Null reference exception

Bob Bogey

I received the Null Reference Exception error that appears to affect modders and multi-player users mostly. I'm neither of the above. I play vanilla and solo. Alpha 20 was working fine until today. I watched several YouTube videos and read several post here. Here's what I have done. Deleted the whole game after deleting all my save game files. Delete Steam. Scrub all traces of both from my computer as best possible. Download again Steam and 7D2D. Started the game and again during and during the initialization screen I received the error message (the screen after you select your play option). Oddly, the last world title I enter prior to deleting all save game files, the game itself, and Steam was shown in the map title box. This leads me to believe somewhere a piece of the game that's could be creating the error still lives on well beyond my effort to remove it. After receiving the error message still I next attempted going into the game files on my computer. I sought to delete the saved game files. I maybe novice and less skilled than many in the community here but I opened Programs Files (x86)>Steam>steammapps>common>7 Days To Die>Data>Worlds>Navezgane. There were no saved game file in that folder. I do not have a Random Gen folder. I feel like if I could completely wipe the computer of the game and download it "new" it might work. How can this be accomplished or how do I repair the error of possible. Thank you for thr help in advance. 

The saves are in

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\

or

open the RUN command and enter

%userprofile%\appdata\roaming\7DaystoDie\

The maps are in 'GeneratedWorlds' if you need to move / delete them.

I believe there is a thread for repairing some broken saves.

I'll move this to the Support forum.

So you know, a null reference exception is the game equivalent of your car's check engine light. It's a generic error, which doesn't really narrow it down to a particular class of problems.  The pinned thread in Support should provide instructions for providing a log file among other things.

15 hours ago, Bob Bogey said:

I feel like if I could completely wipe the computer of the game and download it "new" it might work.

From the game  Launcher, select the "Tools" tab, then select the "Clean game data..." tab.

Check all the boxes and press the "Clean" button.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, Beelzybub said:

From the game  Launcher, select the "Tools" tab, then select the "Clean game data..." tab.

Check all the boxes and press the "Clean" button.

Not so experienced. Where do I locate this. 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:58 PM, krit215 said:

Doing this fixed the same type of problems I was having! I had saved my saves elsewhere and was able to get them back by following this ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkteeH5gR6s

Watch the video followed the instructions. Appears I deleted the operating instruction for normal game and had to re-download the game. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve tried all of everything above as well and I’m still getting the same error. I’m not sure if it’s unity's side or something else. I did look on Reddit and someone said it a generic problem of unity's.

i hope someone has found a fix.

the most weirdest part is, last weekend it was working fine and since I didn’t touch the game until today when I was trying to join my friends server. It’s a 6k world as well he’s using but as I said last week I managed to join him fine. 

2 hours ago, marshall7788 said:

I’ve tried all of everything above as well and I’m still getting the same error. I’m not sure if it’s unity's side or something else. I did look on Reddit and someone said it a generic problem of unity's.

i hope someone has found a fix.

the most weirdest part is, last weekend it was working fine and since I didn’t touch the game until today when I was trying to join my friends server. It’s a 6k world as well he’s using but as I said last week I managed to join him fine. 

You need to post a copy of your log file using pastebin. Not all null reference errors are caused by the same thing. The answer to your issue can be found in your log. Post it and someone to suggest a fix.

• 11 months later...