Randomly getting 10 second delays and ping spikes of 3,000-5,000 on dedicated server?

Worrun

I have played multiple servers since December, all of 5-35 population, daily active, some new, some old, some modded, some NA, some UK, some SA hosts, all dedicated hosted servers.

I have recently begun playing a server with a friend who's having it hosted on a decent, premium machine (we've hosted with them before, on a bigger world so that's not the issue) and I am getting random lags like the title says.

I am on a good machine with a very good connection, fibre, etc, etc, no issue there. It almost seems to be solely this server, but the 6 others actively playing aren't really experiencing it bar maybe 1 person, but it's rare.

Any ideas or suggestions? I don't know a single thing about port-forwarding etc

Try running a trace to the server. Run the cmd.exe as administrator. Type:

tracert ip

where ip is the ip of your friends server. This will show the ping to each leg of the connection from you to the server. There are on the average 8-10 legs. For a good connection, each leg should have well below 100ms response. If there is a problem, one of the legs will be noticeably higher than the others. Unfortunately, if there is a bad leg, there really isn’t a fix. It just shows that it’s a problem on that particular internet stop on the backbone. Unless someone else chimes in with a suggestion how how to deal with a bad leg, the only way to fix it is that they fix it on there end or you move to a new location so you get a different path to the server. If the trace is clean with no high response times, the problem could be on the server. Tracert is a fast, easy way to detect internet issues, unless your lag only occurs intermittently. Then I’d be sure to run tracert at the time you are actually experiencing the lag.

17 hours ago, Star69 said:

Try running a trace to the server. Run the cmd.exe as administrator. Type:

tracert ip

where ip is the ip of your friends server. This will show the ping to each leg of the connection from you to the server. There are on the average 8-10 legs. For a good connection, each leg should have well below 100ms response. If there is a problem, one of the legs will be noticeably higher than the others. Unfortunately, if there is a bad leg, there really isn’t a fix. It just shows that it’s a problem on that particular internet stop on the backbone. Unless someone else chimes in with a suggestion how how to deal with a bad leg, the only way to fix it is that they fix it on there end or you move to a new location so you get a different path to the server. If the trace is clean with no high response times, the problem could be on the server. Tracert is a fast, easy way to detect internet issues, unless your lag only occurs intermittently. Then I’d be sure to run tracert at the time you are actually experiencing the lag.

Thanks for the reply - ran the tracert and got 18, 9 and 9, but I'll give it another go as soon as I lag

17 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

9/10 times lag spikes that high are due to failing to exclude your client from security software. This and more is covered in the Pinned Support FAQ thread.

Thanks for the response, this is one of the first fixes I tried - in the end we changed network protocols and have had drastically lower pings and no lag issues since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 7:48 PM, KuebelHund said:

Hey Worrun,

Would you like to explain me specificly, what you've done to fix the problem? I am not that expirienced when it comes to dedicated server hosting for 7DTD.

Thank you in advance!

greetings!

Hey Kuebel,

I'm afraid there is currently no known fix for this exact issue - after extensive testing with multiple players, hosts, server support advisors we have come up with nothing that works but wiping the world and starting again - for everyone.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Fun Pimps need to get these issues fixed. People are paying money for servers and once you get 20+ people on the lag starts which means:

• Vehicles going underground or warping back to where you first got on it.

• Zombies don't load in

• Zombies spawn in late

• Severe rubber banding

• Traders not opening at 6.15

• Trader not giving quests

• Quests unfinishable due to the above zombies not spawning in.

It is way beyond a joke now. They continue to add stuff like banding when the game cannot even handle current assets.

FIX THE GAME

2 hours ago, Cragz UK said:

Fun Pimps need to get these issues fixed. People are paying money for servers and once you get 20+ people on the lag starts which means:

• Vehicles going underground or warping back to where you first got on it.

• Zombies don't load in

• Zombies spawn in late

• Severe rubber banding

• Traders not opening at 6.15

• Trader not giving quests

• Quests unfinishable due to the above zombies not spawning in.

It is way beyond a joke now. They continue to add stuff like banding when the game cannot even handle current assets.

FIX THE GAME

You know the maximum supported player count is only 8, right?

2 hours ago, bdubyah said:

You know the maximum supported player count is only 8, right?

And just to add to this, the known max "stable" (even on extreme hardware) is 18-20. This isn't an MMORPG. It's a small group co-op game.

Most of the issues Cragz UK listed are a result of exceeding the known boundaries of the client, or a result of hardware bandwidth limitations. (Not to be confused with network bandwidth.)

Archived