Immediate death upon loading my save file - has anyone else had this issue (alpha 20)

Tayrea19

When I load up my current save file, I am killed immediately by seemingly nothing. The game does not reload; it freezes on the death screen and I must force quit and restart the game. Sometimes I must do this three times before I can respawn on my bed. When I respawn, all of my items and armor are gone, and there is no recoverable bag on the map where I died. 

This has happened to me twice in a span of 53 in-game days. I thought that it might be because I exited the game while still riding a vehicle. A friend of mine who plays this game told me that he has had an issue like that. The first time it happened, I was on a bicycle. So I made a mental note to not do that again. However it has just happened again, and this time I know that I was not riding a vehicle, but merely standing beside it. Once again all of my items are gone and I will not be able to get them back.

I checked the log of known bugs, and I wasn't able to find this issue. 

9 minutes ago, Cruggles said:

Having the same issue. Every time I load up my save file.

Every time? Wow, that sucks. I've developed a new strategy - every time I quit now, I unload my entire inventory into a chest. Probably should have started doing this sooner but I really thought the issue was related to vehicles. Doesn't seem like it is anymore.

That usually happens when you quit the game when you've just died. If you don't wait to respawn until quitting , then the game repeats the animation and rewards you with an extra death. 

Next time you die, wait for the respawn options, then respawn, then you can rage quit the game. That way you will be ok.

Edit: I believe it's not so much an intended punishment as a "needs polishing"- oversight

15 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That usually happens when you quit the game when you've just died. If you don't wait to respawn until quitting , then the game repeats the animation and rewards you with an extra death. 

Next time you die, wait for the respawn options, then respawn, then you can rage quit the game. That way you will be ok.

Edit: I believe it's not so much an intended punishment as a "needs polishing"- oversight

That's the thing though. When I had last quit the game, I didn't die. I just got back to my house.

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Yeah like the other user said, this happens when I'm on a vehicle or even just randomly. The last time it happened (a few days ago) I hadn't died at all, I had just exited my motorcycle. I think I'm going to submit an official ticket, after I hear from a few other people.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I see what you're saying. Right, don't quit the game during the death screen. I agree, and that's probably what makes me have to start over multiple times in a row. The problem is, the game freezes on the death screen; it doesn't give me any respawn options. Is there a way I can force it to respawn me? 

2 hours ago, Tayrea19 said:

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I see what you're saying. Right, don't quit the game during the death screen. I agree, and that's probably what makes me have to start over multiple times in a row. The problem is, the game freezes on the death screen; it doesn't give me any respawn options. Is there a way I can force it to respawn me? 

Vehicles used to be able to instakill you on respawn on some edge cases (edit: among other coordinate-related bugs that made vehicles dissappear and/or move FAR away from the player), I think that is fixed in vanilla.

Now, If someone tries to teleport you while the death animation is playing, then your death screen will freeze (that did also happen with those vehicle edge cases as it's also a change of coordinates when you are driving and on the move). The only way to solve this in p2p used to be a simple: exit game, exit steam, restart steam. On servers it should work the same way, except if it's modded, in which case our discussion is a bit pointless as mod issues are not supported for obvious reasons.

I hope that was helpful to you good sir.

If you are dying when you spawn in the game, it’s usually due to quitting the game when on or next to the vehicle. It was supposed to be fixed in A20.4. A quick workaround is, while the game is loading, hit F1 to bring up the console. Type:    tp 0.0.0    Then hit enter. This will teleport your character to map center when spawned and you shouldn’t die. Then you just need to make your way back to your stuff. Note this won’t work on a multiplayer server unless you have admin powers.

Experienced this frequently.  When I've logged near the trader; at the trader; in my horde base; on a vehicle and just standing outside.  When I log in, my screen drags across the ground, through buildings sometimes and I die.  I then have to force quit to restart the game.  Thank you for bringing this up.  I wasn't sure what was going on.  

On 4/20/2022 at 11:44 AM, Star69 said:

If you are dying when you spawn in the game, it’s usually due to quitting the game when on or next to the vehicle. It was supposed to be fixed in A20.4. A quick workaround is, while the game is loading, hit F1 to bring up the console. Type:    tp 0.0.0    Then hit enter. This will teleport your character to map center when spawned and you shouldn’t die. Then you just need to make your way back to your stuff. Note this won’t work on a multiplayer server unless you have admin powers.

Yup, that is exactly what I'm experiencing. Looks like I'm using A20.3 instead of 20.4, so that must be the problem. Thank you for the tip about the console. I'll just have to make a point to not exit the game on or near a vehicle anymore.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:12 AM, Blake_ said:

Vehicles used to be able to instakill you on respawn on some edge cases (edit: among other coordinate-related bugs that made vehicles dissappear and/or move FAR away from the player), I think that is fixed in vanilla.

Now, If someone tries to teleport you while the death animation is playing, then your death screen will freeze (that did also happen with those vehicle edge cases as it's also a change of coordinates when you are driving and on the move). The only way to solve this in p2p used to be a simple: exit game, exit steam, restart steam. On servers it should work the same way, except if it's modded, in which case our discussion is a bit pointless as mod issues are not supported for obvious reasons.

I hope that was helpful to you good sir.

Thank you for you detailed input. I'm not on a server, nor in PVP, and as I learned from another user I'm not even using the most recent version. I'm using A20.3 instead of A20.4, so that is probably the problem. Especially since people are claiming that this issue has been fixed. I guess I will just make a point to not exit the game on or near a vehicle. Until I feel like starting over and opening a new game with the latest version.

Archived