Insight from a new player

DDDX

Greetings & salutations. New player here, 1.st playthrough with GF terrified of zombies, day 90ish in progress. Have yet to find the elusive crucible.

1. Biting zombies. I'd love seeing some Either as a special type ("Gnawler") or as a %chance heavy attack/normal attack when they come too close. Guaranteed infection + bigger damage.

2. Why is there sooo many bones/skins? I mean, is there anyone lacking them...like ever?

3. Trees should not grow so fast. I understand some biomes are lacking in trees, but come on. This way you'd have to plan ahead more

4. Any chance for:

A. zombie kids? (Smaller, weaker, faster). If Dying light can have them...maybe they'd be of the biting kind - easy to kill but fast moving + infectious if they bite you.

B. Random zombie appearance (as in, different hairstyles, attire...I guess that would take some coding, since now they are just textures and this would make them...modular? How difficult would this be to make? How CPU intensive?)

C. Fire being used more effectively? For example, flamethrower traps that use gasoline, methods of lighting zombies up for longer periods/more hp loss (cause right now the burning shaft mod is kinda pathetic). Seeing how now we have fire implemented, would be a shame not to use it more. Dare I say flamethrower?

D. More non - humanoid threats? For example spiders, something in the water to make you want to traverse it asap (zombie electric eel shocking you hehe), and maybe a mole-like threat being unearthed as you dig a mine, the deeper you go the bigger the chance you let one or even a bunch of those critters out... I really love how birds behave, stalking you above before attacking you - or not, they just circle menicingly. Wish there was more wildlife out there, both regular and zombified.

E. Zombie pheromone. Makes you "invisible" to zombies for x duration. Dropped from high-end targets. Does not work vs animals, and should that happen, wears off vs zombies as well, as soon as you are hit.

I apologise for the length of this. Hope you find some of it of value.

9 hours ago, DDDX said:

2. Why is there sooo many bones/skins? I mean, is there anyone lacking them...like ever?

Totally agree. I'm never short on bones or glue (can be made from bones). I guess to be somewhat realistic as you can get within the context of a post apocalyptic setting? Animals and humans are made of bones.

9 hours ago, DDDX said:

3. Trees should not grow so fast. I understand some biomes are lacking in trees, but come on. This way you'd have to plan ahead more

Could be tweaked I suppose, but sorry I have to poke some fun, how realistic do you want this to be - five actual in game years for a tree to grow? There has to be that right balance between realism and fun factor.

9 hours ago, DDDX said:

A. zombie kids? (Smaller, weaker, faster). If Dying light can have them...maybe they'd be of the biting kind - easy to kill but fast moving + infectious if they bite you.

Kind of twisted, maybe a boundary they don't want to cross? Very morbid. You kind of scare me.

18 hours ago, DDDX said:

It depends on your specialization and play style. Do you craft everything yourself or do you loot ? What weapons do you use?

For example, I used explosive crossbow bolts for the horde in one playthrough. I used 100 glue per week for that alone. Add to that the glue I use for the repair kits. Since I repair all items before I sell them, I use a lot of repair kits.

It also depends on whether you are in the early, middle or late game. In the late game you have practically too much of everything, in the early game you have practically always too little. You chop up leather couches to get leather and collect all the bones you can get your hands on to have enough to craft everything.

18 hours ago, DDDX said:

Due to the high growth rate, you don't have to plant as many trees. Since trees have a big impact on the FPS, you don't want to have many of them in your immediate area. If you want you can mod the growth rate to match what you want. 

18 hours ago, DDDX said:

Children zombies are a controversial topic and the developers of every game they had so far had to take criticism. Moreover, they risk being banned in some countries. The Fun Pimps will not risk this just to satisfy a minority of players.

If you need small agile enemies in a game you can also resort to animals. I think the zombie dogs and vultures fill this role well in 7 Days to Die.

18 hours ago, DDDX said:

C. Fire being used more effectively? For example, flamethrower traps that use gasoline, methods of lighting zombies up for longer periods/more hp loss (cause right now the burning shaft mod is kinda pathetic). Seeing how now we have fire implemented, would be a shame not to use it more. Dare I say flamethrower?

