Server side item icons and unity files?

Plexius

So i got to thinking and maybe this isnt possible i do modding myself so this would be AMAZING since im working on a server with a few friends.

My train of thought is wouldnt there be a way to make the server download custom item icons and unity files for blocks and such like it would when you download a new map when loading into a new server? Im just really curious whether this was possible at all or if anyone else has thought about this.

• 2 months later...

Bump. Does anyone have knowledge on making a custom game launcher that can be updated from an outside source. I played WoW private servers years ago and many servers had custom launcher that would update so players didnt have to install a new pack and replace the old one the launcher would do it for you. Does anyone know if this is possible or has anyone attempted something like this?

On 10/5/2023 at 12:44 PM, Plexius said:

So i got to thinking and maybe this isnt possible i do modding myself so this would be AMAZING since im working on a server with a few friends.

My train of thought is wouldnt there be a way to make the server download custom item icons and unity files for blocks and such like it would when you download a new map when loading into a new server? Im just really curious whether this was possible at all or if anyone else has thought about this.

No any mod that has a custom icon needs to be client side as well. 

15 hours ago, stallionsden said:

No any mod that has a custom icon needs to be client side as well. 

stallionsden, I am probably wrong but I took the question as could the client download the custom icons and files the same way it downloads custom maps when a server is joined..

Again I could be mistaken.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:55 AM, Gamida said:

stallionsden, I am probably wrong but I took the question as could the client download the custom icons and files the same way it downloads custom maps when a server is joined..

Again I could be mistaken.

this is exactly it. The files are still client side but it takes the work out of putting it in the folder since it seems most people hate doing that when they play multiple servers. all im saying is someone with knowledge in C++ could probably easily make a code to download from the server files upon load up of a custom launcher. If something like this is made 7D2D could really transform in terms of modding.

i am not asking for something that is already made i should add that the main focus was has anyone TRIED to make something like this if not, why not?

3 hours ago, Plexius said:

this is exactly it. The files are still client side but it takes the work out of putting it in the folder since it seems most people hate doing that when they play multiple servers. all im saying is someone with knowledge in C++ could probably easily make a code to download from the server files upon load up of a custom launcher. If something like this is made 7D2D could really transform in terms of modding.

i am not asking for something that is already made i should add that the main focus was has anyone TRIED to make something like this if not, why not?

That could become a mess esp with many not knowing what to do. Like they end up playing a new overhaul etc. They want know to remove that stuff etc.

Tho I think of this were possible the mod launcher by sphereii would work wonders cause it pretty much makes a temp game folder and removes it when done I believe. 

But then the same players whom have very little to no understanding to don't want to read etc won't wanna learn the mod launcher either  

On 12/19/2023 at 11:16 PM, stallionsden said:

That could become a mess esp with many not knowing what to do. Like they end up playing a new overhaul etc. They want know to remove that stuff etc.

Tho I think of this were possible the mod launcher by sphereii would work wonders cause it pretty much makes a temp game folder and removes it when done I believe. 

But then the same players whom have very little to no understanding to don't want to read etc won't wanna learn the mod launcher either  

good point its just an idea i had that potentially could grow the servers easier

Do you really want something that allows binary files to be pushed to your computer without any say so on it?  Also, it would definitely break EAC, so now you're narrowing it down to non eac servers.

Ultimately, I suspect steam workshop will support this tho.

On 12/24/2023 at 11:34 AM, Guppycur said:

Do you really want something that allows binary files to be pushed to your computer without any say so on it?

Now this from my standpoint i didn't even think of this but i suppose there are malicious people around so maybe it wouldn't be a good idea i suppose