Does anyone remember terrain sculpting?

Broderick_Blaze

Or was it a fever dream sometime after Day 300?

In at least one Alpha release I remember being able to change the shape of terrain blocks with a tool (the hoe perhaps?). You could shift natural terrain blocks such as Forest Ground or Sand through their various states to achieve smooth gradients such as those found in default prefabs or random gen. After owning the game for seven years I've finally turned off the zombies and am exploring the building aspect more thoroughly and the only thing that really stumps me is the meeting of terrain and placed blocks. I'm certain there was an in-game solution to this once upon a time but I've searched and searched (to the limits of my Google imagination at least) and am starting to wonder if I imagined it. Halp.

4 hours ago, Broderick_Blaze said:

Or was it a fever dream sometime after Day 300?

It was never in game, but it was a topic of discussion for a while; with some suggested mechanisms described. Maybe you remember those. Or you might've used the terrain tools in POI designer; I haven't, but some must exists; there's even some usable in creative (not sure if in this patch).

The best in an "honest" game is to damage terrain blocks to a suitable state, they start at full size when placed and shrink with damage taken.

15 hours ago, Broderick_Blaze said:

the only thing that really stumps me is the meeting of terrain and placed blocks.

If you're talking about this sort of thing where terrain kind of pulls away from embedded blocks, I don't think there's ever been a solution to that. You can still take picks/shovels/hammers/fists to terrain to smooth out bumps, though. And you can place blocks to completely flatten an area, either lifting terrain up or smooshing it down.

image.png.257d08661f530b79581966c62c2ae615.png

Archived