Standard Ammo Vs HP

OneManStanding

I do want to point out that all weapons do get a boost from Penetrator perk, as it adds additional armor penetration for any range weapon (and spears).  So a point in Penetrator gives you a 10% increase in armor penetration for all guns (20% for spears).

So AP ammo starts with a 50% armor penetration that you can increase with the Penetrator perk.  Max would be 70%.  Maxed out at Perk Level 3.

Spears, if you were to max out Penetrator perk, would give you a 100% armor penetration.  Maxed out at Perk Level 4

Edited by BFT2020
Adding maxed out perk level (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

Considering lead is mineable and brass is not...

I can see a point there, but brass is hardly in short supply either. Even if we run out of cars in our town and the nearby cities, we've still got Dukes we can melt down from selling stuff - we can make high-level gear from the bits and pieces we get after a horde night and sell them. All things being equal we can make twice as much regular ammo or half as much High Power. If I can put it this way, each 7.62 bullet does represents 47 damage; you can fire two bullets for a grand total of 94 damage, or use that second bullet tip to make one High Power which does only does 55 damage by itself and loose 39 potential damage of the second bullet.

56 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I do want to point out that all weapons do get a boost from Penetrator perk, as it adds additional armor penetration for any range weapon (and spears).  So a point in Penetrator gives you a 10% increase in armor penetration for all guns (20% for spears).

So AP ammo starts with a 50% armor penetration that you can increase with the Penetrator perk.  Max would be 70%.  Maxed out at Perk Level 3.

Spears, if you were to max out Penetrator perk, would give you a 100% armor penetration.  Maxed out at Perk Level 4

Thank you for pointing out that it works for spears.  I never read the description that closely and didn't realize it worked for them.  I'll have to look into using it more.  😀

1 hour ago, OneManStanding said:

I can see a point there, but brass is hardly in short supply either. Even if we run out of cars in our town and the nearby cities, we've still got Dukes we can melt down from selling stuff - we can make high-level gear from the bits and pieces we get after a horde night and sell them. All things being equal we can make twice as much regular ammo or half as much High Power. If I can put it this way, each 7.62 bullet does represents 47 damage; you can fire two bullets for a grand total of 94 damage, or use that second bullet tip to make one High Power which does only does 55 damage by itself and loose 39 potential damage of the second bullet.

If it's lead that's limiting your ammo crafting, then Hi Power is almost certainly a bad call.

Looked on as total resources to make a 7.62 bullet, Standard comes in at 16 and Hi Power at 19.

Lead 2 4
Clay 2 3
Brass 6 6
Coal 3 3
Nitrate 3

So you don't make twice as much regular ammo as Hi Power, it's more like 20% more. If, and it's a huge if, gathering all five resources is about equal work for you/your team.

5% extra damage could be significant, notably because of the increased decapitation chance. There's a check of damage against target health in addition to the flat percentage chance from perk stats, so you'll see more one hit kills from Hi Power even if the extra 5% damage doesn't generally affect the number of hits required to kill from aggregate damage.

Again, I don't craft much Hi Power at all, but I favour perception builds that love AP ammo and have brass to spare. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying Hi Power is clearly underpowered currently, although I suspect it might be.

The biggest factor for me in not using HP is it won't stack with regular ammo, and I seem to pretty much only find regular ammo as loot. If, at high loot stage, a significant portion of looted ammo was HP I'd probably start using it more often.

Edited by Uncle Al (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Uncle Al said:

The biggest factor for me in not using HP is it won't stack with regular ammo, and I seem to pretty much only find regular ammo as loot. If, at high loot stage, a significant portion of looted ammo was HP I'd probably start using it more often.

Unless the game is modded, you will never find AP or HP ammo as loot.  You will only get it via crafting, trader award, or buying it directly from the trader.  For some reason, it does not exist as a lootable item in the game.

I was going to say at first what level you could find it, then realized that the reason I was finding it in my game was I specifically added those types of ammo to the loot tables.  So when I been playing, I do find AP and HP ammo that I save up and use in-game.

