Question about leftover zombies in a clear quest

NekoPawtato

Is it normal for there to still be zombies in a POI after finishing a clear quest? I know there are people who have reported issues about not being able to finish a clear quest because they can't find the zombie, but I actually ran into a POI with the opposite issue in that I found a couple of zombies still in the building after completing the clear quest. 🤔

I want to say I read about this somewhere before, but Google is failing me and I just get results about people not being able to complete clear quests instead

Yes this is normal. It is very easy to go all the way to the end and still have some zombies left over.

It's only a problem when you are in a bigger POI and you have no idea where they are. This is why I don't do level 5 missions. 

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Are you sure that they are not just zombies that wandered in?  I have that happen all the time

yes because they are on a roof and sleeping :)

I initially had the same thoughts as you, so I ran the POI again later and actually saw them get up from the floor and attack

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

There are several rooms in especially larger POIs that are specifically designated "outside of the quests". Things like "out of path" garages, backyards etc.

Sounds like they're mostly meant to be a way to avoid the frustration of having to clear every little bit, including secret areas, but they work as a surprise for the quest complete as well.

EDIT: Mostly for @BFT2020 I guess, I'm talking about "SleeperIsQuestExclude" tags.

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

Even with the possibility that it is intended, it may be worth having someone check the POI to see if any sleepers are excluded because it could still be a bug.  For that, we'd need the name of the POI.  Especially being on the roof makes me think they shouldn't be excluded.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Even with the possibility that it is intended, it may be worth having someone check the POI to see if any sleepers are excluded because it could still be a bug.  For that, we'd need the name of the POI.  Especially being on the roof makes me think they shouldn't be excluded.

It's downtown_filler_06, I wasn't sure whether to log a bug about it

I looked in the xml for the "SleeperIsQuestExclude" tag that @theFlu mentioned, and I do see some values set to "true" which sounds like it's intended then? 🤔

I'm assuming each true/false flag corresponds to a zombie group in SleeperVolumeGroup, I'm not sure what all the numbers after each group means though

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

and I do see some values set to "true" which sounds like it's intended then? 🤔

To me, with absolutely zero knowledge other than the tag, yup, sounds like some volumes are not meant to count for quests.

As for trying to understand the rest, "what all the numbers <...> mean". I could start guessing, but... there's plenty of tags. "SleeperVolumeGroup" is only one of them, that seems to set the group of available zombies for the volume - either a specific type for immersion like businessmen or construction guys, and/or based on strength, as one of the groups is literally "S_-_Group_Zom_Badass". Can also be a single zombie type. The numbers in that tag are anyone's guess, first I thought they might be the number/variance of zeds to spawn, but there's a few (,0,0)s there as well.

Each tag gives every sleeper volume one particular attribute. Some of them are types of zeds to load into the volumes, some of them are about how the zeds in the volume behave when loaded in (passive / aggressive / triggered-by-a-Switch), etc. Would need a manual to actually know what they're meant to do.. :)

16 hours ago, theFlu said:

There are several rooms in especially larger POIs that are specifically designated "outside of the quests". Things like "out of path" garages, backyards etc.

Sounds like they're mostly meant to be a way to avoid the frustration of having to clear every little bit, including secret areas, but they work as a surprise for the quest complete as well.

EDIT: Mostly for @BFT2020 I guess, I'm talking about "SleeperIsQuestExclude" tags.

I tend to clear those out first, so probably wasn't aware they were not counting towards the quest.