Ferals at low gamestage in cities.

Catt

Hey guys!

Just wondering...is this intended?

I'm less than a week in, lvl 5 give or take, alpha 21.0 stable, and I find an occasional feral walking the streets in broad daylight. To be fair, this is insane difficulty but I find it weird I can find ferals at the beginning of the game. Seems to be closer to the inner city (maybe a factor?) Instead of rural areas. Never in pois as sleepers thankfully.

Yes, the commercial an downtown districts within cities have harder zombies such as ferals, cops, etc.  Going into more difficult biomes will also increase gamestage difficulty which translates to ferals / radiates sooner then you are accustomed to seeing them when compared to previous Alphas.

Its normal, Be careful going into the commercial district in a town on day 1/2 ish, as any of those zombies could be a feral and ferals that early at least on warrior difficulty can basically 3 shot you. Killing them with a wooden club is kinda hard that early with no perks etc behind it. Its like the cop cars, before you drain its first hit of hp to jam the lock, be ready to run as it often spawns 5 ferals. Run away come back later and you can go thru the 250 jammed lock state with a stone axe etc then loot the car. The cop cars always have decent loot in them too, I loot them even on day 1, Mark car on map, bash thru first layer of hp to see if the ferals spawn, if they do, I run away and come back later to loot it, if they don't (its not guarnteed they spawn just a high chance) I just loot it then.

I was (solo) playing A21 Navezgane on default, on burnt forest, around day 3-5... and suddenly there were 4-5 zombie dogs barreling down nearby. One of them saw me and the rest caught the scent of my fear. Needless to say I didn't have a chance.

Edited by SenLim (see edit history)

On 6/30/2023 at 11:18 AM, Laz Man said:

Yes, the commercial an downtown districts within cities have harder zombies such as ferals, cops, etc.  Going into more difficult biomes will also increase gamestage difficulty which translates to ferals / radiates sooner then you are accustomed to seeing them when compared to previous Alphas.

Yep, but I have run into them just making my way from the tutorial spawn to the trader, in the middle of nowhere, in the forest biome, during the day, on normal difficulty.  One was in a destroyed building in the middle of nowhere.  It wasn't even a POI.  The other was shortly after leaving the tutorial area.  I saw one walking toward me and thought I would get some XP, and walked toward him.  He started sprinting at me and then I saw the yellow eyes, and I panicked.  I have seen a few others, but they were a little later on.  

1 hour ago, Kiern said:

Yep, but I have run into them just making my way from the tutorial spawn to the trader, in the middle of nowhere, in the forest biome, during the day, on normal difficulty.  One was in a destroyed building in the middle of nowhere.  It wasn't even a POI.  The other was shortly after leaving the tutorial area.  I saw one walking toward me and thought I would get some XP, and walked toward him.  He started sprinting at me and then I saw the yellow eyes, and I panicked.  I have seen a few others, but they were a little later on.  

Do you recall what map you were playing?  If so, what was the size and seed name?  My guess is you spawned in the forest biome but somewhat near the border of the wasteland biome which would explain the feral and destroyed building that you saw.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Do you recall what map you were playing?  If so, what was the size and seed name?  My guess is you spawned in the forest biome but somewhat near the border of the wasteland biome which would explain the feral and destroyed building that you saw.

It was a random map and I didn't give it a seed name, but it was 8k.  Unfortunately, I deleted the save because I didn't like the starting town, and wasn't planning on mentioning the ferals until I saw this.  I just wrote them off as flukes. I only mentioned it here, in case it was part of a more widespread issue.

There were no wasteland areas nearby, that I could see.  IIRC, there was a mountain range behind me, so there could have been one on the other side of that, but it was pretty steep, and I was pretty far from it.  The one in the building was well on my way to the trader and there was nothing but grass and trees in all directions.

16 hours ago, SenLim said:

I was (solo) playing A21 Navezgane on default, on burnt forest, around day 3-5... and suddenly there were 4-5 zombie dogs barreling down nearby. One of them saw me and the rest caught the scent of my fear. Needless to say I didn't have a chance.

That´s acutally one tpye of a wandering horde that can happen. Doesn´t matter where you are.

18 hours ago, SenLim said:

A21 brought back the old a16.4 dog wandering hordes. They only appear if a wandering horde is due to spawn on very specific game stages, 2 of these being 20 and I think 34. So if your game stage is around there and you haven't had a wandering horde in a day or 2 be ready. If anything the a21 ver of the doggo horde is worse than a16.4 as in a16.4 it was static, every game on exactly day 5 you'd get the dog horde around 2 pm ish. So you could be ready for it, but in A21 its GS based so partially random. Sometimes you don't ever get one, some games like my last game I had 2 in the first 8 days.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, Scyris said:

A21 brought back the old a16.4 dog wandering hordes. They only appear if a wandering horde is due to spawn on very specific game stages, 2 of these being 20 and I think 34. So if your game stage is around there and you haven't had a wandering horde in a day or 2 be ready. If anything the a21 ver of the doggo horde is worse than a16.4 as in a16.4 it was static, every game on exactly day 5 you'd get the dog horde around 2 pm ish. So you could be ready for it, but in A21 its GS based so partially random. Sometimes you don't ever get one, some games like my last game I had 2 in the first 8 days.

If my memory is correct, the chance at a dog horde was pushed back to a later gamestage as in A20 it could happened way too early.

11 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I'll just add that I saw ferals on day 1 in the pregen 8k map in b313.  It was just barely outside of town in the forest without any other biomes nearby.  I had thought to attack it and then realized it was feral.  Fun fight with a tier 1 spear and no armor.  I haven't really paid attention since then.