Why don’t certain vanilla pois spawn in random gen

I’m thinking specifically House Old Ranch 02. I have never gotten this house in any random gen world in alpha 20, no matter how big the world/ towns/ cities are. I have tried editing the xml for the poi to make it spawn in different townships or whatever but it doesn’t make a difference. Am I just unlucky or do certain poi’s like this just not spawn anymore? I swear I have generated like over 30 worlds in alpha 20 and not once have I seen this house even when searching for it in the poi look up menu (If you’re not familiar with this house this is what it looks like) 5C4502F8-231D-4C29-A834-B9CE24E59C84.thumb.png.70628dffea9b9c2d8f92bb9772d079c9.pngBAD52B88-C12A-4EFE-BC72-C77AF5F5B34E.thumb.png.efcf84ed51854d718bcfa6d4815cb083.png

12 hours ago, ProlificPoultry said:

House Old Ranch 02. I have never gotten this house in any random gen world in alpha 20, no matter how big the world/ towns/ cities are. I have tried editing the xml for the poi to make it spawn in different townships or whatever but it doesn’t make a difference.

Interesting. From it's XML file...

<property name="Tags" value="rural"/>
<property name="PrefabSize" value="65, 21, 59"/>

The size is non-standard, so change the Tags to wilderness and it could get placed there. That's the easiest change.

With more work, you could place it in a settlement. If you resize the POI to be 60,21,60 (using the Prefab Editor to add/remove blocks), and then add "residential" to the Tags, then it could get placed there, though there aren't a lot of available 60x60 POI markers in just Vanilla Tiles. Still, I would expect it to get placed.

Summary:

1. Change Tags to wilderness, and/or
  2. Edit the POI to be 60x60 and make the Tags "residential,rural,wilderness".

Something I forgot is if you tag it for wilderness, it won't have a RoadExit part, so if it places I don't think it would get a road leading to it. I don't think the lack of a RoadExit would keep it from getting placed.

It has a driveway for rural placement and there's room to add/trim the property to fit a 60x60 footprint.

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Interesting. From it's XML file...

<property name="Tags" value="rural"/>
<property name="PrefabSize" value="65, 21, 59"/>

The size is non-standard, so change the Tags to wilderness and it could get placed there. That's the easiest change.

With more work, you could place it in a settlement. If you resize the POI to be 60,21,60 (using the Prefab Editor to add/remove blocks), and then add "residential" to the Tags, then it could get placed there, though there aren't a lot of available 60x60 POI markers in just Vanilla Tiles. Still, I would expect it to get placed.

Summary:

1. Change Tags to wilderness, and/or
  2. Edit the POI to be 60x60 and make the Tags "residential,rural,wilderness".

Thank you so much! I’m going to try both these things when I get home! So what I would do, just to clarify, is go into the prefab editor, trim the sides of the lawn to make it 60x60 and go into the xmls to add “residential, rural, wilderness” to the propert values yeah? But if I make it 60x60 would I have to edit the size in the xmls too?

7 hours ago, ProlificPoultry said:

Thank you so much! I’m going to try both these things when I get home! So what I would do, just to clarify, is go into the prefab editor, trim the sides of the lawn to make it 60x60 and go into the xmls to add “residential, rural, wilderness” to the propert values yeah? But if I make it 60x60 would I have to edit the size in the xmls too?

If you resize it in the Prefab Editor, it will update the XML when you save.

You can also use the Prefab Editor to set the Tags. It's a button on Menu 3, IIRC.

Residential POIs usually have a "driveway" part, which that POI has for "rural", but not for residential. If you don't add a driveway part for the residential district I'm pretty sure it will get placed on a residential lot, but you won't have a curb cut.

It isn't a lot of work to make this POI functional, though I think @BFT2020 is probably right in that TFP just hasn't updated it, so you might find it isn't taking advantage of "newer" blocks that came with A20.

If you get stuck, hit me up on Discord Sat/Sun. I could show you how to add a RoadExit Part for wilderness and a driveway Part for residential if you wanted.

4 hours ago, zztong said:

If you resize it in the Prefab Editor, it will update the XML when you save.

You can also use the Prefab Editor to set the Tags. It's a button on Menu 3, IIRC.

Residential POIs usually have a "driveway" part, which that POI has for "rural", but not for residential. If you don't add a driveway part for the residential district I'm pretty sure it will get placed on a residential lot, but you won't have a curb cut.

It isn't a lot of work to make this POI functional, though I think @BFT2020 is probably right in that TFP just hasn't updated it, so you might find it isn't taking advantage of "newer" blocks that came with A20.

