My Prefab Builder Software. Release it or Not?

AussieWombat

Yes, of course! Now, with that said, you should also put a strongly worded disclaimer that you won't support it and that is provided as-is and was originally designed for yourself, not for public consumption, etc etc. Unless you want to spend more development time on making it user friendly than you did on the actual functionality... :) But by all means, it would be nice for those of us who don't mind figuring it out on our own. Looks like a very handy tool indeed.

@ Jaricho.

Jayzenfreeze is correct. Prefabs are the buildings added into the map when you START a new game. After that, the chunk system takes over. Prefabs enable the map designer to quickly fill the map with buildings or objects.

My program works like a font editor. It allows the placement of the building blocks. You select the block, sub block and orientation then insert into grid. You work on each layer, building up as you go. Each block that is green has a block set. Once you finish, or before for testing purposes, you select build from the files menu and create the prefab and save it in the prefabs folder. You then have to modify the prefabs.xml file in the map folder to add your prefab into the world. In the game you start a new game of your map and the prefab is inserted at the coordinates. If you place it near a particular spawn point and you spawn somewhere else, then use the map to choose the desired spawn point and commit suicide to spawn near your prefab.

AussieWombat

PS. Link following later..

Mmmm, sounds good, but i will wait for TFP to make this possible, imo people trying to change/mod alpha is good, but pointless!

TFP haven't changed the prefab system, since Alpha 1, only added to it. IMHO, I don't expect they will. I of course could be wrong and you may be right , but we will see.

Here is the editor

a link to 7DaysToDiePrefabBuilder.zip

I don't know whether to thank you Crow or just think of you in the worst way possible. Anyway, for those that did download the program from the link, good luck. For those that haven't had the chance , Bad luck. The link is down for now..

Seems like a gutterball move tossing this up in flagrant violation of the EULA. Oh, please take down that link and replace it with a rapidshare/mega.co.nz link instead - bowling ain't my thing and your javascript is shoddy at best.

Oh, and please, think of the children?

Extract from the EULA....

USER CREATED CONTENT: The Software may allow you to create content, including but not limited to a gameplay map, screenshot or a video of your game play. In exchange for use of the Software, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Software give rise to any copyright interest, you hereby grant Licensor an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use your contributions in any way and for any purpose in connection with the Software and related goods and services, including the rights to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions without any further notice or compensation to you of any kind for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions.

[end of extract]

To me , this says anything in the worlds\map\ folder is fair game. This includes the prefabs.xml, entities_spawner.xml and entities.xml files. Now , if I have to create a prefab.tts file to use in this file, then so be it. If the fun pimps want to use any of my prefabs, then so be it. The EULA says they have the rights to them.

Its not like I am hacking the game.exe, to add an aimbot or something.

I have PM both lead and madmole to clarify whether I can do, what I am doing, and neither have replied.( Been over 5 days)

As for your Critique of my website, and javascript writing ability . So what, everyone has a right to their opinion, but some of us were taught, that if you didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. As a matter of fact, I don't really care ,WHAT your thing is, but we must have something in common, because we are playing the same game. Nuff said. Thanks for the info, I will do nothing to change it.

If my javascript is shoddy , maybe my programming is too, But at least I tried. If you do , however , use any of my prefabs in YOUR maps, then feel free to credit me, for them.

AussieWombat

I'm a professional web developer. If you're self taught, then good on you. You were better than me when I first started out.

I was more irked by the fact that a program like that does technically violate the EULA - and it was on your "home" account, leaving your privacy open to the public. Lots of similar programs have been taken off the forum for the same reasons. Long story short, I was more doing you a favor in pointing out that you had put your private life out in the spotlight, by using a sarcastic manner to highlight this. If I caused you any grief, I apologize.

I think you misread the EULA - the "software" in question means 7 Days To Die, and the "create content, including but not limited to a gameplay map" means a map you created in game with in game tools (creative mode/up-and-coming world editor), not third party programs (like yours).

tl;dr - glad you took down the link - if you do want to risk it, feel free to upload again, but to a free file sharing site like rapidshare or a similar service. Plus provide a virus scan.

@ phunkninja

I did not take it personally, as I did say 'nothing will change'. Thanks for the tips.

I , personally didn't put up the link. I placed that file there to PM it to a person ( not Crow) for them to evaluate. I will, if allowed , put a link back up when I am ready to do so . Not when CROW thinks he should..

I will however make an effort to get in touch with someone from the fun pimps staff to clarify, if I can still do what I am trying to do.

Whether the program is in alpha, beta, or a finished game, the mod software has to start somewhere. It doesn't use any graphics from the game, only the same names as the blocks in the creative mode and has the ability to read the existing prefab files.

@ phunkninja

I did not take it personally, as I did say 'nothing will change'. Thanks for the tips.

