Questions about mining

NekoPawtato

Is it possible to completely mine out an area such that all you have left is stone (no adjacent minerals or sand?) I know for example if I dig out a lead node I have been able to dig up all the lead there and have to start a new mine somewhere else, but usually while im digging for lead ill find adjacent minerals like iron or nitrate and one mineral leads to another and seems never ending? I have yet to completely mine out an entire area to the point where all that's left is only stone, because I keep finding more/different adjacent minerals.

Also how come sometimes when rocks/minerals/sand partly collapses, sometimes it drops the material as a bag and sometimes it doesnt? Does it have to be full health to drop a bag?

The bag dropping versus it going poof is just a random thing as far as I understand it.  Maybe someday they will have a perk to affect the chance of a bag dropping.

As for never ending chains of mineral/ore deposits... yeah that pretty much sums it up.  It will depend on the biome of the mine to some degree.  I suspect that well before release they will be tweaking the frequency, orientation, and density of mines.  I think the general feeling is that too many mines is a far better thing than too few.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

As for never ending chains of mineral/ore deposits... yeah that pretty much sums it up. 

I guess I should stop trying to be so OCD then about fully exploring my mine before digging too far down lol... so far most of my mines are still just a couple blocks below the surface because I wanted the mine to be all level and was planning to dig layer by layer once I explored the entire mine. I might just have to dig down in chunks then

13 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

Is it possible to completely mine out an area such that all you have left is stone (no adjacent minerals or sand?)

Yes it is possible. There is a command that will show deposits underground (tho I cannot recall it) and that would illustrate this easily. Deposits are blobs that sometimes connect to other blobs but they do have edges. I run into it often myself. I mine at bedrock and mine out in straight walls untill the walls no longer show a deposit so every single deposit I find I mine til gone horizontally. (I only mine as tall as I can reach from the bedrock looking straight up)

22 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Yes it is possible. There is a command that will show deposits underground (tho I cannot recall it) and that would illustrate this easily. Deposits are blobs that sometimes connect to other blobs but they do have edges. I run into it often myself. I mine at bedrock and mine out in straight walls untill the walls no longer show a deposit so every single deposit I find I mine til gone horizontally. (I only mine as tall as I can reach from the bedrock looking straight up)

I googled around, someone mentioned it was a dev program(?) couldn't find anything about an actual command

It was also mentioned you can simply uncomment out the ore visualisation section in blocks.xml, but that gives me a bunch of errors when I try to load up my save and my game would not get past the loading page, so I'm not really sure if that even works anymore

12 minutes ago, Maharin said:

If you mined out the entire bottom layer of blocks so that none of the map touched bedrock would the whole world collapse?

Get to work, let us know how it works out  😁

Oh and I recommend the bottom two layers of blocks so you don't have to crouch the entire time  😉

19 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

I googled around, someone mentioned it was a dev program(?) couldn't find anything about an actual command

It was also mentioned you can simply uncomment out the ore visualisation section in blocks.xml, but that gives me a bunch of errors when I try to load up my save and my game would not get past the loading page, so I'm not really sure if that even works anymore

There was a mod that could show an xray of ores underground. I think you could pick and choose which ones to show. May not have been updates so don't know if would work now.