my mods except one minor one are updated for A21, so I think they're probably fine, but it would be good to know for future reference.

16 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Just getting around to this.

I've been putting my mods in a "Mods" folder in the actual Steam directory, with the launcher, .exe, etc. This has worked just fine.

When I watched the video it mentioned you're actually supposed to put the "Mods" folder in the appdata (along with the saves, etc.)(nobody told me!), but I guess the old method still worked? Anyway, I'm looking to have multiple installs now for different mod setups, so if I just move the whole Mods folder over to appdata from the game's Steam folder, will it break any existing games?

Also, how do I even tell if a mod won't work from the appdata folder? All my mods except one minor one are updated for A21, so I think they're probably fine, but it would be good to know for future reference.

Moving the mods to another folder will not break anything as long as the folder is detected by the game.  The default appdata location should be fine unless you've set your User Date Folder location to somewhere else.  I'd recommend creating a new game to verify your mods are loaded before loading an existing save because if something isn't working with your mods and you load into an existing save, you may break the save.

The location you have your mods/saves/etc. really doesn't matter.  They recommend not using the game folder mainly because Microsoft doesn't want you to use it.  I have all of that on a separate drive rather than in appdata because my C drive is not large.

You can tell if a mod has a problem by looking at the log file after loading the game.  Near the top, you'll see the information where it's loading the mods and it'll say whether it was successful or if there were any problems for each mod.  Of course, this doesn't mean the mod works correctly.  The mod could have something wrong with it still.  But it does mean the mod is loaded.  For example, if the mod adds a new craftable item to the game but they forgot to add a recipe to the mod, the mod will load fine but you won't be able to craft the item.  But that's not really what you were asking.  :)

Note: I will add that certain things expect your mods in a specific place.  I think at least one of the overhaul mods needs things to be in a specific location and I think at least one of the mod managers requires it as well.  But for pretty much anything else, as long as they are in your User Data Folder location (default being in appdata) or else in the game directory, they'll work.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Right now both folders should work. As far as i can remember they said that due to MS rules for the Playstore the App Data Folder will be the default and only directory for mods from A22 on. A folder that is hidden by default...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2024 at 1:41 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

Right now both folders should work. As far as i can remember they said that due to MS rules for the Playstore the App Data Folder will be the default and only directory for mods from A22 on. A folder that is hidden by default...

And is easily accessible through the game launcher…..