Are listed vehicle speeds not accurate?

Tounces

I finally got around to making a Gyrocopter in A20, and noticed it's listed as 45m/s speed, where as the Motorcycle is listed as 27m/s speed.    I do have 2 mods in the Gyrocopter - Fuel Saver and Extra Fuel tank, but these don't mention anything about impacting speed.

But the thing is, The Gyrocopter is VERY noticeably slower than the Motorcycle.     I can only really test on the ground as a basis of comparison, so maybe it goes faster in the air(though that would not make sense), but on the ground where as it should have double the speed, it seems to be more like half.   In fact, I'm reasonably sure I run faster than it.  

I tested several vehicles, I believe in A20, because I was interested in modding their speeds. And assuming 1 voxel = 1 meter, the listed speeds looked to be accurate.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's significant added drag, intentional or not, when the gyrocopter's little wheels are rolling along the ground. Or perhaps you're angling it down slightly so it doesn't lift off the ground, and thus some of the thrust is wasted pushing down instead of forwards.

15 hours ago, Rotor said:

I think with the Gyro it was described as a "perception" issue.

I have been riding the motorcycle and if I put my character higher so I am looking more down on the bike it seems I am going slower than if I bring my character down closer to the ground.

Though I am going the same speed being closer to the ground it "appears" as if I am going faster so I think you may be right.

16 hours ago, Tounces said:

But the thing is, The Gyrocopter is VERY noticeably slower than the Motorcycle.     I can only really test on the ground as a basis of comparison, so maybe it goes faster in the air(though that would not make sense)

A vehicle designed to fly goes slower on the ground vs. the air? Not sure why this doesn't make sense to you. It's not propelled by the wheels, and rolling them on the ground only creates friction. That and dealing with undulating surfaces would surely slow the vehicle down. Now I hardly doubt 7DTD is calculating surface when determining ground speed, but it definitely accounts for grade. Just try driving up a hill and you'll notice the vehicle goes slower. It also wouldn't surprise me if the gyro is specifically coded to cap at a certain speed when on the ground.

Also as others have mentioned, when you're in the air, looking at the ground to try and perceive how fast you are going doesn't work. Things appear to move slower the further they are away from you.

18 hours ago, Tounces said:

I can only really test on the ground as a basis of comparison, so maybe it goes faster in the air

Use a stopwatch and time how fast it takes a gyro to fly to a point 1km away and then how long it takes to drive a motorcycle the same distance. You don't have to drive the gyro on the ground to compare the speeds unless you always drive the gyro on the ground.

23 hours ago, Gamida said:

I have been riding the motorcycle and if I put my character higher so I am looking more down on the bike it seems I am going slower than if I bring my character down closer to the ground.

Though I am going the same speed being closer to the ground it "appears" as if I am going faster so I think you may be right.

This effect is true in vehicles in the real world as well.  Riding in a big truck going 70 MPH feels very different from a motorcycle at 70 MPH.  Or whatever KPH that translates to.