I , personally didn't put up the link. I placed that file there to PM it to a person ( not Crow) for them to evaluate. I will, if allowed , put a link back up when I am ready to do so . Not when CROW thinks he should..

I will however make an effort to get in touch with someone from the fun pimps staff to clarify, if I can still do what I am trying to do.

Whether the program is in alpha, beta, or a finished game, the mod software has to start somewhere. It doesn't use any graphics from the game, only the same names as the blocks in the creative mode and has the ability to read the existing prefab files.

Good idea man - email [email protected] and ask if you can promote your tool on the forums. As long as it doesn't change any existing code to the game, and your tool doesn't have any PayPal "donate" options in it - you should be fine.

Extract from the EULA....

USER CREATED CONTENT: The Software may allow you to create content, including but not limited to a gameplay map, screenshot or a video of your game play. In exchange for use of the Software, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Software give rise to any copyright interest, you hereby grant Licensor an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use your contributions in any way and for any purpose in connection with the Software and related goods and services, including the rights to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions without any further notice or compensation to you of any kind for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions.

[end of extract]

To me , this says anything in the worlds\map\ folder is fair game.

Yes, it seems that way to me, too.

/LICENSE CONDITIONS.

You agree not to:

Commercially exploit the Software;

Distribute, lease, license, sell, rent or otherwise transfer or assign the Software, or any copies of the Software, without the express prior written consent of Licensor or as set forth in this Agreement;

Make a copy of the Software or any part thereof (other than as set forth herein);

Making a copy of this Software available on a network for use or download by multiple users;

Except as otherwise specifically provided by the Software or this Agreement, use or install the Software (or permit others to do same) on a network, for on-line use, or on more than one computer or gaming unit at the same time;

Copy the Software onto a hard drive or other storage device in order to bypass the requirement to run the Software from the included CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (this prohibition does not apply to copies in whole or in part that may be made by the Software itself during installation in order to run more efficiently);

use or copy the Software at a computer gaming center or any other location-based site; provided, that Licensor may offer you a separate site license agreement to make the Software available for commercial use;.

Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, prepare derivative works based on or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part;

Remove or modify any proprietary notices, marks or labels contained on or within the Software; and

transport, export or re-export (directly or indirectly) into any country forbidden to receive such Software by any U.S. export laws or accompanying regulations or otherwise violate such laws or regulations, that may be amended from time to time.

The section you quote has to do with INGAME tools.

@DocHussey

Will you have the ability to save prefabs from ingame?

Nowhere in any of my posts, did I say there would be any fee for usage. It was intended, and always will be given away for free. It will not reach this stage until clarification or approval from the fun pimps. More prefabs, means more diversity in map building. If some of that load is taken up by enthusiasts , then TFP can develop more.

AussieWombat

I'll assume you're talking about the response some above me in regards to fees, as I said or related nothing regarding fees.

I do not have specifics in regards to what the world editing software will include. I'm going to ASSUME that TFP, since they are going for a prefab-style layout to the game, will have something that allows the creation of prefab structures/areas/etc and the ability to save/export said files for consumption of others. Since we are looking in the future at randomly generated, progressively spawned worlds, I would expect that prefabs may get an over haul in the future in regards to what biome they should occur in, how rare they are, etc.

In saying this, the prefab files would likely become obsolete, unless you made some way to import them in the new, upcoming format. As of now, since the game is still in its infancy, things are gonna change often and drastically, so working with modification now is just setting yourself up for annoyance at any point the code that you're hooking to changes/updates etc. This is part of the reason that they are discouraging modification right now. The other big part stems from issues that may arise from altered files throwing errors that the Pimps and QA dept would waste time trying to fix. The biggest example of this was with Sarcen's server client, which threw some strange errors with outdated DirectX versions among other things. We tried and could not reproduce the issue until they mentioned they were running the modified client and threw us a DXDiag. Wasted time means less real bugfixing and content improvement.

I hope this explains things clearly. I'm not trying to be a ♥♥♥♥, but I know the hassles involved with people that aren't the brightest using modified files and not realizing what's making things go wrong.

Thank you for your response.

The remarks about the software being free, was in part, an answer to previous posts and some of the clauses in the EULA.

It would be nice if Lead and or madmole had replied to my PM. I asked them if they wanted me to continue or not.

Obviously, they changed the chunk system for a region system, and prefabs may change as well. On the other hand, some things are always built the simplest way, when first built, and may not change at all. Since Alpha 1 TFP have added around 40 new (block/sub block)'s and even renamed a few, but the method stays the same.

I still await a reply to my PM from Lead and /or Madmole.

AussieWombat

Still no reply, so I guess that means they don't care. I'm sure that if they had an opinion, they would have PM me already. I will endeavour to put up the link again. And , CROW, it will not be the same as before.. I will try and make a video of 'How to use'. Any suggestions on good capture software for win7x64 windows environment...

AussieWombat

Archived