Lost stuff - drone, mini bike and now motorcycle poof gone to the ether ...

kendo888

it is a long known bug that's apparently still not completely fixed, that the vehicles you have placed in the world can get lost,

when you log out of the game and then later relog in to continue.

Doesn't happen with "stored" vehicles though.

So just make sure you have your vehicle(s) picked up and safely stored in your inventory (hotbar, backpack, or inside one of your storage boxes) when you log out.

If your game crashed, then it could also be that you lose stuff (not only vehicles), but this is not a thing the game can be blamed for, or let's say it like this: no game can properly handle unexpected crashes and you can just continue at the exact point the crash happened. If so, you got lucky, but don't expect it to be like this every time. 

On 9/29/2023 at 6:35 AM, meilodasreh said:

Doesn't happen with "stored" vehicles though.

So just make sure you have your vehicle(s) picked up and safely stored in your inventory (hotbar, backpack, or inside one of your storage boxes) when you log out.

This. My group is well-accustomed to this, and we make a point to pick up our vehicles before logging out in order to avoid it. Can't tell you how many times we lost bikes, gyros, 4x4s before we developed that habit. 😬

On 9/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, Old Crow said:

It's not even beta.

It's a hybrid at this point. For simplicity's sake they won't change the name of their updates but there is no question that the current development phase definitely has elements of beta and there are precious few new core features that still need to be added.

On topic, due to the nature of the voxel terrain, they may never completely solve this issue so that players are guaranteed to never lose a vehicle as the world generates. They've reduced the use cases dramatically but it is definitely a good idea to pick up your vehicles before logging out. That being said, I've left my vehicles out parked around my base for years now and haven't lost a single one in both single and multi-player games.

In normal circumstances (i.e. server and network connections up to the task) lost bikes are very seldom, while logging out of the game happens a lot. You should ask yourself if replacing that bike through creative mode (if available) isn't much less fuss than doing that routine every single game day?

Wasn't it even a thing that vehicles shouldn't disappear when parked on a player placed block?

Can't remember exactly.

But that would also be a kind of immersive way especially for a group, as I would assume those would all agree to gather at a base to log out?

So make a garage then and drive all the vehicles inside there?

8 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Wasn't it even a thing that vehicles shouldn't disappear when parked on a player placed block?

Can't remember exactly.

But that would also be a kind of immersive way especially for a group, as I would assume those would all agree to gather at a base to log out?

So make a garage then and drive all the vehicles inside there?

Well, the game doesn't know what players place.  But maybe if it is not a terrain block?

Anyhow, I've only lost vehicles when crashing and I could always get those back after finding where they were.  And I leave all my vehicles on the ground all the time.  The drone bug from A21 is the one issue I do have and they are working on that.

OP:  Just so you are completely aware!

The drone/vehicle issue can be a problem.  I've experienced this myself.  The only practical way I've found to get them back is to trace my steps to the last place I'd remember seeing it.   I've also restarted my game and sometimes that helped.

But, there is a caveat!  The drone can be damaged to the point of 0% quite easily, and thus might also be the reason how that drone got left behind.  It ceases to function and just sits down on whatever available ground there might be.

2 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

OP:  Just so you are completely aware!

The drone/vehicle issue can be a problem.  I've experienced this myself.  The only practical way I've found to get them back is to trace my steps to the last place I'd remember seeing it.   I've also restarted my game and sometimes that helped.

But, there is a caveat!  The drone can be damaged to the point of 0% quite easily, and thus might also be the reason how that drone got left behind.  It ceases to function and just sits down on whatever available ground there might be.

A note for future reference for you... vehicles will post their coordinates every so often in your console/log, so finding them is pretty easy instead of running around retracing your steps.  The drone bug is another matter as the drone can be completely lost when driving and not be recoverable when the bug occurs.  Also, drones only rarely post their coordinates to the console/log, which is a pain if you are trying to find it and it doesn't show on your compass.  They do always post right when you join a game, so you do have the option of exiting and joining to get the coordinates.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Riamus said:

A note for future reference for you... vehicles will pay their coordinates every so often in your console/log, so finding them is pretty easy instead of running around retracing your steps.  The drone bug is another matter as the drone can be completely lost when driving and not be recoverable when the bug occurs.  Also, drones only rarely post their coordinates to the console/log, which is a pain if you are trying to find it and it doesn't show on your compass.  They do always post right when you join a game, so you do have the option of exiting and joining to get the coordinates.

Console - as in client side?  That would explain why restarting helps as well.

As for the particular drone bug you're describing, I don't think that I've encountered that one as I've always managed to find it on my own.  I can't think of a time I've ever lost it permanently.

2 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Console - as in client side?  That would explain why restarting helps as well.

As for the particular drone bug you're describing, I don't think that I've encountered that one as I've always managed to find it on my own.  I can't think of a time I've ever lost it permanently.

Yes, this will be on the client log and console.

The drone bug is relative rare.  I've had it happen once and try happening again, but I knew what was happening and quickly stopped by motorcycle and picked up the drone before it got lost the second time.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)