The no-trader challenge

2 hours ago, zztong said:

In my current no-trader playthrough (which I love) I've gathered some gold and silver. I've no use for it and I've been trying to think of a recipe I could make that would give them a purpose. The best I've thought of is to let them scrap into Brass. Admittedly, that's not really what you could do to gold and silver.

Do you have any ideas?

Maybe:

Make "solder" out of it. Maybe silver for tier lower tier things, gold for higher.

like...

- make a forge recipe to use the smelted lead with a silver chunk to fabricate a "bar of solder".? Maybe reuse icon for forged steel and recolor it a little

- use workbench to turn it into ... strips of solder. ReUse any thin long object as graphic.

- make "tree sap" a drop from chopping trees. Reuse fat graphic, color it orange

- use chem station? To turn solder strips and tree sap into solder wire? Or "soldering kit"? Not sure of icon to reuse for this. Maybe "repair kit" ?

then make that final part an ingredient to craft things.

On 4/9/2024 at 10:09 AM, 8_Hussars said:

I would have them be ingredients in higher end electrical/electronic items; craftable Solar Cells, drones, sledge or junk turrets, etc.

Then again I prefer that the electrical tiers were flipped. 1 Solar > 2 Batteries > 3 Gen Set.  Solar with restricted low power output is only good for one or two items or trickle charging batteries.  To run massive trap factories you need gen sets and fuel, that sound more end game to me.

That's an idea. I like the solar angle and have a modlet for similar that oddly enough modifies the traders... which aren't in my game.

23 hours ago, Roland said:

You can also choose to only use the trader on horde night days or on airdrop days. Ignoring the trader completely and spamming quests daily are two choices but they aren't the only choices.

I could have if there were traders. There aren't any traders on the map. They've all be replaced with the "overrun traders" POI variant in my POI pack. Other than melting down Dukes for brass, they're only useful in vending machines -- which are largely empty as I've modding down their inventory to be really low and basically never reset. -- Or maybe you were responding to something else? If so, sorry for the confusion.

23 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Make "solder" out of it. Maybe silver for tier lower tier things, gold for higher.

I'm not sure I want to add more objects to the game, but I could. I'd be tempted to just assume silver is solder, though why it drops when mining would have me wondering. But considering silver and gold to be a stand in for "rare earth stuff" kind of works... not that I think wasteland survivors will be making things like solar cells, but there's other game oddities like that, so okay sure maybe.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

4 hours ago, zztong said:

I could have if there were traders. There aren't any traders on the map. They've all be replaced with the "overrun traders" POI variant in my POI pack. Other than melting down Dukes for brass, they're only useful in vending machines -- which are largely empty as I've modding down their inventory to be really low and basically never reset. -- Or maybe you were responding to something else? If so, sorry for the confusion.

I was responding the the thread in general. Without needing to mod you can just use the supply drop event as “the dinner bell” to go and do a quest. Otherwise maybe you could mod the trader to only open when the supply plane drops its load and then close 24 hrs later. 

Personally I play on easy mode with loot and XP multiplied, but I'm playing on a small map and maxed out traders' level up quests and I'm not upset. Here are some ideas:

1. I really like the custom map generator. If you were able to set it so it generated only one trader, then I think the level quest would bug out and you could only ever do level 1, which would be fine for some people
  2. A modder could reduce store hours and even give shop owners days off. I think that days 6 and 7 would be best because you might need a trader on day 1. Traders get the "red sabbath" off