My Prefab Builder Software. Release it or Not?

AussieWombat

@ JayzenFreeze

The X, Y And Z coordinates are reported back to the user, when they select the Tools/coordinate Reader menu Item. The Tool describes which file you need to direct the program too, and select. It then tells you the coordinates in a dialog box. The information , at this stage is not in the main program, only the tool.

Aussie Wombat

If you feel like sending me a list of ideas you would like added, then do so, but as I said in the post when released..

Any suggestions may or may not be added... ie depends on what the changes are.. Remember I made it for me, and just decided to release for everyone...

I don't rate myself as a great programmer, just someone who wanted to add prefabs, and it is only written in Just Basic, but I will try and add them...

I dare say , that once The Fun Pimps implement the Create World section of the game, then this program will become obsolete. One would only hope you will be able to export your created buildings as prefabs for inclusion in another map.

AussieWombat

Hey Aussie!

Neat program, but I would like to suggest one feature. A colorable palette! What I mean by that is that, generally a builder is only using maybe a dozen or so materials, so allowing the user to assign colors to the blocks they are using (so you don't end up with a huge swath of green) would be neat!

Thanks for the program, keep it up! :)

Looking at the RangerStation prefab. It looks like you just place a wall safe next to the wall, and the game inserts it for you. ( correct orientation though)

As for the trash decals, Not sure. They mainly seems to be outside. Tried putting them on gravel, etc in a prefab, but just gets deposited above the floor. Put them in the floor, but texture from surrounding blocks does not come through. Just a beige block.. Even crafting won't do it....

trash bags etc can be placed in prefabs like normal..

I dare say , that once The Fun Pimps implement the Create World section of the game, then this program will become obsolete. One would only hope you will be able to export your created buildings as prefabs for inclusion in another map.

Not so quickly. Fun Pimps has set up the in-game build system for more fun with friends and to work with the restrains of the game. Like zombies, gravity system, 64 block limit(unless you cheat) and the auger levelling of hills and mountains. lets face it this can take a long time. If you are making pre-fabs for custom maps or existing maps this tool can speed up pre-fabs building, testing and if need be change to blocks or groups of "block types". This program can be geared for the mapper and modders.

For example I am working on a school.

To set up the site I have to remove all of the tree's and mountain. That will take most of the week if not more. And if you what to swap out one group of blacks for another, Well you get the point.

As we all have experienced placing a block in the wrong spot or finishing a build and walking across a bad spot can turn your hole building into a pile of rubble. I have experienced this with the train station. After building it I walk around on the second floor and fell throw the floor and watch the hole train station turned into rubble.:(

But before you get to deep in to it check with Fun Pimps guys. See if it will work when they implement the smooth terrain in alpha 7 since this maybe all a mute point.

1. as LegsVix said. It you can use "If Fun Pimp dose not have an objection" I would go with the block images from the game. If not we do need a way to tell what is what in the program.

2. The box for the file name and dir is small

3. Do to the fix size of the menus and build area dose cause problems if you have the text and icons set to large. (To many visits to those naughty site I guess)

Tools

1. The ability to add/remove columns, rows and layers.

2. Fill layer and/or to block.

3. Change a type of block for another and/or its properties like direction and damage.

4. A button to allow you to place block with the mouse.

5. mouse pan

I was going to suggest using 3D isometric view to be used as the main editing window But unless this work after the smooth terrain is implemented it maybe a mute point at this time to suggest it.

See what you can do.:)

If you are making pre-fabs for custom maps or existing maps this tool can speed up pre-fabs building, testing and if need be change to blocks or groups of "block types". This program can be geared for the mapper and modders.

It was just something I wrote for myself to use.

1. as LegsVix said. It you can use "If Fun Pimp dose not have an objection" I would go with the block images from the game. If not we do need a way to tell what is what in the program.

I think LegsVix asked for the ability to set user colours for different blocks, not block images.

2. The box for the file name and dir is small

3. Do to the fix size of the menus and build area dose cause problems if you have the text and icons set to large. (To many visits to those naughty site I guess)

Tools

1. The ability to add/remove columns, rows and layers.

2. Fill layer and/or to block.

3. Change a type of block for another and/or its properties like direction and damage.

4. A button to allow you to place block with the mouse.

5. mouse pan

I was going to suggest using 3D isometric view to be used as the main editing window But unless this work after the smooth terrain is implemented it maybe a mute point at this time to suggest it.

