Does 7D2D collect in-game statistics?

Morloc

well the in-game thing tracks zombies kills, game stage, number of deaths. suppose if someone had the knack for it they could create some sort of tracker for it on a global scale. other developers have shown there are ways to extract data from server-based Unity games (Escape from Tarkov comes to mind, they can track total number of scavs killed, how many players are USEC vs BEAR, how many roubles spent, etc). but since 7 Days is mostly not hosted on centralized servers like Tarkov I'm not sure if it is possible to accurately gather that information without each and every copy of the game transmitting that to some database for information storage.

Yeah, that's the thing I was asking about (I should have been more specific)....

"GameSparks collects and creates data charts for the Pimps to get better idea of how we play. Which will in turn help them balance aspects of the game better."

I was wondering if the Pimps were able to dynamically respond to trends in how we play.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

5 hours ago, Morloc said:

Yeah, that's the thing I was asking about (I should have been more specific)....

"GameSparks collects and creates data charts for the Pimps to get better idea of how we play. Which will in turn help them balance aspects of the game better."

I was wondering if the Pimps were able to dynamically respond to trends in how we play.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

Afaik that´s exactly what GameSparks does.

15 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Afaik that´s exactly what GameSparks does.

Well, the best that I can determine without digging too deeply is that is what GameSparks did do prior to its 'retirement' at the end of March 2022. (What is GameSparks? (back4app.com)).

Now whether 'retirement' means that all its functions have ceased to operate or that the system is just no longer supported is another question. 

I'm with @Morloc in asking the same question: What, if anything, is TFP using to monitor how 7DtD is played at this time?

On 10/12/2023 at 5:49 AM, RStarphoenix said:

there are ways to extract data from server-based Unity games (Escape from Tarkov comes to mind, they can track total number of scavs killed, how many players are USEC vs BEAR, how many roubles spent, etc). but since 7 Days is mostly not hosted on centralized servers like Tarkov I'm not sure if it is possible to accurately gather that information without each and every copy of the game transmitting that to some database for information storage.

But as I understand it, every SP game is a server-based Unity game - my machine is a server for one participant. And if my machine is indeed acting like a server, I don't suspect that the sheer number of SP games being played at any one time would stop any entity from gathering information from it, provided of course that ability is embedded in my server settings. Am I paranoid? No. Distrustful? Yes, a lot.

24 minutes ago, Melange said:

But as I understand it, every SP game is a server-based Unity game - my machine is a server for one participant. And if my machine is indeed acting like a server, I don't suspect that the sheer number of SP games being played at any one time would stop any entity from gathering information from it, provided of course that ability is embedded in my server settings. Am I paranoid? No. Distrustful? Yes, a lot.

It doesn't matter for data-collection whether your game is a server or a client. All it needs is a network connection initiated from your game to a data collecting service. 

7D2D used gamesparks, but it seems that got turned off in November 2022.  I think I remember there was an option in the launcher to turn gamesparks on or off and that vanished. The Eula still gives TFP the rights to collect data, but if they still do they would have had to programm their own thing which I doubt. Or use a different service but then they surely would have to mention that service unless it allows them to host the collection servers themselves (which is unlikely for a commerical service as they want to keep their customers on a rope).

In other words I think it is likely that they don't have any telemetry data (except what steam can tell them) since Nov 2022.

OK then. No matter when the service was terminated, my gut feel is that since the recent Unity engine financial charge 'fiasco' hit, TFP would be reluctant to pursue any further plugin compatability with Unity. Seems it was pushed by Amazon? Oh what a web they weave.

Is TFP running blind? So, no telemetry at this stage? It'd be refreshing to know what's actually going on.