This feature needs more prominence.

DarkWestern

Many years ago I started a thread defending a mini map with zombie blips on it. I was adamant we needed it. It was taken away in an update and the reason given was it was only ever intended to be a dev tool.

Point is, that level of super perception is like peeling the 1st layer of the immersion onion back and it is only allowed to get you familiar, or scavenging ceases to he tense and full of anxiety.

I would expect that to be a mod. The code to make it work is already there, it just needs to be repurposed for a flagged craftable.

Not for vanilla please. Moddable have at it. Its only use is first principles/getting your bearings, then we should be on our own.

I intentionally left some time before checking this thread again, and I am surprised by the diversity of reactions. I still believe most people give off "I hate it" vibes, but it is nice to see some people who don't completely hate it.

Part of why I'd personally enjoy this feature is because I suffer from severe color blindness. I often times find myself solely living in the snow biome for this reason. Little rocks, nests, enemies, and animals etc POP out from the otherwise plain and white scenery making them easy to identify. The other biomes are a nightmare for me. I blindly paw my way across the ground for a couple hours desperately hoping some random portion of the ground happens to be a nest.

[ Reading that last part back while checking for errors in spelling made me chuckle ]

I know this is a very much a 'me problem' but that's why I specified that simply having the option to toggle, or even further buried beneath the skill tree would make it a nice feature for those who choose to opt into it for their own specific reasons, and those who don't like it can simply ignore it entirely.

One person claimed to enjoy options, and I do to, especially ones that are already implemented.

As far as the mentions of things like pipes, or electronics, sure, common sense would tell you that if you need gas, go to a gas station, but even that common sense is akin to animal tracking. If you know where to find penguins in real life, you look for them in these exact same 'common sense locations' like the snow, but for some reason this point, by comparison to the resource marking, somehow makes more sense despite paralleling one another. Why can't the logic be consistently layered across everything? Only being able to track some things and not others seems inconsistent, especially if we're going to apply the 'common sense locations' logic.

It could even be specialized. An experienced truffle hunter basically has specific locations marked in their heads where truffles would commonly be found, so why shouldn't there be any option to tap into this similar logic using an already programmed and implemented system, and perhaps a couple points in the skill tree if simply toggling it in a setting doesn't feel acceptable? Similarly, a skilled electrician would know exactly which pieces of tech would contain useful chips or motherboards, and in their minds can see which pieces of tech to scrap.

Ultimately, it would be a nice accessibility feature for me, and wouldn't hurt anyone who chose to ignore it, and it's already in the game, albeit only for maybe 5 minutes. I'd also like to pepper in that I do have thousands of hours into this game, and resources like pipes aren't a problem as I know exactly where to find them all. I'd just like the option since it's already a thing in the game. [ as far as programming goes ]

Thanks again for all your replies, keep 'em coming. 👍

20 minutes ago, DarkWestern said:

Part of why I'd personally enjoy this feature is because I suffer from severe color blindness. I often times find myself solely living in the snow biome for this reason. Little rocks, nests, enemies, and animals etc POP out from the otherwise plain and white scenery making them easy to identify. The other biomes are a nightmare for me. I blindly paw my way across the ground for a couple hours desperately hoping some random portion of the ground happens to be a nest.

In Subnautica there is an option seen that highlights all the items you can interact with.

Do you imagine something like that?

10 hours ago, Slaasher said:

it's great that they have it in the tutorial but I definitely dont want to see it past that.

Just curious here, are you against it being an option which could be toggled, or perhaps something you could specialize into through skill tree? No obligation to answer though, I am just curious.

11 hours ago, RipClaw said:

In Subnautica there is an option seen that highlights all the items you can interact with.

Reveal hidden contents

Do you imagine something like that?

Yesss, I loved this feature! Mostly because of my severe color blindness. This was such a 'quality of life' improvement from the original Subnautica for me which practically ruined the first Subnautica entirely.

I get that some people don't want this option, but I also am left wondering why there are those who can simply ignore an optional thing entirely, but would fight against it being something those who need it from existing. I'm still waiting for a lot of answers to this, and I might let it brew another couple of months like last time :)

On 6/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, DarkWestern said:

I intentionally left some time before checking this thread again, and I am surprised by the diversity of reactions. I still believe most people give off "I hate it" vibes, but it is nice to see some people who don't completely hate it.

[ Reading that last part back while checking for errors in spelling made me chuckle ]

I know this is a very much a 'me problem' but that's why I specified that simply having the option to toggle, or even further buried beneath the skill tree would make it a nice feature for those who choose to opt into it for their own specific reasons, and those who don't like it can simply ignore it entirely.

One person claimed to enjoy options, and I do to, especially ones that are already implemented.

Some games already have special options for people with handicaps. Colorblindness may even be so prevalent that the effort for an option just for it may be justified.

But my guess would be that mods might be the better tool to help all sorts of handicapped. In your case it "just" needs an xml setting that can be applied to any block to highlight it like in the tutorial. Maybe it already exists though I suspect not.

As far as the mentions of things like pipes, or electronics, sure, common sense would tell you that if you need gas, go to a gas station, but even that common sense is akin to animal tracking. If you know where to find penguins in real life, you look for them in these exact same 'common sense locations' like the snow, but for some reason this point, by comparison to the resource marking, somehow makes more sense despite paralleling one another. Why can't the logic be consistently layered across everything? Only being able to track some things and not others seems inconsistent, especially if we're going to apply the 'common sense locations' logic.

I think you take logic a bit too far here. "Only being able to "x" some things and not others" is true for many things and very logical.

You can craft concrete blocks but not zombies, you can drive vehicles but not concrete blocks nor zombies, there is a perk to track animals but no perk to track gas stations. There are logical reasons for all of these following from design rules for this game.

Specifically the reasons you can't track everything in this game are: minimising screen clutter, not trivializing the game, have some level of immersion, performance of the game.

I'm not arguing against helping the colorblind with an option or mod here, I'm only saying you will have a hard time to argue that this option is useful for anything else.

It could even be specialized. An experienced truffle hunter basically has specific locations marked in their heads where truffles would commonly be found, so why shouldn't there be any option to tap into this similar logic using an already programmed and implemented system, and perhaps a couple points in the skill tree if simply toggling it in a setting doesn't feel acceptable? Similarly, a skilled electrician would know exactly which pieces of tech would contain useful chips or motherboards, and in their minds can see which pieces of tech to scrap.

Ultimately, it would be a nice accessibility feature for me, and wouldn't hurt anyone who chose to ignore it, and it's already in the game, albeit only for maybe 5 minutes. I'd also like to pepper in that I do have thousands of hours into this game, and resources like pipes aren't a problem as I know exactly where to find them all. I'd just like the option since it's already a thing in the game. [ as far as programming goes ]

Thanks again for all your replies, keep 'em coming. 👍

Archived