See what you can do.:)

I have changed :

1: The text box that shows the directory path and file name is now bigger, and the '3d Isometric button has been moved to the right slightly.

2: I have set each block to have it's own colour. When drawn in the editor window, each block type will be drawn with a unique colour. The code was written , so it was easy to add the bitmaps, of the blocks, if The Fun Pimps allow, which I doubt, as they haven't replied to my previous emails, Rick is still reviewing the program, and I have updated it 3 times since then.

The 3d Isometric mode uses the same colours. I was thinking of making the 3d View default to only the layer you are on in the editor, with the option to change to multi-layer.

Tools:

I will see if I can implement these, but don't really know what you mean by #5

As for 3d Isometric as the main editor window. I started out that way, then changed it, because it was too hard then, but may rethink it, maybe. I think smooth terrain will be exactly that, smooth terrain, then add the prefabs, then player stuff. There would have to be a distinction between terrain and normal blocks.

Haven't uploaded the changed program yet, but will do later. Just got home from work and am tired. 12 am to 8 am.

Morning all, and Goodnight..

AussieWombat

5. mouse pan; So you can move the work area with the mouse instead of the scroll bars. it's a low priority but it would make it easier with large pre-fabs.

Color is fine.

I will be out for a week so this is my last post for the time being and just as alpha 6 is near release. :(

Yes , they moved the coordinate positions in the file for alpha 6. I have added the code to rectify the problem.

I have also added the 38 extra blocks for Alpha 6.

I changed the mouse buttons as well, Middle Mouse now reports block data, right button, now adds data to combo box's, while left button , adds combo box's data into clicked block of design pane.

Added the colour's for each block .

I was in the process of adding more menu item's, so the Block Tools menu items do nothing for now.

Will Upload soon..

[edit]

Here is the 7D2DPrefabBuilder Alpha 6 Full Archive

Here is the 7D2DPrefabBuilder Alpha 6 TKN File archive for those that have already downloaded the main archive. Just extract the archive to the Prefab Builder folder.

[/edit]

[edit2] The tkn archive should replace two files. The 7DaysToDiePrefabBuilder.tkn, and Changelog.txt files....[/edit2]

AussieWombat

I checked the prefab builder and it reads in the coordinates correctly for Alpha 1 to 1.1, Alpha 2 to 5 and Alpha 6.

This is the third Time T.F.P. have changed the position. The program checks which version file you loaded and reads the coordinates accordingly.

I checked the program in the archive just in case I forgot to copy it, but it worked as planned as well.

Maybe something your doing. Is it reporting the wrong coordinates, or not putting your prefab in the map.

Remember , in the prefabs.xml file the coordinates are listed in the " X , Z , Y " format..

AussieWombat

[edit]

I did find one bug though, not related to peppino's query. The draw routine wasn't checking the subblock data when setting the colour of the drawn box. All of the sub blocks were being drawn with the block colour of the same block number. I have rectified, but haven't uploaded the fix yet. I should be able to upload in the next couple of days.

[/edit]

Loving the added block colors Aussie. Helps tremendously to make sure the wrong block was not placed.

Would it be possible to highlight the edge of a box based on what orientation is selected? I know the orientation of blocks vary based on the type of block that is being placed but thought I would ask just in case it hadn't crossed your mind.

I find myself guesstimating the orientation then going back and forth in game to validate if it was correct. Now that the stars on the map is gone now, I have to recreate the game until I am close enough to where I placed the pre-fab.

Alternately, I heard you can make yourself spawn in specified locations through the command console. Will need to see if I can figure that out.

Hi All,

Another Update coming your way. Have added the 'Block Tools' Menu items. Add / remove row, Add / remove column, Add / remove Layer and Fill Layer. Still working on 'Replace Block'

Full archive 7DaysToDiePrefabBuilder_A6_V0.62.zip - All files for program to run

TKN Archive 7DaysToDiePrefabBuilder_TKN_A6_V0.62.zip for those that have the full archive already and just need the TKN replacement file and changelog.txt file.

@ Laz Man, will have a look at how hard your request will be to implement. Yes makes it hard with random spawn points now.

Enjoy. Remember , this program is free to use...

Aussie Wombat

Archived