Bring Back The Spear Toss :)

OneManStanding

I really enjoyed tossing spears, even if on a rare occasion they fell through the world. I play Chivalry 2 and I think the light and heavy attacks could all be trained to wither you tap or hold the primary input, leaving the secondary for additional motions. You could stab and power stab with your spear with one button and then toss it with the other. Likewise you could chop and power chop with your axe, then do a sweeping slash attack with the other button. With knives you could jab, power-stab, and then potentially throw. With knuckles you could punch, power punch, then do an uppercut. And so on.

Now if they would add an Action2 to all weapons so that ranged weapons could get a melee attack, and that could be used for a spear throw without losing the current power attack, I'd be all for it. But that is unlikely so I'd rather it stay as it is now. I don't want my modded out spear falling through the ground, or being stuck in a zombie that just rolled off the rooftop or something similar.

There is another possible option, which could placate most.

Copy each of the spear references in the xml.

Rename the spears to Thrust and Tosser separately.

Enable throw mechanic on the copies.

They would use all of the same, prefabs just giving each player
the choice of thrust or throw.

No extra coding, just a copy and paste.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally am half for it and half against it.
I certainly enjoyed being able to throw spears, but it was sad to see high quality custom made spears sometimes disappear into the void. In that sense, I think the current spear specs are good.

So, my idea would be to add a "Javelin as a new throwing weapon with no modification factor as a consumable".
The balance would be something like "less expensive than a regular spear, more powerful than a bow or crossbow, but shorter range, and can't carry as many".

And I'd be happy if they added a throwing knife or something...

Edited by Funukemaguro
Translation Improvement (see edit history)

Since the devs were gracious enough to leave the code available to re-enable these in xml, as well as other

aspects of the game. I modded it back in, but as a balance, I only allow it on the stone spear, If I lose one, it only

takes some wood and rock to recreate.

It allows me when first starting and weak to disease, to fight forage and venture, using the age of stone, weapons.

The way I see it when reading the Xml, when the game is completed, as long as it hasn't gone into a new Unity version,

I and others that choose to mod the game can still play the way we like.

For others welll.... not so much. Thanks TFP for keeping all of the easter eggs available.