Mod overgrown grassy roads and buildings

Hello, guys,
I would really like to see roads overgrown with thick grass and buildings covered in ivy in the game. I started looking for a mod that would add something similar to what we can see in the game Last of Us.

But I found nothing except the True Survival mod.

It has roads overgrown with grass. But I would like to install only this part of the mod. Maybe someone of you knows if there is such a mod separately, or perhaps someone can create a mod that would add more vegetation in the cities.

It would be cool if this was part ot he game!

I'd love to see Ivy that we could place on buildings and even let people climb it, but there's no vanilla block for that. If you made a custom block, then you could start to add it to custom POIs.

I think gnamod and maybe zombiome overhauls also had lots of stuff growing in the roads. I dont think either has been updated for a21.

also: there have been a few "fallen trees" mods done before a21, which i really liked and gave it that "natural feel". Just the normal trees in the game but on their side on the ground. 

anyway: i have not heard of a a21 compatible mod that does just the junk in the road, but there are a few mods to look at and figure out how they did it, or load up the mods in an older veraion of the game, see if you like "the look" and then ask the mod author and maybe they will help or tell you what to do/what specific areas/ settings to change.

I have never seen a building covered in ivy, or really anything but the winterween mod was able to cover buildings with snow blocks.... but making this "ivy" might look real bad. I do not have even a decent idea how to implement this idea. There is/are ways to make buildings "underwater", and a map? Or mods to do this i believe that work in a21... so maybe go for water instead? Like "flooded earth" and not "overgrown"? You can get plants and trees to spawn in/under water, and i believe make water very "murky", but i believe it would be "all the water" and not specific locations

UBBE had a couple ivy wall decorations you can try out to see if you even like the look.  It sounds nice but I haven't seen any that I would want to see everywhere.  Without a large variety of these decorations, you quickly end up with a very repetitive look.  But it works well here and there.

For overgrown roads, it is really easy.  If you edit the splat3 (roads) file, instead of a solid color line for roads, you want to add in black dots along the road.  These represent areas that will be terrain instead of asphalt or gravel.  And the game will put decorations (grass, trees, etc) randomly in any terrain blocks, which means it will fill in many of those black dots you put on the roads.

If you were to make a map using Teragon, this is the State parameter in the different create roads commands, where 100 is 100% perfect roads and anything lower will have areas that can be overgrown.  Even at 98%, you get some light overgrowth in the roads.  It can look really good without much effort or the need of a mod.

Another thought, and it might be crazy...

based on the "how to get plant growth on roads" from @Riamus (thanks for that info, i was unaware how this was done!) this idea comes to mind, and i have no idea if it would cause any secondary issues:

instead of "ivy covered buildings", maybe you go for "very overgrown", and do it in this manner, which is more work than i can imagine myself doing:

- make several new "growing plants", and several of these "starts with looking like normal grass or twig plants". You are going to want to make several variations and stages of growths, and "heights"

- for height: you are gonna want some tall, yet kinda realistic plants/grass. Up to 5/6 blocks high. Bamboo comes to mind.

- you are going to want all plant growth to be "different per plant" and really spaced out. Like "some plants reach full growth in 10 game days, others 100. The taller plants probably would be the longest to grow?

Then: replace all? Or nearly all (say: 50-80%?) of the grass in the game with these plants. Maybe even make biome edits to make more "grass and twig plants on the ground" so there is not a lot of empty space.

in theory: the ground on day 1 will he "short grass and things", and will slowly over 100 days the plants/grass "randomly" grow taller and taller, until eventually most 1 story houses are mostly obscured by plant growth.

anyway: might be interesting if it doesnt have any huge drawback (like FPS drop from all the growing). And i guess "grass/plants inside pois and close to them will likely... clip through the blocks?... i have no idea..which might be neat

Plants generally impact FPS, so as much as you suggest might not work well except on faster computers but it is hard to say for certain.

The amount of growth around an abandoned building varies significantly based on the plant life in the area and just nature in general.  You can have an abandoned house with nothing more than a field on knee high grass around it, while one just down the road could have shrubs that almost obscure the house.  This probably could be somewhat accomplished, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort to do so.

Keep in mind as well that day 1 isn't really the first day after everyone becomes zombies, so low plant growth on day 1 isn't too realistic.  The same for significant changes in growth over even 100 game days except with certain kinds of plants.

Overall, I think just having certain POI set up with an overgrown look to give the idea that overgrowth is happening some would be an easier option and work well.

3 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Plants generally impact FPS, so as much as you suggest might not work well except on faster computers but it is hard to say for certain.

The amount of growth around an abandoned building varies significantly based on the plant life in the area and just nature in general.  You can have an abandoned house with nothing more than a field on knee high grass around it, while one just down the road could have shrubs that almost obscure the house.  This probably could be somewhat accomplished, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort to do so.

Keep in mind as well that day 1 isn't really the first day after everyone becomes zombies, so low plant growth on day 1 isn't too realistic.  The same for significant changes in growth over even 100 game days except with certain kinds of plants.

Overall, I think just having certain POI set up with an overgrown look to give the idea that overgrowth is happening some would be an easier option and work well.

Depends how you play the game. I always play the game as if the z apocalypse just started.

13 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Depends how you play the game. I always play the game as if the z apocalypse just started.

I suppose, but then you need to believe that the deaths or changing of everyone who was barricaded in those buildings happened in a very short time.  I guess that is possible but I really can't see day 1 as being any closer to when it started than at least a few months.  And I'm more inclined to believe a few years.  But if it has just happened, then overgrowth would take years to develop into anything significant except if you have very far growing plants around the area, which isn't common.  So it would be a minimum of a few hundred days before it would even start to make sense to have any real overgrowth.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I suppose, but then you need to believe that the deaths it changes if everyone who was barricaded in those buildings happened in a very short time.  I guess that is possible but I really can't see day 1 as being any closer to when it started than at least a few months.  And I'm more inclined to believe a few years.  But if it has just happened, then overgrowth would take years to develop into anything significant except if you have very far growing plants around the area, which isn't common.  So it would be a minimum of a few hundred days before it would even start to make sense to have any real overgrowth.

true but as bft stated the grass day 1 be short and over 100 days it grow.

but there isnt really any set idea for when the z apoc started your way and my way is just as valid as anyone elses thoughts on when it started. 

People could prolly barricade their houses fairly quickly also in certain circumstances tho but yeh as well some could take as you say a while. 

Most grass won't grow too high even after years.  But yes, that does grow quickly.  I was referring more to the bushes and stuff covering the first story of a building that was mentioned.

I wasn't meaning the barricading takes a long time.  That can be done in a couple hours unless you really get elaborate (some POI are pretty elaborate).  I meant the people who were barricaded being killed or turned taking time.  Decent barricades and weapons should hold off the initial attacks and just looking at most POI, most don't look like they were overrun by zombies, suggesting that most of those people probably died going out to hunt or get supplies, which isn't likely to happen to everyone in a short amount of time.  At least until zombie numbers start to get really high.

But yes, there isn't anything saying how long it has been and one guess is as good as another.  I just can't see it being under a few years or we would see people besides the traders.  Unless the idea is that only this area of the world is like this and other areas do have a lot of people still (we get air drops, so this is a possible scenario).

Either way, I think limited overgrowth in certain POI would work better than trying to overrun the entire map.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)