Farming Perk Magazine

Sembo

Been playing for some time and I love the game.  I thought of a suggestion while I was playing.

I did read the list and I know that farming is on there but this is more specific.  I think a perk magazine for farming would make it much more viable and interesting.  As it is, farming isn't viable.  Even with "Living off the Land" at full level you cannot keep crops going.  You simply don't get enough seeds back and crafting seeds takes more than what you produce.  Eventually you have to go buy or find seeds.  I noticed that there was not a perk magazine related to farming so I thought I would introduce the idea if it hasn't been already.  This is especially good timing with the release of the Dew Collectors as they can be related to it.  My idea goes something like this

Vol. 1: Wild plants have a 20% chance to produce seeds when harvested

Vol. 2: Dew Collectors are 15% faster

Vol. 3: When crafting seeds get a 10% chance to get an additional seed

Vol. 4: Farming plots grow 20% faster

Vol 5: Planted trees grow 20% faster

Vol 6: Crafting seeds is 20% more efficient (requires 4 vegetables)

Vol 7: Dew Collectors produce 20% less heat

Full Collection: Farmed plants always produce 1 seed (+50% chance)

This would make farming viable.  I realize that, to a degree, you are not supposed to be able to just sit in your impenetrable base and live off vegetable stew.  I get that part of the design concept is that you need to leave your base from time to time to forage/buy supplies. However, I feel like there are already plenty of reasons to go out and do things.  That, and since this is a perk magazine it's going to be a while before you find the whole collection and can live completely off of farmed food.  Another good way to give players the impetus is to nerf vegetable stew.  Sure, it's filling, but lower or remove the stamina buff and voila, it's just like grilled meat.  If it just keeps you from starving then plenty of reason to go find the other ingredients for better food.

Your math isn't mathing.  Don't get me wrong i would love for their to be more book sets, because those are fun.

Here is my suggestion.  At perk level 1 and above you want at least 10 plots for each crop you want to grow.   It can take a bit to work up to that, but it is well worth it.  Also until you are able to keep up with seed production i make sure to bring back all of my seeds found in the world. 

If you are playing with more than 1 person i would suggest add 5-10 plots per crop, per person.  Make sure they know to bring back any canned good that is used in a recipe.  You should be swimming in food by the time you have level 3 farming perked up.

Make sure the person cooking the food is perked into master chef, and that they are making the best foods with the crops you are growing.

Strange, I have played with Living of the Land 1 and had fully self-sufficient farms going.

And at LOTL3 you can't even fail if you have an unbelievably improbable string of misharvests because even the worst case gives you back more plants from a seed than you need to produce a seed.

2 hours ago, Sembo said:

As it is, farming isn't viable.  Even with "Living off the Land" at full level you cannot keep crops going.  You simply don't get enough seeds back and crafting seeds takes more than what you produce.

And here we go, How to say you don't farm, but claim to be an expert on what needs to be improved about it.

LoTL maxed out gives you a minimum of 6 crops back per harvest, with a 50/50 chance of a 7th bonus crop.  Seeds only take 5 crops to craft, and you have a 50/50 chance to get a seed back when you harvest.

19 hours ago, Sembo said:

Even with "Living off the Land" at full level you cannot keep crops going.  You simply don't get enough seeds back and crafting seeds takes more than what you produce.

This might be true if you only planted 1-2 of every crop. Farming a completely viable, even without fully maxing out LotL as long as you plant sufficient numbers, which is obviously hard to do at first, but you can work your way up to it and it's not a huge investment. 5-10 plots of the same crop and I'm usually swimming in excess food.

Farming shouldn't be easy and it's a little ridiculous that players keep trying to make it trivial.