Banked turn for a race track, is it possible?

Aileras

I'm trying to build a race track for 7dtd vehicles and can't see anyway to build a banked turn. Has anyone else tried this and figured a way or a work around. Just moving around a flat surface just dosen't cut it, in my opinion. Here is my lame attempt. Just not right, lol.image.jpeg.48caa3ddc9fde08712a4fca33208a450.jpeg

You would need to make custom blocks as there aren't any in Vanilla that would do this.  Alternatively, you can make the track out of terrain via a heightmap and turn it into a POI.  That's a more advanced and unusual way of doing things, but it can give you some options that aren't necessarily available with normal blocks.  I'd probably recommend just making a custom block set as it'll be easier to work with, though you'll need a fair number of blocks to get the full curve and slope effect right.

I will say that there are a variety of sloped blocks in Vanilla that could give you a "poor man's" version of a sloped curve, but it won't look very nice.  Still, it would be better than what you have in that picture. ;)

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Thank you for the replies. I should have mentioned this would be on a public server, so wouldn't be able to modifiy anything. The 5m dome looks do able for a small tight turn like in my jpg, I will try it out. I think at this point I might have to just make a straight ramp that runs along the curve for wider turns.

There is a terrain shaping tool in the creative menu if you have the dev tools button switched on. It looks like a hot pink shovel. You could try shaping your banked turn out of terrain blocks using the shaping tool. I haven't played with it much but it might work.

The largest designed curves in the game are the 13 meter radius sidewalk tiles used in places like residential cul-de-sacs and traffic circles. I went into the prefab editor to see what’s available and how useful they’d be. It turns out the only version of these shapes I see are the plates, which are suitable for sidewalk tiles but not for a banked turn. And more surprisingly, they’re not even available from the shape menu. They’re dev only blocks.

So it seems the largest radius you have specific blocks for is 7 meters. For a race track curve, this is probably the gentlest/most forgiving wall you can create.

racetrackcurve.thumb.jpg.d4386593f4dfadd39361277c29f6060a.jpg

Now I know you weren’t looking for a wall. You were looking for a banked curve, as in a sloped road surface. Options here are even more limited, and theFlu is probably right that the 5 meter radius “dome” shapes are the least sharp shapes you’re going to find. There are all sorts of ramps/wedges but their corner pieces tend to make the turn within one block.

As it turns out, a banked turn doesn’t work anyway. I drove a motorcycle around some steep terrain in Navezgane, and it confirmed my suspicion that the physics aren’t there. The bike will pitch up and down to match the slope, but it won’t roll. There is no centripetal force pushing you into the curve. So really all you can do to actually constrain the vehicle’s movement is to put up a wall like the above, whether out of terrain or blocks. Curves via terrain are somewhat easier now with the dev terrain modeling tool, but I would still find blocks to be cleaner to use.

2 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

it confirmed my suspicion that the physics aren’t there. The bike will pitch up and down to match the slope, but it won’t roll. There is no centripetal force pushing you into the curve.

I was thinking of adding a comment on that, but didn't have the time to go test to verify... thanks for checking! :)

FYI-- I tested out the terrain shaping tool and couldn't make the terrain blocks into a smooth curved bank. Individual voxels stubbornly refused to smooth out. But perhaps I just suck at using the tool.