Option to Take Your Player to New Maps...

OneManStanding

I think players should have the option to bring their established player with all their stats and inventory to new worlds and to multiplayer maps -- provided such an option is enabled for that map. We've exhausted the world we're in now -- I think I'd like to actually try a smaller map for the novelty, but the idea of starting from scratch (which we've done a few times already) is something we'd like to avoid. It can take a while to know wither a map is going to be good or not, and it can also take quite a while to get to a point where the game is challenging. You'd start right off the bat with a better character but also tougher zombies and horde nights.

The ability to bring your player to other maps would mean you could play separately and then team up for big POIs and Horde Nights - drop-in and drop-out style like in Borderlands. Again, this feature would only be enabled if you wanted it to be. You could potentially have open multiplayer maps where players could come in with their fully decked out player for pvp events or last-man-standing horde worlds where it is CONSTANTLY horde night and the zombies just keep coming.

I agree it would be a neat feature and there would be a variety of possible ways to do it. I kind of like the notion of linking maps together (solo play) or linking servers together with some kind of gateway (multiplayer).

Moving a character between games is already possible today with manual effort. You can copy your character over to other saved games. Just know that (1) you'll only have what is in your inventory, and (2) your starting location will be the X,Z location you were at on the previous map.

Yes that would be really neat. But i can only strongly recommend what @OneManStanding already said: This needs to be optional. Server owners and hosts need the option to deceide themselves if they want that or not. That is important.

I remember the huge endless drama on valheim where this was or is possible and you couldn´t turn it off on your server. Not sure how it is today there though.

I have brought this up for a slightly different reason: then modders could make custom (small) maps special built with a single quest (or something).  Like "all snow with single large poi and soecial npcs/bosses/etc. onve you "play that out" you can then teleport to the next map (or teleport backwards to previous map). If this were possible, then you could link together multiple maps and "build out a story or campaign) put of all of them. Maybe 8 players start at map 1, then 2 choose "quest 1" and the others "quest 2" and they all go their separate paths, and meet up on a map and cannot progress until they all meet back up (with special items), etc. it only reall works "well" with vanilla and not mods as .... all items have to work/exist on all maps to move inventory... but imagine: an all underground map, that goes to a mountain map, that leads to an all forest map.... that leads to a boss map. And so forth.  It would be really cool, and then modders would have not just a mod with stuff, a map could come with a specific mod.

I always wondered if something like that could be done. I think like in Ark. You would have 2 or 3 maps in your GW folder and if you go to a trader in one world you could have the option to

teleport to a trader in one of the other worlds. They could be multiple biome worlds or maybe you could even have each one be its own biome. If it was(is) possible would be(have been) fun to try it.

I wonder if it could be scripted somehow, at a client level. Like... to make it "neat" you could have a quest or something lead to a location , and upon quest completion (not necessarily going back to a trader) a mod loaded would sense the "win" condition and save the player/game, then disconnect and rejoin a new game at an ip address/port or simply restart pointing to a new map already loaded locally. If "player inventory" is not kept on map load (and it would not if joining a server.... so maybe "local game only") then the mod would take note of player inventory (skill points, etc) and gift it/put it back into the newly joined player inventory?

6 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Impossible. This would mean your savegames would have to be stored on cloud with some kind of verification, otherwise player can easily cheat his items.

Yes, linked servers would have to share some data store, cloud, file server, a database server, or something. While you could develop a scheme to transmit character files and endure some loading screen, the "latest copy" of your character would be only on one server and that would get messy pretty quickly.

Solo games with multiple maps would be in good shape.

16 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I wonder if it could be scripted somehow, at a client level. Like... to make it "neat" you could have a quest or something lead to a location , and upon quest completion (not necessarily going back to a trader) a mod loaded would sense the "win" condition and save the player/game, then disconnect and rejoin a new game at an ip address/port or simply restart pointing to a new map already loaded locally. If "player inventory" is not kept on map load (and it would not if joining a server.... so maybe "local game only") then the mod would take note of player inventory (skill points, etc) and gift it/put it back into the newly joined player inventory?

Every time anything is stored on client, the client can modify the data. It is like having your pc password broken. Your friend has access to the computer, pass may be hard to break, but it STILL is possible.