Mods & Save Files Location

As of this writing, you can save mods to either of these locations:

1) C:\Users\<UserID>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie

2) X:\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die

Can we get some official clarity as to if and when the top one is going to become the standard, and the second one phased out?

Further, why will this be happening at all? There are a large number PC players that run multiple modded copies of the game (even with different versions of the game).

For me, I would prefer the saves and mods to be game folder specific. In other words, each copy of the game would have their own save and mod folders for their respective game folders.

Not only that, a large number of PC players have a OS/Boot drive and separate game drive(s), and don't want to use the space on the OS/Boot drive to store the game data.

The Fun Pimps.... please advise.

The reason, as I understand it, is because of Microsoft (though I thought they decided not to get rid of the steam mod folder function).  The game is on Gamepass and the Microsoft store, and they don't let you alter the files in the game folder, from what I've been told.

9 minutes ago, 7DTD_Player_545342 said:

For me, I would prefer the saves and mods to be game folder specific. In other words, each copy of the game would have their own save and mod folders for their respective game folders.

As noted there was a Microsoft reason for the appdata fiasco.   Check out the 7d2d Mod Launcher, it  may solve some of your mod QOL issues.

54 minutes ago, 7DTD_Player_545342 said:

As of this writing, you can save mods to either of these locations:

1) C:\Users\<UserID>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie

2) X:\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die

Can we get some official clarity as to if and when the top one is going to become the standard, and the second one phased out?

Further, why will this be happening at all? There are a large number PC players that run multiple modded copies of the game (even with different versions of the game).

Not only that, a large number of PC players have a OS/Boot drive and separate game drive(s), and don't want to use the space on the OS/Boot drive to store the game data.

The Fun Pimps.... please advise.

To be clear, it is very unlikely that they will remove the ability to set your User Data Folder to other locations.  So even after (if) they remove the automatic acceptance of using the game folder for things, you'll still be able to use that or any other folder by setting it as your User Data Folder.  Personally, I'd recommend just using that setting even right now if you don't want to use %appdata% just so that you won't run into problems later if an update removes the automatic use of the game folder.  Mine's set to G:\Saves\, for example.

As to why... Microsoft is pushing to keep developers from saving stuff in the game folder.  And I actually agree with this as having every game saving stuff in a variety of different locations is a pain if you want to find the saved games or other things like mods.  The problem right now is that even when developers aren't using the game folder, they are using a variety of locations, such as Documents\GameName, Documents\Saved Games\, etc., as well as %appdata%.  And %appdata% isn't great because it is hard for most people to find.  In addition, most games don't let you change the location and the location is almost always on the C drive, which on modern computers is usually a small drive if you don't build the computer or upgrade it yourself.  There needs to be a standard location for all saves (and things like mods) that isn't the game folder and still allows you to set a drive for the location.  And it should be possible to override this location in games for those who need or want multiple locations.  But trying to get developers to standardize that isn't easy and may never happen.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Windows is on my C drive, games on the F drive and all 7D2D saves are automatically (default) to the F drive in a different folder than the game.  I didn't set it up that way, that is default.  Granted, I did uninstall and a clean install for A21, moving from E drive to F, so maybe A21 has something different cause I know A20 used AppData for saving games.  Still using the same Windows 10 as I have for years.

As others have mentioned, the 7DTD Mod Launcher will help resolve your issue with running multiple versions.

As for the future of the game, my hope is that TFP will build in a mod manager right into the game once it goes gold. I've actually been playing a lot of Farming Simulator 22 lately (leave me alone, I'm an old man) and they have a manager built right into the game and it works (almost) flawlessly. Not only can I browse and install most mods directly within the game, but I can also choose which mods I want to be enabled on a per-save basis.

Given TFP attitude towards mods (they're very much in favor of them) I think it would only make sense they do something like this in the future.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

I've actually been playing a lot of Farming Simulator 22 lately (leave me alone, I'm an old man) and they have a manager built right into the game and it works (almost) flawlessly. Not only can I browse and install most mods directly within the game, but I can also choose which mods I want to be enabled on a per-save basis.

That's one game I got in my current rotation right now.

On 1/30/2024 at 11:21 AM, Syphon583 said:

I've actually been playing a lot of Farming Simulator 22 lately (leave me alone, I'm an old man) and they have a manager built right into the game and it works (almost) flawlessly.

RimWorld as well. I'd like to think 7D2D might get there when they turn their attention to Steam Workshop integration.