How will the new Mods folder location effect having multiple game copies for multiple overhauls?

Evil_Geoff

From what I can figure out, moving the \Mods folder from the main game folder to the %AppData\... folder means that multiple game copies, like one for un-modded, one for Darkness Falls, one for War of the Walkers, one for say, an A19.6 game, etc. won't be possible.

The ability to have multiple versions of 7 Days to Die that have such different "feels" and playing styles is why i absolutely ❣️  this game.  THAT makes the game almost infinitely replayable and such a huge, huge, value.

I like having a Darkness Falls game, a Wasteland game, a vanilla with CompoPack game, etc.

I might be a bit confused.

In order to have different flavors of the game, you have to have multiple copies of the game installed on your computer with its own unique mod folder....so for Darkness falls, you would have one game copy with the DF mods installed in it, for a different mod, another game copy with its mod files installed.

This is what I did with my computer.  I have two copies of 7D2D installed in my folders section, with the original being vanilla and the second one being a copy of the game for my mod I am working on.

Though I haven't been in the forums for awhile so maybe something is changing on TFP's end that I haven't noticed yet?  🤔

Edit:  Yeah I been away too long, I just saw the thread about mod locations being changed with 20.4.  Since I am currently running an older Alpha20 version, I didn't see that....so my confusion is gone now.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, Evil_Geoff said:

From what I can figure out, moving the \Mods folder from the main game folder to the %AppData\... folder means that multiple game copies, like one for un-modded, one for Darkness Falls, one for War of the Walkers, one for say, an A19.6 game, etc. won't be possible.

It is still possible (SylenThunder already tried out one way and it worked) , but not as easy as before.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, Evil_Geoff said:

The ability to have multiple versions of 7 Days to Die that have such different "feels" and playing styles is why i absolutely ❣️  this game.  THAT makes the game almost infinitely replayable and such a huge, huge, value.

I like having a Darkness Falls game, a Wasteland game, a vanilla with CompoPack game, etc.

At the moment nothing has changed as the game looks into both locations.

Now the ball is in TFP's court, after the forum pointed out the problems with parallel installs.

Does anyone know if Fun Pimps are looking at a solution to this , perhaps %appdata%/overhaul1, . . .  I play 3 to 4 overhauls on different servers with a group of friends, would like to get a handle on how this will work.

There's a long discussion about it here:

The tl;dr version:

You can pass a command-line argument to the game executable, and it will save/load your files wherever you specify:

-UserDataFolder=x:\7DTDData

Add that to your 7D2D shortcut (or a copy of it) and you can specify a different location for each mod or set of modlets.

It's also possible to specify this in the server config, though I don't do MP so I wouldn't know.

Here's the post where faatal explained it:

Archived