If you get stuck, hit me up on Discord Sat/Sun. I could show you how to add a RoadExit Part for wilderness and a driveway Part for residential if you wanted.

I really appreciate your help! Before I saw this message I did what you said, went into the xml’s actually changed the values to 60,21,60 then added wilderness and residential to the tags, then I went into the prefab editor and trimmed a bit off each side of the lawn to make it 60x60, saved it, then generated a new world and voilà! House_Old_Ranch_02 is in my world! C’est magnifique! Really thank you, I’m so happy I can have my favorite house back in my game, and now I’ll see if I can add the other missing houses too! : D

9 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Also remember that they haven't updated all POIs yet.  That might be one that is slated for an update but not scheduled for A20 so it wasn't done at the time.

This.  Will check this particular one when I get a chance but think the majority of sidelined POIs have been updated for A21.

9 hours ago, ProlificPoultry said:

I really appreciate your help! Before I saw this message I did what you said, went into the xml’s actually changed the values to 60,21,60 then added wilderness and residential to the tags, then I went into the prefab editor and trimmed a bit off each side of the lawn to make it 60x60, saved it, then generated a new world and voilà! House_Old_Ranch_02 is in my world! C’est magnifique! Really thank you, I’m so happy I can have my favorite house back in my game, and now I’ll see if I can add the other missing houses too! : D

I'm glad it got placed in the world.

Somebody reminded me, and I should have remembered, there aren't any 60x60 residential POI markers on the Vanilla tiles, but there are on Tiles that come with some POI modlets. Unless you're adding in one of those sources, you should only see your POI land in rural and wilderness.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

I'm glad it got placed in the world.

Somebody reminded me, and I should have remembered, there aren't any 60x60 residential POI markers on the Vanilla tiles, but there are on Tiles that come with some POI modlets. Unless you're adding in one of those sources, you should only see your POI land in rural and wilderness.

So I only went into a world for a second, opened the poi teleporter to make sure that it was in the world and like about 20 are in my 8k world, and then I teleported to one and it got placed in a city in the wasteland. There wasn’t any problems with how it was placed and I think it got put into the rural part of the city like on the outskirts. But I would very much like to have this poi in as many sensible areas as possible (as well as other missing houses) so what would be a good size for it to spawn in residential areas? And I did have the compopack installed but I removed the mod from my game because I found myself missing the vanilla pois. I thought there might have been a way to add it to the compopack by putting it in one of the folders marked for residential poi’s but I didn’t want all the craziness that comes with the compopack 

55 minutes ago, ProlificPoultry said:

So I only went into a world for a second, opened the poi teleporter to make sure that it was in the world and like about 20 are in my 8k world, and then I teleported to one and it got placed in a city in the wasteland. There wasn’t any problems with how it was placed and I think it got put into the rural part of the city like on the outskirts. But I would very much like to have this poi in as many sensible areas as possible (as well as other missing houses) so what would be a good size for it to spawn in residential areas? And I did have the compopack installed but I removed the mod from my game because I found myself missing the vanilla pois. I thought there might have been a way to add it to the compopack by putting it in one of the folders marked for residential poi’s but I didn’t want all the craziness that comes with the compopack 

42x42 is residential poi sizes. 

Only size that  is there. 

Rural is more varied sizes.

As bft and lazman mentioned some vanilla pois were not included or tagged as they be going thru a make over poi improvement when the level designers get to them.

It won't matter where you put a poi. If it hasn't got a tag and a spot to spawn ie: a 60x60 it won't spawn in that district . 

Driveways also tidy a ppi meeting the road better to

23 hours ago, ProlificPoultry said:

But I would very much like to have this poi in as many sensible areas as possible (as well as other missing houses) so what would be a good size for it to spawn in residential areas?

Like Stallion says, Vanilla Tiles only have places (POI Markers) for 42x42 POIs and those Tiles make assumptions about fences surrounding the POIs. The size of your favorite POI is likely why TFP didn't get it into A20. (Try trimming it to 42x42 and you're going to throw away part of the house.)

Another option available to you is to make a custom Tile for the Residential district that has a 60x60 marker on it. Tiles are made in the same manner as POIs, but with a few extra quirks. They also tend to need lots of filler content to be something other than a big empty field.

If you had my modlet (ZZTong-Prefabs) installed (version 012 or later) you would get two new Residential Tiles that have a 60x60 place: rwg_tile_residential_corner_zztong_01 and rwg_tile_residential_intersection_zztong_01.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)