5 hours ago, Uncle Al said:
Lead 2 4
Clay 2 3
Brass 6 6
Coal 3 3
Nitrate 3

That is a VERY interesting way to look at the problem :) Given full 6000-stacks of each resource, the limiting factor would always be brass and not lead - either way you couldn't make more than 1000 rounds. I'm tempted to see HP as maybe a better option... However, the damage improvement remains fairly miserly for the HP rounds. The irradiated zombies are boasting around 500 health -- that's 10-11 rounds per kill for standard versus 9-10 rounds for AP.

33 minutes ago, OneManStanding said:

That is a VERY interesting way to look at the problem :) Given full 6000-stacks of each resource, the limiting factor would always be brass and not lead - either way you couldn't make more than 1000 rounds. I'm tempted to see HP as maybe a better option... However, the damage improvement remains fairly miserly for the HP rounds. The irradiated zombies are boasting around 500 health -- that's 10-11 rounds per kill for standard versus 9-10 rounds for AP.

Yeah, not enough bang for the extra buck. Maybe on nightmare they do better, or are you already there I forget?

本投稿の本来の議論内容とはずれるかもしれませんが、あなたが毎日BMHを実施し、かつ多くのゾンビを倒したいという欲求をお持ちだという前提に立って考えます。
その場合、防衛拠点の構造を「はしごにゾンビを誘導し、はしごを登る彼らの頭上から撃つ」ようなタイプに変更することを推奨します。
これはほぼ常にヘッドショットが可能なため、弾丸の消費量は1/2~1/3に減少します。
また、AP弾が非常に有効に働くようになるため、さらに効率が上がります。この場合、通常弾を使うよりもAP弾を使うほうが資源的にも効率がよくなるでしょう(すべての弾丸をクラフトする場合)。
撃った弾丸が地面を掘ってしまう問題については、足元を非常に硬いブロックにするか、弾丸が通過するフレームブロックを用いて対処します。
グリッチのような拠点が嫌いと仮定しても、ゾンビがはしごを登って生存者を襲うのは自然なことなので、納得できる範囲ではないでしょうか。

(google translation)

This may be off topic from the original discussion of this post, but I will assume that you do BMH every day and have a desire to kill as many zombies as possible.
In that case, we recommend changing the structure of the defense base to a type that ``leads zombies to the ladder and shoots them from above as they climb the ladder.''
This reduces bullet consumption by 1/2-1/3, as headshots are almost always possible.
Also, AP bullets will work very effectively, making it even more efficient. In this case, it will be more resource efficient to use AP bullets than regular bullets (if all bullets are crafted).
To solve the problem of bullets digging into the ground, you can either use a very hard block under your feet or use a frame block for the bullet to pass through.
Even if you don't like Glitch-like bases, it's still natural for zombies to climb up ladders and attack survivors, so it's understandable.

1 hour ago, Krougal said:

Maybe on nightmare they do better, or are you already there I forget?

We're on Insane - as high as it goes as far as I can see. Fully expected the zombies to stomp us flat -- and they nearly did on the second night, it was the most damage my castle sustained! But we had the resources to rebuilt it and go again. And again. And Again. No traps or anything, just concrete bars to hold them up at every corner. Between us we're using up around 4000 rounds of 7.62 and 1500 rounds of shotgun ammo a night, maybe 300 or so magnum. We started this lark somewhere around night 60 but this is night 90 and we're still holding our own. The zombies seem to have pretty much hit their own limit. We're thinking about turning off the Horde Nights and going back to doing POIs to see how the zombies are like in those situations.

5 minutes ago, binf_shinana said:

We recommend changing the structure of the defense base...

At the start we had a base which relied upon zombie pathing behaviour -- but using a walkway instead of a ladder. I wanted something that would be awesome to defend and be awesome even when it came crashing down around us, something the zombies could really attack, which is why we went for this base:  

image.thumb.jpeg.4b876570034066b650e8c403ea1b9c13.jpeg

We've modified it a bit since this picture was taken, but you get the idea :)