No picture for my object ( 2 days, i search... )

Dbzes

Hi guy !,

I begin a mod pour 7DTD, my first problem is to apply a picture on my object, this is a screen :

spacer.png

And this is file tree and my file "items.xml".

spacer.png

I tought the CustomIcon is the same name of the picture file in the folder UIAtlases/ItemIconAtlas but is not that :(

Thank for your help.

I rename with your advice and i have the same problem.

It's strange, i download 3 others mods and i see the same construction.

At the beginning i replace my picture by une picture game and i have the same result.

Very strange.

well, I can't see what's going on then, everything looks "correct" to me.  the only thing I can think of is to post your mod somewhere it can be downloaded so other people can load it and verify the problem can be replicated and then try to fix it on their side. If downloadable, I can't promise I can check into it right now, but maybe later today.

Do you still have to put those icons in the icon atlas?

From the xml file

Icons for blocks and items:

If there is a     <property name="CustomIcon" value="blah" />
neither the icon nor a placeholder space are baked into the icon atlas.

The icon atlas is generated at
\Assets\Resources\GUI\Atlases\ItemIcons.png
\Assets\Resources\GUI\Atlases\ItemIcons.txt

9 minutes ago, Dbzes said:

i don't understand your finality ?

That is a question more for dough and stallion.  I just started modding this game myself so I am learning, and icons is something I have yet to do myself.  I am hoping that maybe asking that question jogged their memories if a step was missed.

Hi Dbzes

The icon shows correct for me, I only had to change the name of the icon and its image also to this "admissionSport".
You also have to completely exit the game to see the changes, it is not valid if you only go out to the menu and re-enter.
I guess you also know what to do if you play on server, (Both have to be on server and client side).
Regards

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

That is a question more for dough and stallion.  I just started modding this game myself so I am learning, and icons is something I have yet to do myself.  I am hoping that maybe asking that question jogged their memories if a step was missed.

Correct.  Icons still need to be in the icon atlas folder.

Just got to check up on this and it appears it was a “need to completely restart game” issue. Xml was correct! I’m glad because I wasn’t sure how weird of an issue this was going to end up being :)

fy: I believe this may also be an issue when you make changes to localization.txt (localization changes may not take effect without restart I wasn’t aware graphics (icons) could be impacted by this.  Interesting !

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

On 1/27/2022 at 11:34 PM, doughphunghus said:

Just got to check up on this and it appears it was a “need to completely restart game” issue. Xml was correct! I’m glad because I wasn’t sure how weird of an issue this was going to end up being :)

fy: I believe this may also be an issue when you make changes to localization.txt (localization changes may not take effect without restart I wasn’t aware graphics (icons) could be impacted by this.  Interesting !

Taking a look at the console during the initial loading of the game, this is where everything is loaded in, so making changes is all good, but yes the restart is needed for the game to recheck any newly added assets (icons) or XML edits.

A complete restart is needed for adding assets, like new models or icons. Reloading a save is fine for xml. You can reload UI stuff while using "xui reload" I think it is in the console while in game.

Localization doesn't require a full restart, but it is kind of backwards to xml. Localization only gets updated when the main menu is loaded. So, either when first loading the game, or when exiting a game back to the main menu. So to update it, you need to do it before launching the game, or you need to be in a game and make your changes, then exit to the main menu and then load back into a save. You can also overwrite your xml while in a game, so I usually do both then if editing xml and localization.

7 hours ago, bdubyah said:

You can also overwrite your xml while in a game, so I usually do both then if editing xml and locali

What!? So, any xml file can be changed while in a game and it gets reloaded right after saving the file?  Like you could start making new xml recipes while in game and they just show up?