I doubt that something like that will come. Burning zombies are already a lag-fest. 

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

Ok, the trees being a performance problem did not ocure to me as a potential issue.

However the only time I see a drop is with god rays in sunrise/sunset.

Besides, things could be fixed by giving us smaller, young trees that are way simpler and skinnier, then after 5-6 days they grow into bigger trees.

I hate planting a seed in the morning and seeing a huge tree in a day or 2. Just doesn't sit right.

As for children...come on! I can set mutant crawling shrieking BABIES on fire, in The forest, i can (and absolutely must) kill a passive, non attacking, crying shrieking zombie child in Dying light (cause it invites tons of zombies)...to name a few, but god forbid we had something like that here? Ever played other zombie games? 

Fine, make it mutated as f**k, unresembling a human, disfigured I don't care. Kinda humanoid-like. Lorewise, blame it on the increased metabolism of kids, resulted in more mutations. Could even be made into a newspaper, like we have littered on the floor: "deadly virus mutates children the fastest"

Would THAT be ok to kill or are we still too sensitive?

...god damn...from getting bonuses for artistic impression for running over whole families in Carmageddon, we came to this. Funny how I've never felt the urge to drive over real life pedestrians, from playing that game.

Edited by DDDX (see edit history)

It doesn't matter what you or I think about child zombies. A moderator has already confirmed several times that the Fun Pimps don't want that in the game, so any discussion is moot anyway. Do you really think you're the first to ask? The topic has already been discussed several times.

But you are lucky. The game can be easily modified so that it is easy to add new models yourself. As far as I know there are even mods that add children zombies.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

5 hours ago, DDDX said:

As for children...come on! I can set mutant crawling shrieking BABIES on fire, in The forest, i can (and absolutely must) kill a passive, non attacking, crying shrieking zombie child in Dying light (cause it invites tons of zombies)...to name a few, but god forbid we had something like that here? Ever played other zombie games? 

Fine, make it mutated as f**k, unresembling a human, disfigured I don't care. Kinda humanoid-like. Lorewise, blame it on the increased metabolism of kids, resulted in more mutations. Could even be made into a newspaper, like we have littered on the floor: "deadly virus mutates children the fastest"

Would THAT be ok to kill or are we still too sensitive?

...god damn...from getting bonuses for artistic impression for running over whole families in Carmageddon, we came to this. Funny how I've never felt the urge to drive over real life pedestrians, from playing that game.

People have different opinions about this and there isn't anything wrong with that.  TFP stated they aren't going to add them, so being upset over it won't get you anywhere.  The question really is... why is it so important to you?  I don't see any value in adding that.  There are many different types of zombies that could be added if they wanted to add more zombies without going that route, so why is it so important?

2 reasons.

Variety is the spice of life.

If a city is infested with zombies, if hordes of them come in swarms...then it's strange that there aren't those among them that made 20% of the population.

Second reason is possibilities. We don't need just another zombie. Kids could be much faster + smaller = harder to spot and hit.  Dying light for example made them non-combattants but instead they spawned (attracted) swarms of grown-ups (result? You were terrified of a small zombie that lacked the ability to even attack you).

Consider the possibilities that a zombie kid could act as an advanced "Screamer" type - turns all zombies around it into ferals if allowed to scream.  Or they could be silent and faster and give you a guaranteed 5% infection with every hit. Or they could be so mutated that they don't even hit you,but if they come within your range they blow up like zombie cops...

Each of these would make you change the way you play around them. I feel like there's more room for something small & nasty (though zombie dogs fit that role well).

We can go "Bigger is better", but...challenges can come in small packages if they're made smart.

Yet at the same time, any zombie or zombie animal can be made to do the exact same thing without any controversy.  It really doesn't matter if other games do it.  TFP has stated that they will not.  There is always the option of a mod if you really want that.

I am someone who hates the politically correct nonsense and how everyone takes the smallest thing personally these days but this is not really the same thing.  I see no value in adding them to the game.  Anything you might gain can easily be gained from other zombies.  If they were in the game, sure, I'd still play the game and would fight them.  But they aren't, and I think that is a good choice.

