Bedrolls do not create DeadZones - possibly restart related

DatDamnDutchie

Hi all,

I tried searching for this but I didnt see any (recent) topic about it.

We took over a prison POI, cleanedit out fairly tough early game but we finally managed. We both slapped down our bedrolls, I placed a LCB (Which range I increased in settings as well), and we started building our base in it.

Now, every so often , we log back in and the whole dang POI is repopulated. like, sleeper spawns smack in the middle of our base, chests, work bench etc.

I do not know why it sometimes is, and sometimes is not doing that. It seems related to server crash and auto restarts, but when I properly restart it doesnt seem to trigger it. I am not sure about this.

All I know is that it doesnt happen everytime we log off and back in.

Does anyone else have that problem?

- Also, LCB's do not prefend zombie spawns really right?  Its just the bedrolls?

11 hours ago, DatDamnDutchie said:

Does anyone else have that problem?

- Also, LCB's do not prefend zombie spawns really right?  Its just the bedrolls?

LCBs should prevent spawns except during blood moon.  And zombies shouldn't spawn on blocks... Only terrain.  The exception are sleeper volume spawns.  These shouldn't happen if you have an LCB placed, though.

Well the sleepers are the problem, they just happily spawn next to my LCB and bedroll, theres 3 players and all have their bedroll down a bit apart. Sometimes we log in and the POI is back to having all its sleepers inside. The loot isn't respawning etc, so its not like the POI reset. It's just the sleepers that do not give a crap about our bedrolls nor LCB.

1 hour ago, DatDamnDutchie said:

Well the sleepers are the problem, they just happily spawn next to my LCB and bedroll, theres 3 players and all have their bedroll down a bit apart. Sometimes we log in and the POI is back to having all its sleepers inside. The loot isn't respawning etc, so its not like the POI reset. It's just the sleepers that do not give a crap about our bedrolls nor LCB.

Is this a new save from stable or is it a continuation from experimental?  I'm guessing it is a problem in the save as others are using POI bases and haven't mentioned this problem.  But maybe there is some bug specific to that POI that is causing the problem.

I think it might be a bug, I was able to reproduce the issue so I put in a bug report based on info from @LilPaisley's original thread

To be clear, I made a new save, went to the loot room of the army camp, killed all the zombies, and was able to get those zombies in that same loot room to respawn later, even with an LCB and bed roll within 10 blocks away

2 hours ago, Star69 said:

One of you folks that have experienced this should submit a Bug Report officially by clicking the red banner above.

but... I did?...

On 7/11/2023 at 10:50 PM, NekoPawtato said:

I think it might be a bug, I was able to reproduce the issue so I put in a bug report based on info from @LilPaisley's original thread

8 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

but... I did?...

Ok, your bug report was confirmed, BUT:

You seem to have tested exactly what @Jugginator mentioned in his reply to @LilPaisley i.e. if you ONLY cleared the loot room you still have untriggered sleepers in that POI. AFAIK those untriggered sleepers are just a number, not zombies at fixed locations. So when you leave the area for a time and return, the number of zombies left will be redistributed to random locations, including into ones you already had a zombie in and cleared.

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

Ok, your bug report was confirmed, BUT:

You seem to have tested exactly what @Jugginator mentioned in his reply to @LilPaisley i.e. if you ONLY cleared the loot room you still have untriggered sleepers in that POI. AFAIK those untriggered sleepers are just a number, not zombies at fixed locations. So when you leave the area for a time and return, the number of zombies left will be redistributed to random locations, including into ones you already had a zombie in and cleared.

Thanks, I went back and re-tested, but this time went through entire POI and killed everything before putting bed roll and lcb down, still can reproduce zombies coming back.

When the zombies came back, I would do another "killall", leave area, update time, log off/on, go back to area, and each time there would be zombies. Not all of them respawned though, first time only the ones in the loot room respawned, second time it was 2 zombies in the corners, third time it was loot room again. So I think it's definitely something that needs a deeper look into.

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

Thanks, I went back and re-tested, but this time went through entire POI and killed everything before putting bed roll and lcb down, still can reproduce zombies coming back.

When the zombies came back, I would do another "killall", leave area, update time, log off/on, go back to area, and each time there would be zombies. Not all of them respawned though, first time only the ones in the loot room respawned, second time it was 2 zombies in the corners, third time it was loot room again. So I think it's definitely something that needs a deeper look into.

Have you tested without updating the time?  I don't know the accuracy of it but someone (SylenThunder, I think) said that this can cause corruption in saves.  Maybe try it by changing the day time down to 10 minutes/day and let time run normally and then turn it back to your normal amount and see if it still happens.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Have you tested without updating the time?  I don't know the accuracy of it but someone (SylenThunder, I think) said that this can cause corruption in saves.  Maybe try it by changing the day time down to 10 minutes/day and let time run normally and then turn it back to your normal amount and see if it still happens.

Haven't seen any corruption issues personally, but I haven't been around as long, and I usually do all my testing on a throwaway/sandbox save in SP anyway. I'm guessing things get trickier when you have to deal with multiplayer/dedicated servers and networking.

Just for science though, I tested it again without using the settime command (you can actually speed it up even faster with debug mode, I set it to 1 minute/day, much better than waiting 100 minutes to test this) and waited until day 12 for good measure, the zombies still show up 😅