Vehicle damage/durability

Riamus

Can someone tell me where to edit the damage a vehicle takes?  Or at least a way to increase vehicle durability if the damage is not done using percentages?  If the damage is just multiplying the max durability by a percentage, then increasing durability will have no effect, but otherwise I can use that if I can't change actual damage.  I just want to get rid of this horrible damage in A21.  A quarter of what it is would be fine but not what it is right now.  Thanks.

I modified the items.xml definitions. Here's it is right from my home-grown modlet:

<items>

<!-- Alter the Vehicle Durability
    Vehicle     Original        Modified (x3)
    Bicycle     1500            4500
    Minibike    2000            6000
    Motorcycle  4000            12000
    4x4         8000            24000
    Gyrocopter  3500            10500
    -->

<setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleBicyclePlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">4500</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleMinibikePlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">6000</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleMotorcyclePlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">12000</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicle4x4TruckPlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">24000</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleGyrocopterPlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">10500</setattribute>

<!-- Attempt to change the amount of repair from a repair kit. - Doesn't Work -->
    <!-- <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='resourceRepairKit']/property[@name='RepairAmount']" name="value">16000</setattribute> -->

</items>

3 minutes ago, zztong said:

I modified the items.xml definitions. Here's it is right from my home-grown modlet:

<items>

<!-- Alter the Vehicle Durability
    Vehicle     Original        Modified (x3)
    Bicycle     1500            4500
    Minibike    2000            6000
    Motorcycle  4000            12000
    4x4         8000            24000
    Gyrocopter  3500            10500
    -->

<setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleBicyclePlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">4500</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleMinibikePlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">6000</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleMotorcyclePlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">12000</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicle4x4TruckPlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">24000</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='vehicleGyrocopterPlaceable']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='DegradationMax']" name="value">10500</setattribute>

<!-- Attempt to change the amount of repair from a repair kit. - Doesn't Work -->
    <!-- <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='resourceRepairKit']/property[@name='RepairAmount']" name="value">16000</setattribute> -->

</items>

Thanks.  I'll try this out tonight.  I'm tired of constantly repairing.  It is too bad the repair kit part isn't working.  I was thinking about that when mentioning durability but thought that would be easier to change.  Guess not.  Still, not having to repair constantly even if I have to use more repair kits is still an improvement.  If you find a way to reduce damage taken, please let me know as that would be the preferred option.

I know they are showcasing a plow mod for the 4x4 so maybe they are going to provide armor that way but until you can prevent the high damage, I'll stick to modding the game.  😀

1 minute ago, Riamus said:

If you find a way to reduce damage taken, please let me know as that would be the preferred option.

I'll try to remember, but I'm not sure reducing damage would be universally appealing either. I mean, I can still drive a 4x4 or motorcycle off of a skyscraper and drive away afterwards.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

I'll try to remember, but I'm not sure reducing damage would be universally appealing either. I mean, I can still drive a 4x4 or motorcycle off of a skyscraper and drive away afterwards.

Well, I just want it for myself and someone I play the game with.  I wouldn't even care if I destroyed the vehicle after jumping off a skyscraper even though that is fun.  But I hate dealing with the constant damage whenever I drive.  It has made driving the 4x4 pointless.  So it doesn't really need to be universally liked since I just want to do it for myself. 😁

26 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Well, I just want it for myself and someone I play the game with.  I wouldn't even care if I destroyed the vehicle after jumping off a skyscraper even though that is fun.  But I hate dealing with the constant damage whenever I drive.  It has made driving the 4x4 pointless.  So it doesn't really need to be universally liked since I just want to do it for myself. 😁

That's odd, we almost never have our vehicles take damage. We also don't drive over dried wood blocks or ram zeds. We almost never (and mean mean almost NEVER) have to service our vehicles.

With that said, we ditched the in-game 4x4 because the spikes on the front caught on everything. We use the humvee by Bdubyah instead.

If you have any lag at all in loading the environment while at fill speed with a supercharger, it is likely you will ruin into ore and rocks and fences and shipping carts and such because they can appear right in front of you.  If you have no issues, that is good for you but I don't enjoy having to drive very carefully around the environmental objects.  If it was first person view and loading distant objects was better on my computer, I probably wouldn't have such issues.

Add in the fact that the motorcycle will often spin circles or slide around back and forth if you drive over the terrain just right or you wobble back and forth if your turn slightly (none of which fits my experience riding real dirt bikes) and it can be very easy to hit things.  You can't even really do anything to recover from those slides and turns beyond doing and now that doing takes a long time, you are at the mercy of the game.

I could also say that I've never had an issue with the 4x4 getting stuck on terrain unless I drive it into a ditch or try to get through the wasteland without being careful.  That doesn't invalidate your own experience.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

3 hours ago, zztong said:

Well, that explains your icon choice, zztong! Now, to make an Acme anvil we can drop on zombies in the red moon...

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

If you gave any lady at all in loading the environment while at fill speed with a supercharger, it is likely you will ruin into ore and rocks and fences and shipping carts and such because they can appear right in front of you.  If you have no issues, that is good for you but I don't enjoy having to drive very carefully around the environmental objects.  If it was first person view and loading distant objects was better on my computer, I probably wouldn't have such issues.

Add in the fact that the motorcycle will often spin circles or slide around back and forth if you drive over the terrain just right or you wobble back and forth if your turn slightly (none of which fits my experience riding real dirt bikes) and it can be very easy to hit things.  You can't even really do anything to recover from those slides and turns beyond doing and now that doing takes a long time, you are at the mercy of the game.

I could also say that I've never had an issue with the 4x4 getting stuck on terrain unless I drive it into a ditch or try to get through the wasteland without being careful.  That doesn't invalidate your own experience.

My vehicles (I only build from minibike and up) all have the fuel saver, reserve tank, and supercharger. Motorcycles and up also have the lights mod installed (off-road lights). We ride wide-open, but while we're still on minibikes we tend to harvest the cars that you cannot loot and clear the roadways. The humvee is maybe as fast as the 4x4, but with far better clearance. We've never had issues running into things. We also don't hold SHIFT and we take our time.

Of course none of this matters in our world now. I was finally able to build a UH-60 Blackhawk and now six of our seven players can ride in style!

2 hours ago, Cranberry Monster said:

Well, that explains your icon choice, zztong! Now, to make an Acme anvil we can drop on zombies in the red moon...

Hehe, yes. Well I chose Wyle E. Coyote because I regard him as the patron saint of engineers. If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

yea i searched all day to find a way to increase the repair value of repair kit and i din't find any... i even had an idea but nothing find for it: greezymonkey perk say that it increase the repair vehicle efficency so i through i could modify the multiplier or something like that but i didn't find the buff for it in the progression xml or in other xml file, someone help us i have to use 30 repair kit every time i pass through the wasterland

48 minutes ago, Tomojk said:

someone help us i have to use 30 repair kit every time i pass through the wasterland

I thought once you got points into Grease Monkey, the repair amount shifted from a flat 1,000 to that plus a percentage of the vehicle's health. I thought I was seeing vehicles being repaired pretty quickly when I was experimenting with vehicle damage and repair.