Any animal or zombie can be made into looking like we haven't skipped 20% of the entire population when making zombie models?

This is called cherrypicking other's arguments to make your own seem stronger, while it's not.  But by all means, feel free to repeat for the 3 rd time yours, it's really gonna be constructive.

Fun fact (also spoiler), the final boss in The forest is a little girl, 10 y.o.max. mutates into a big monster. Haven't seen any torches and pitchforks burning that studio down.

And maybe when the lore comes out, it will be revealed that corpses can't be reanimated unless their brain has reached a certain level of development, so children and the mentally disabled can't turn into zombies. Or maybe child zombies are physically much weaker and have been killed off in the time since the zombie apocalypse started. Or maybe becoming a zombie increases your hunger because it greatly increases your metabolism and how much you need to eat in order to power the virus and your reanimated body.... being smaller and weaker, the child zombies were unable to meet the needs of the virus and hence the virus cannibalized the child zombies' bodies until they died again.

The fun Pimps can certainly create their own lore to explain why there are no child zombies. There are countries where games that allow children being killed (even if they are zombie children) are banned. Each game development studio gets to weigh for themselves how much those markets mean to them as well as their own personal values when determining whether their will be killable child antagonists.

Luckily, TFP have made the game very moddable, so if killing children in zombie form is super important to you, you can add them in.

4 hours ago, DDDX said:

Any animal or zombie can be made into looking like we haven't skipped 20% of the entire population when making zombie models?

This is called cherrypicking other's arguments to make your own seem stronger, while it's not.  But by all means, feel free to repeat for the 3 rd time yours, it's really gonna be constructive.

Fun fact (also spoiler), the final boss in The forest is a little girl, 10 y.o.max. mutates into a big monster. Haven't seen any torches and pitchforks burning that studio down.

You are missing the point so hard it has to hurt.  TFP aren't worried about a woke mob being upset over the game.  There are literal governments that won't allow a game to be released in their country if it has children(in any form) being harmed.  This was already explained to you previously.  TFP don't want to lose out on potential sales in those countries.

If you are so desperate for child zombies, mod the game.

3 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

If you are so desperate for child zombies, mod the game.

Basically this. Don't care what your reasons are. Don't give a rats ass what other games, TV shows, or movies have them. 

TFP has said vehemently no. End of discussion.

You have seven other topics to talk about. 

10 hours ago, DDDX said:

This game represents less than 1% of the population already.  Adding child zombies isn't going to cover 20% of the population.  Besides which, having one that is a specific age doesn't cover all the other ages anyhow, so you can't even call it 20% just from that reason alone.  We have only a handful of different zombies.  They don't represent every race or every type of person - shape, size, etc. - or every profession and so on.  And then there are all the combinations of all of that.  For example, we have a cop but he's fat and male.  Where are the female cops or skinny cops?  Where are cops that are other races?  There is already so much of the population missing that trying to use that as a reason to add them is pointless.  You may not like it but adding any other type of zombie with the features you're wanting can be done and it will still fill in gaps in the missing population.

If you don't like people disagreeing with you, you should probably avoid forums.  The simple fact, whether you want to hear it or not, is that TFP will not add them.  The end.  If you want them, you can use a mod.  Again, it makes absolutely no difference what other games do.  TFP has made their choice and made it very clear.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

There are literal governments that won't allow a game to be released in their country if it has children(in any form) being harmed.  

Name one. I am having a really hard time remembering a zombie game that DOESN'T have kid zombies in it. As stated, there are even mutant BABIES in The forest. Last time I checked the Steam reviews were, what, "Overwhelmingly positive"? If other games haven't seen that as a problem, why should this one?

But we are repeating ourselves here. Let's agree to disagree & move on.

20 hours ago, DDDX said:

Second reason is possibilities. We don't need just another zombie. Kids could be much faster + smaller = harder to spot and hit.

You don't need a child zombie for this to happen, take the crawler and the spider.  Both are harder to hit based on how they behave, yet neither are kids.

You can mod the smaller zombies already in the game to be faster to fill this role.  You can even shrink the zombie models to make them smaller.