No more shader warnings in server logs

Riamus

Shader warnings in server logs (when the server doesn't have a graphics card) clog up the log file and make it very painful to try to read. If it is necessary to show the warning, maybe slow it once when starting the game or something instead of hundreds of thousands of times.

21 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

That seems low.  TFP should target a million minimum  😉

I don't see a point in mocking someone over this. It would not make any sense to do shaders on a server anyways. It is only physics/memory stuff/item transactions

2 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

I don't see a point in mocking someone over this. It would not make any sense to do shaders on a server anyways. It is only physics/memory stuff/item transactions

Apparently the fact that this was a joke flew over your head.

22 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Apparently the fact that this was a joke flew over your head.

Well guy is obviously trying to fix a problem and you are joking around, having nothing of value to add. Being in his situation, I would not consider that funny at all.

5 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Well guy is obviously trying to fix a problem and you are joking around, having nothing of value to add. Being in his situation, I would not consider that funny at all.

I actually did and even marked his post with a laugh.  😀. I knew it was a joke.

2 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Even so, joking is not the same thing as mocking. It's not as if the OP's mom died and BFT decided to joke about it. It's weird to try and stir up crap over something so trivial.

22 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

No worries, you were not my target audience.  Riamus was and he found it funny.  Getting someone to chuckle or laugh is always valuable, especially in today's climate.  And laughter doesn't stop the problem from being fixed or not looked at.  Loosen up and enjoy life, and let others have fun.

9 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Just to chime in, we have been and definitely still wanting to get rid of these. IIRC, this is something on Unity's end and not something we can do anything about ourselves. Hopefully we can get rid of them someway. 

Probably not. Unity plans to charge developers for every instance of the warning...

10 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Just to chime in, we have been and definitely still wanting to get rid of these. IIRC, this is something on Unity's end and not something we can do anything about ourselves. Hopefully we can get rid of them someway. 

Is there not a way to work around it even if it's Unity?  For example, a catch when writing to the log that will check for that and skip it, or even remove the lines after they are written if you can't jump in before writing it to the log file, though that's not ideal.  Or something where you look at what is causing the error to generate and do a check for whether or not a GPU is present and, if not, do not do whatever causes the errors.  That would require more effort to skip that, but is probably a good thing to do anyhow for servers rather than constantly trying to do something that can't be done on a server.  Probably reduce resources and improve performance at least a little bit for servers.

Of course, I'm just tossing out ideas and you guys have probably already thought of these.  ;)

On 10/7/2023 at 5:26 AM, Riamus said:

Is there not a way to work around it even if it's Unity?  For example, a catch when writing to the log that will check for that and skip it, or even remove the lines after they are written if you can't jump in before writing it to the log file, though that's not ideal.  Or something where you look at what is causing the error to generate and do a check for whether or not a GPU is present and, if not, do not do whatever causes the errors.  That would require more effort to skip that, but is probably a good thing to do anyhow for servers rather than constantly trying to do something that can't be done on a server.  Probably reduce resources and improve performance at least a little bit for servers.

Of course, I'm just tossing out ideas and you guys have probably already thought of these.  ;)

What sucks about unity, you have no access to source code. That is one of the main reasons why this can be fixed only by unity (in case it really is on Unity's side).
Sorry about my recent aproach. I am kinda frustrated from porting my project to UE5. Cheers! (and have fun with 7dtd ofc :D)

On 10/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, Cr0wst0rm said:

Sorry about my recent aproach. I am kinda frustrated from porting my project to UE5. Cheers! (and have fun with 7dtd ofc :D)

No worries, we all have bad days which is why I didn't try to escalate it further, but instead kept my replies light hearted