This game needs better terrain smoothing tools

I hate the way ground blocks attach to structure blocks. There's this huge fugly gap that can't be filled, at least I haven't been able to find a way to make smooth transitions. And yet the open world is full of such smooth transitions. Look at the way asphalt streets butt up against sidewalks. Have you tried creating that yourself? Asphalt works like dirt or topsoil by piling on in peaks that wind up leaving gaps when placed next to structure blocks. 

Valheim has smoothing tools that work so much better. They're not perfect, but they allow you to create *much* better looking terrain than 7DTD. 

Or am I missing some game mechanic for controlling this? Please say yes and tell me how, that would truly make my day. 

Thanks for any insights or suggestions.

2 hours ago, Apocalyptical Survivor said:

Look at the way asphalt streets butt up against sidewalks.

There's couple versions of that, but the sidewalk blocks are mostly plates on top of the terrain block.

The places where a terrain attaches to a block-to-the-side "properly" are manually forced when creating a POI. If you break such a spot, you can't rebuild it, the mechanics will leave the familiar gap there.

Sheets are the easiest solution, but often you can also build around it if you give it a bit of thought. For example, if it's a wall, you can make it thicker above the gap; or just "move" it at that point. Something like half-plates might cover the gap with a different look; depending on the spot of course.

36 minutes ago, Apocalyptical Survivor said:

Nothing with the word "sheet" comes up in my Forge or Workbench menu.

It's a block shape.. equip a wood frame, long press "reload", pick shapes from the top. Pick a section for "all" from the left side categories menu and enter "sheet" to the search box.

44 minutes ago, Apocalyptical Survivor said:

I don't get any results when I search for "sheet". In the Wiki, I get a reference to Iron Trussing Sheets, is that what you're describing? Nothing with the word "sheet" comes up in my Forge or Workbench menu. Does it go by some other name?

No @%$#!

In High School I had an instructor whose Engllish pronunciation was well, different.  To him, 'Sheet' and '$h1t' were the same. OMG we laughed.

But to address your issue, I place a a flat plate over the ground transition. Or a thin ramp wedge, depending what I want it to look like.  That 'feature' of the gap not matching the ground we've learned to live with. Be creative in your attempt to hide it. 

Hope that helps. But my game is in English and I have no idea how it has been translated to another language. 

Edited by Melange (see edit history)